Author Topic: Shadow Planet Killer  (Read 14906 times)

Offline starlord

That's great! and please, don't think that I don't recognise your work as great. i just want to know if at some point the whole babylon 5 timeline can be "converted" in the babylon project. Anyhow: great work!

It seems that the shadow death clowd is going to be the greatest challenge to put in there. However, with the success the gundam MOD demonstrated in making structure "infiltration" possible (a fighter penetrating the structure through a tunnel), I still keep my hopes up: I think that at one point it will be possible. Perhaps in that way, it will be possible to "recreate" the oh-so missed "babylon 5: into the fire" campaign. This would be great.

Anyway, thank you to all the babylon project team for preserving this universe. i simply wish the renegade legion MOD project could attract so much fans... (perhaps one day).

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Our team tried to implement that Shadow Planet Killer but it is spectacularly difficult to realise for two reasons. 1) It's absolutely enormous. 2) It's spherical with intricate detailing. The two combined results in more polygons than you can shake a surface burrowing nuclear missile at. The failiure of our team involved our best 3D modeller and myself both trying to be as creative as possile but the bottom line is the game engine just isn't up to it.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Bright Idea - Why not make the main part of the Death cloud - the bit you are attacking - a modification of the Luna Surface Model? and make the rest a skybox background?
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Bright Idea - Why not make the main part of the Death cloud - the bit you are attacking - a modification of the Luna Surface Model? and make the rest a skybox background?

Yes obviously. There's your basic premise. Now try matching the geometry to the repeating texture of the sky sphere. What can I say? Maybe we just suck and there's someone more talented out there who can make it work.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline starlord

Actually, I remember a test vid of the gundam MOD where that huge fortress was being penetrated by your fighter and it's core being blown. Wouldn't those persons be able to help you?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cheat. Don't model the killer itself at all. Just stick the player in a dark nebula and spawn missiles at them. Worked in Into The Fire after all. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
That works too. But i would need some structure to do the battle from Call to arms

TRUE SHIVAN

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline hip63

• The DVD Builder Guy
    • hip63's Groovy Galaxy
Cheat. Don't model the killer itself at all. Just stick the player in a dark nebula and spawn missiles at them. Worked in Into The Fire after all. :D

When I first read this post, that's what I thought!  :nod:

hip63 :p
operator: "So what do you need? Besides a miracle. " hip63: "Games. Lots of Games. "
EVGA X58 Motherboard, Intel i7 920 @ 3.8 (OC) GHz Quad Core, Zalman Copper Cooler, 6GB OCZ DDR3 memory, EVGA Nvidia GTX275 (1.8gb mem onboard), 4x 1TB Western Digital SATA II Drives + 1 WD Velociraptor HDD (OS), DVD Drive, Zalman 1000w PSU, Antec Twelve Hundred Case, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Dell 2007WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Pure Gaming Evil Baby!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
If you guys want to take a crack at it go ahead. Just don't look in my direction, and don't say I didn't warn you.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Hmmm-Lots and lots of reskinned (whatever that Terran Drydock Frame from FS Port) With a Karnak Reactor at the centre and something else as the main control-node - just a basic outline....But for good scale the Model should be the size of the Moon surface model, Also when you destroy it, it triggers a Supernova

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline starlord

OH YEAH!!!!! ;7

I didn't understand however: what seems to be the problem using a skybox?
But great ideas anyway, If the death cloud was in, it would be possible to recreate a "into the fire" campaign. Nobody would be cursing on the unreleased game any more.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
To make a planet killer like in Into The Fire is pretty easy. It's the A Call To Arms one that's hard.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline starlord

Why? Wasn't it a shadow planet killer in into the fire? (perhaps vorlon then, as I heard those were smaller).

Offline Yathin

• Order vs. Chaos. Choose one!
Why? Wasn't it a shadow planet killer in into the fire? (perhaps vorlon then, as I heard those were smaller).

both were there I suspect  :wtf:
"The main motive for going beyond the rim...there's a heck of a big Taco Bell out there...." - JMS

"In the BETA, mounting the reverse side of the ladder pretty much resulted in you getting a knife in the ass or worse." - Dylan Jobe

WIP : First Strike

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
If Into the Fire is the end of the Vorlon/Shadow Wars, then they were sitting inside the Planet Killer at the high-point, what do you think was throwing all those missiles at Sheridan?

The reason it is easy to do in that particular episode is because you can't see it really, it's just a dark fog, whereas Call to Arms had very definite structural and subsystem details.

Offline starlord

Yep, It might prove tricky. But it would be a great addition to the babylon project.

Offline terran_emperor

• Kane Live in Death
Well...My idea for the Death cloud - a Back Nebula + a plate structure. This structure is in 3d, the length and width of the Moon Surface plate. It is always alligned with the Sun in the mission. When it is destroyed, it sets off  a series of explosion all around and a supernova

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP Brit

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You could probably do it with detail boxes, since you only actually interact with a tiny faction of the surface, the rest of the model could be made extremely low-detail (since it's hundreds of miles away) and only add the detail to the main part. Of course, even then, it's a really big job, and a hi-poly one too.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Ok a lot of you are on the rights lines but let me tell you guys exactly how to do it. While I'm explaining this please bare in mind Maverick and I knew exactly how to do it and still couldn't actually do it. Due to the enormous poly counts and extreme difficulty making lots of different things hang together in a seemless way.

Your Shadow planet killer consists of three components.

1) Your dark grey stormy nebula. Which you can apply to missions flown inside the planet killer.

2) An enormous planet sized storm textured outer sphere. Which can we used to enclose the planet killer shrouding it in storm when viewed from a distance.

3) The planet killer geometry. At it's lowest detail level this is a planet sized geosphere which sits inside 2). Each face of the geosphere is textured with the same texture, which gives the regular pattern of nodes and connectors of the Planet Killer without the actual polygons. Gaps in the nodes and connectors are pure green in the texture to make it transparent.

The planet killer's geosphere is split into seperate sections. Many of them. In the lowest level of detail you get one face with a single texture as discussed. Subobject detail levels are used so that as you approach one section you get actual geometry in place of the texture representing the same pattern of nodes and connectors.

The number of polygons the SPK ends up taking up depends very much on how many faces you give your geosphere. But it is difficult to avoid the number becoming huge. Even if you choose to provide geometric versions of only certain parts of the overall sphere. You also have a 100 turret limit to contend with.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:37:33 am by IPAndrews »

Offline starlord

Ipandrews, please don't mind me getting a little overexcited on the shadow killer, it's just your project made me discover what babylon 5 was, and I truly think of it as fascinating. I'm not saying though that you haven't already given it your best, and if you did fail (for now, that is), it is likely I will not succeed (especially since I don't know anything about fredding, yet). But perhaps it could be done, even if it meant to segment the mission in several parts, say:

part 1: you approach the planet killer and "see" it from afar.
Part 2: You are inside the planet killer (you past the sections), there fore you are in the midst (we could eventually organise for atray shots firing from everywhere (without seein the turrets): that would make surviving a certain task.
part 3: the core (unsure how this one looks)...
part 4: you are outside dealing with the rest of the drakh fleet while the killer blows and turns "supernova".

And eventually a few sequences to bridge the gaps.

(of course that's only an idea).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 12:08:30 pm by starlord »