Author Topic: TBP 3.4b beta feedback  (Read 23636 times)

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
those exes where not part of 3.4a patch

here's ones that was in the 3.4a patch:

fred2_open_3_6_9.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_debug_INF.exe
fred2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe
fs2_open_3_6_9.exe
fs2_open_3_6_9_debug.exe
fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe
fs2_open_3_6_9_INF_debug.exe

(notice they have underscores not dashes and they are the same files names of current files so it would be a bad idea to delete those, LOL))

Further investigation has reveled that those files where in the original 3.4 msi installer (and most likely my alternate 3.4 installer too)

I can edit the cleanup bat file to clean those files up but, it can not clean up shortcuts in the start menu, those will have to be deleted manually.

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
At least some good news. Played through RW without any major problems. Just my voice seems to be terribly out of place  :)

Sadly, there were one or two strange things: In "nobody expects", if you don't find the bomb, is it intended that this has actually no consequences? The PsiShuttle arrives safely since the Kamikaze Pilot is to slow...
In Hell & back., cb briefing stage 3 shows the FS2 logo. Last and least, the "god rest their souls" file is still a bit quiet.

RW remains great  :nod:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Using the jump effect in the jumpgate looks all screwy now :p It shrinked the size of the vortex in my jumpgate

Yes. It used to be disproportionately huge.

This means I will have to redo all jump effects (in the events)  :hopping:

Yes you will, but on the other hand not having ludicrously huge jump effects is an improvement so stop complaining.

Also, don't all of the ships have the same size as far as vortexes? (or at least, very close to)

No.  They are proportionate unless it's a jump gate being used. In which case in the mod you'd use the warp-effect sexp.

Another thing I noticed: When you use "glide" it will not use any sound unless you are going backwards! (as far as YOUR ship) - Also, being able to change direction in glide... makes it confusing.

Fascinating. Go bug the source code people to change the game engine. Of course with newtonian physics the engines would not need to do anything, and thus make any noise, to propel you in the direction you are already travelling.

(Any way to make the warp effect not transparent unless its at the edges? because then I could make better looking missions with a proper warp effect. (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYB8RcuKbaw&feature=related )

I hope someone is able to answer that question for you.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I need a definite YES or NO on the p_gas10 planet problem. CAN IT BE FIXED?

Yes I have to rebuild the core vp anyway to add Skullar's nameplates which he did not send me even though I requested them twice and nobody mentioned as needed in the thread I posted asking what people wanted including with the title in HUGE SOD-OFF BLOCK CAPITALS. I feel the need to revive the thread and this time add a comment saying I will personally murder brutally anyone who does this to me again.

Hugs and kisses.
Ian
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Found a couple more minor issues with the installer.  Note if you delete the folder like your supposed to these won't happen.  Since you were trying to idiot proof it your deletion batch file need to get rid of a couple more things.  It leaves the batch files that I think were installed with 3.4a.  It also leaves old 3.6.9 exe files.

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH THE INSTALLER

The instructions tell you in plain English to uninstall and delete your Babylon Project folder before installing the new version! Do not blame the installer because you are unable to read English.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Sadly, there were one or two strange things: In "nobody expects", if you don't find the bomb, is it intended that this has actually no consequences?

Try playing on a harder difficulty level.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Hip.

For the new version of the installer please do the following.

1) Remove the code to delete files (since you're never guaranteed to get all of them).
2) Add a warning along the lines of the one written in bold next to the download link. Recommending that users uninstall any old version of the Babylon Project and delete it's directory before installing the new version.

This is the best we can do for the user when it comes to the problem of old files in their directory. These changes in place any further problems they have are down to their own stupidity.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Another thing I noticed: When you use "glide" it will not use any sound unless you are going backwards! (as far as YOUR ship) - Also, being able to change direction in glide... makes it confusing.

I think this one may actually have been fixed in 3.6.10 already actually. I don't think the changes migrated across to the BtRL build (which is what TBP are using) when Turey added in the last batch of glide changes though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Found a couple more minor issues with the installer.  Note if you delete the folder like your supposed to these won't happen.  Since you were trying to idiot proof it your deletion batch file need to get rid of a couple more things.  It leaves the batch files that I think were installed with 3.4a.  It also leaves old 3.6.9 exe files.

THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE WITH THE INSTALLER

The instructions tell you in plain English to uninstall and delete your Babylon Project folder before installing the new version! Do not blame the installer because you are unable to read English.

Hip asked me to try out the installer before those instructions were posted.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline -Norbert-

I was just playing though "Drums of War I" mission 3 "Dropping the Sledgehammer" and a background planet had a black square around it. A moon that is also shown in the background is drawn fine though.
I also tried replaying the mission just in case, but the it looked the same as the first time.
Since I never played through Drums of War in any earlier build, I can't say wether this is due to 3.4b.

