Author Topic: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread  (Read 15353 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Re: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread
Consider shipping the fixed FRED too. My understanding of the Thunderbolt mission save crash bug is that it's a FRED only bug. So you would not need to replace the 3.6.9 game executable.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Okay... just ran some tests with the new mainbot - works fine, CTD did not appear, although there are now some wild mainbots around with overblown self-confidence
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
how about ordering them to play dead ? or maybe to follow waypoints ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Order them to Kamikazi the Vorchans :)
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
For great justice! :D

Offline Vidmaster

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49392.0.html
is he talking about turning the wheel ?

had a crash on boarding party, but it wasn't the debug. Tried to reproduce it, but failed. I am not sure what I did, it was some time after I had took the BP out. Strange.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Azhren

Just played TBP. Great work!  :yes: :yes: Having the CTD on 'Slipping the Noose' when the GOD satellite powers up its beam weapons. Attempted it twice and crashed twice at the same spot :mad:
Tried running it in OpenAL and Direct3D.

Any updates on fixes for this prob

Thnx

Azhren

Offline 0rph3u5

how about ordering them to play dead ? or maybe to follow waypoints ?

well for "Slipping The Nose" I guess IPA will think of something...
for the "The Wheel Turns" I'm currently working on some "expermential" bits and pieces to "improve" that mission - and I will think of the mainbots on that occasion for sure

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49392.0.html
is he talking about turning the wheel ?

no he is talking about "Midnight on the Firing Line" (the 1st mission of Raider Wars; not the 1st episode of b5 season 1)
since this is a problem which does not replicate I tend to ignore it (but I don't know if IPA or kara will think of takeing care about it)

Just played TBP. Great work!  :yes: :yes: Having the CTD on 'Slipping the Noose' when the GOD satellite powers up its beam weapons. Attempted it twice and crashed twice at the same spot :mad:

Azhern,
we are on that problem right now and Karajorma and I have worked out a fix... it has to be perfected and that is what I'll do for sure until the end of the month
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
no he is talking about "Midnight on the Firing Line" (the 1st mission of Raider Wars; not the 1st episode of b5 season 1)

I've never ever seen a crash on that mission. It's always been rock solid.

Offline Azhren

Azhern,
we are on that problem right now and Karajorma and I have worked out a fix... it has to be perfected and that is what I'll do for sure until the end of the month
[/quote]

Thanx for the update. Keep up the great work!

Azhren

Offline nrm

Chiming in to confirm that the Wheel Turns (Raider m 3) crashes everytime so far here, usually while I'm in the process of immedaitely disabling the narn freighters after they turn hostile. (I've not attempted to first kill their fighters and then disable)

What is puzzling to me that there doesn't seem to be any crash dump generated on this Vista x64 - all I get is this:  :confused:

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   fs2_open_3_6_9.exe
Application Version:   1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp:   4598d08b
Fault Module Name:   fs2_open_3_6_9.exe
Fault Module Version:   1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp:   4598d08b
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset:   00208b4e
OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:   1035
Additional Information 1:   06c0
Additional Information 2:   d2739954b1a0cd3e4d79778155d25e53
Additional Information 3:   26e1
Additional Information 4:   5a03a9be6cbda5fa3d40e45e607fa57a

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID:   471808703

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
Application Name:   fs2_open_3_6_9_debug-INF.exe
Application Version:   1.0.0.1
Application Timestamp:   45a603f7
Fault Module Name:   fs2_open_3_6_9_debug-INF.exe
Fault Module Version:   1.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp:   45a603f7
Exception Code:   c0000005
Exception Offset:   00318bb0
OS Version:   6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:   1035
Additional Information 1:   2468
Additional Information 2:   e23ed73b76aba7093cce9a0dc93aaf36
Additional Information 3:   5392
Additional Information 4:   9382dc70fd74eef0ccdd0dbcc3400dc5

Offline 0rph3u5

@nrm:
the bug you are experiencing is the same as the one Azhren found - but it impacted at different point in the campaign...
the cause of this bug is known by now (thanks to karajorma) and I have already finished a *very basic* fix which should help getting rid of this bug

therefor a fixed version of Raider Wars and a patch for TBP are underway but they will take their time to complete

==================

Offline Vidmaster

question for kara. You are working of a fix for some of the issues, especially for raider wars, yes ?

So, why not include a few other things to solve some silly problems:

- why can't the Psi Fury glide, but the normal can ? Hell, it is almost the same fighter !
- why can't the Thunderbolts glide at all ? there are supposed to be even more responsive and agile as the old furies
- up, lelft, right, down thrust seems a bit underpropulsed on all the furies, compared to the other fighters. The fury was designed to to exactly that, so why don't give it a little bit more thrust. Currently, it is just senseless
- aren't the drazi shooting yellow beams instead of red in the show ? maybe a color change of the drazi beam cannon would be appropriate

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I have no problem with all Star Furies (not all fighters) having glide enabled. We never saw alien ships on the show flying in a newtonian fashion so I would not add glide to those ships on those grounds alone. Up/down/left/right thrust is a different matter. The AI doesn't move in those directions and doesn't know how to handle a player doing it. Unless you want to make the game extremely easy I would leave movement in those directions in it's current toned down state.

These are all extremely minor upgrades though and will just serve to distract from important things, like bug hunting and fixing stability. The drazi beam colour comment is getting into "too much time on hands" territory. If you start pointing out inaccuracies that small this thread is going to get rather large. There are lots. Don't worry about them. Write some missions instead.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
question for kara. You are working of a fix for some of the issues, especially for raider wars, yes ?

I'm only responsible for dealing with code problems. I'm not actually on the TBP team so nothing else is my responsibility.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

- why can't the Psi Fury glide, but the normal can ? Hell, it is almost the same fighter !
- why can't the Thunderbolts glide at all ? there are supposed to be even more responsive and agile as the old furies
- up, lelft, right, down thrust seems a bit underpropulsed on all the furies, compared to the other fighters. The fury was designed to to exactly that, so why don't give it a little bit more thrust. Currently, it is just senseless
- aren't the drazi shooting yellow beams instead of red in the show ? maybe a color change of the drazi beam cannon would be appropriate

that's stuff for IPA and me and NOTHING FOR THIS THREAD
Psi Furies and TBolts can glide, problem is that only players do that; don't think we did not discuss the speed of the thrusters one or the other time in the team -- and it is sufficent eblive me

I checked Season 5 -- the Drazi fire red beams on centauri prime

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
[Further spamming of this bug fixing thread by Vidmaster removed by the moderator]

Offline Vidmaster

is this spam, too ?

- it is possible to fire in the Intro Cutscene of RaiderWars by hitting "fire", you don't see the shots, but you hear the fury firing. You CANNOT in the epiloge. But it's somewhat silly during the attack on Ragesh3
- in PM-PartI, if you press Alt-J when you are NOT in range of the Hermes, you cannot jump out but the Hermes does. You are left behind, the mission doesn't end. (I don't know if that problem occurs in other missions too.)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nah. Both of those sound like legitimate bugs to me. Looking Alpha 1's weapons should deal with the first one quite easily.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
is this spam, too ?

No those are bugs - as well you know :).