In case you need it, my graphics settings are this:
OpenGL 1280x1024, 32 bit, Trilinear filter, 4x anisotorpic Filter
-ambient_factor 65

Boxex checked in "Graphics"
Enable specular
Enable glowmaps
Enable enviroment maps
Enable jpg/tga textures
Enable mipmapping
Disable motion debris
Apply Lightning to Missiles

And I used the INF build that came with the installer (when I played through the EAW Demo I used the "normal" 3.6.9 build, but switched to the INF build since, because I read it was needed by some campaigns).

Since by browser is complaining about there not being enough free space to attach the screenshot directly to the post I uploaded it on ImageShack instead: http://img259.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tbp34bplanetblacksquareoz0.jpg

Offline Vidmaster

I can't say wether this is due to 3.4b.

it is not.

I guess all of us are very unappreciative towards IP :blah: . IP, TBP 3.4b is great! Thanks for sacrificing your free time  :yes:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:17:36 pm by Vidmaster »

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Hip.

For the new version of the installer please do the following.

1) Remove the code to delete files (since you're never guaranteed to get all of them).
2) Add a warning along the lines of the one written in bold next to the download link. Recommending that users uninstall any old version of the Babylon Project and delete it's directory before installing the new version.

This is the best we can do for the user when it comes to the problem of old files in their directory. These changes in place any further problems they have are down to their own stupidity.

I hear and obey o' great darkness!
(it was being a pain in the ass anyway)

I will remove the code and the following will be added to the readme:

IMPORTANT NOTE: It recommended that when installing this version to create a fresh install. You should backup your pilots and any other custom missions or files you wish to save before uninstalling. Go to Control Panel and uninstall any TBP previous versions and delete any old TBP folders before installing this version. Installing over previous versions and patches may cause issues.

How's that?

hip63 :p
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:18:34 pm by hip63 »
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline Vidmaster

use (b) CAPITAL LETTERS IN BLOOD-RED (/b)  :)

Offline Yathin

• Order vs. Chaos. Choose one!
use (b) CAPITAL LETTERS IN BLOOD-RED (/b)  :)

I also recommend increasing the font size of it  :nervous:  :p
"The main motive for going beyond the rim...there's a heck of a big Taco Bell out there...." - JMS

"In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse." - Dylan Jobe

WIP : First Strike

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Don't know if this is a TBP specific problem or not but I just had a crash.

Code: [Select]
Error: ai_find_path tring to find a path (27) that doesn't exist, on ship BI Denubolart
File:D:\C++\Freespace\fs2_open 3.6.9\code\ai\AiCode.cpp
Line: 3873
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 00605b31()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 00606445()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 004bec30()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 004c0ca4()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 004c0e71()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 004926ae()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 00428483()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 010cf640()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 0108567c()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 010af6a4()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 010af25c()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 010a9874()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 0106881c()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 01074d0c()
    fs2_open_3_6_9_INF.exe 0107dc78()
------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the sound crackling I reported previously seems to be only on this specific machine.  Probably the cheap headphones. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Quote from: hip63
IMPORTANT NOTE: It recommended that when installing this version to create a fresh install. You should backup your pilots and any other custom missions or files you wish to save before uninstalling. Go to Control Panel and uninstall any TBP previous versions and delete any old TBP folders before installing this version. Installing over previous versions and patches may cause issues.

Gets the message across. Thank you Hip.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I think this one may actually have been fixed in 3.6.10 already actually.

If that's the case is there any chance you guys can make a concerted effort to keep 3.6.10 compatible with TBP 3.4b? Because I really am not enthusiastic about updating TBP to make it 3.6.10 compatible, and probably won't.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer

It's an error with a pof. Causing the game to stop and a message to appear is no surprise. If the game will not allow you to continue and actually crashes then that's a game engine bug.

I'm assuming you're running the debug build though. In my experience running the release build will make these errors go away. Thanks for the report.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I was just playing though "Drums of War I" mission 3 "Dropping the Sledgehammer" and a background planet had a black square around it.

Yes. Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately I don't know how to fix such errors. Though I know it's no doubt down to the alpha channel of the planet image file. If someone wants to fix it and send me the corrected version I will have a look at it. Otherwise this will remain unfixed.  :(

Offline Vidmaster

It's an error with a pof. Causing the game to stop and a message to appear is no surprise. If the game will not allow you to continue and actually crashes then that's a game engine bug.

I'm assuming you're running the debug build though. In my experience running the release build will make these errors go away. Thanks for the report.

That's the mission where I also encountered the "Brakiri Tashkat bug". Damn, that battle is buggy... :mad: