Author Topic: Mac Version  (Read 5161 times)

Are there any plans for a Mac or cross platform version of Freespace 2 in the works? It would require switching the renderer to OpenGL, and using something else for everything DirectX...but it would be possible.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
i suppose it could be, but there is no reason to. no one who uses a mac deserves to play Freespace.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Carl
i suppose it could be, but there is no reason to. no one who uses a mac deserves to play Freespace.

How rude.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
psstttt, that would be very cool as my FS-liking friend has a mac and can't play......
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

:lol:

Anyway, I doubt there will be a mac port of FS2 any time in the near future because the community is so small and almost all of us use Windows. With the release of the source code, everyone is busy taking it apart and putting new stuff into the game. ;)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by CP5670

Anyway, I doubt there will be a mac port of FS2 any time in the near future because the community is so small and almost all of us use Windows. With the release of the source code, everyone is busy taking it apart and putting new stuff into the game. ;)

A mac version would be cool, for exactly the reasons stated way up at the top:

It would require switching the renderer to OpenGL, and using something else for everything DirectX...

OpenGL Freespace could be compiled and run on ANY platform: Mac, Win32, Linux, BSD, etc. You want to share Freespace? Make it so other people can play it. Not a good enough reason? How about OpenGL/AL programming would be interesting to learn and a markettable job skill?

Its an interesting direction to go in. Don't just ignore it because its 'a Mac'.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
*ignores it because it's a mac*
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by CP5670

heh, I don't have enough creativity to think of any new features, so I'm working on porting it... the idea would be that it would be portable to ANY platform that supports either DirectX (*cough* Windows *cough*) or OpenGL (pretty much anything).

The big deal is removing all of the Windows specific stuff (system calls & libraries) and the Intel specific stuff (little-endian assumptions).  There's also a lot of non-standard C++ that has crept in (that MSVC accepts, but some other compilers don't).  

And the texture mapping routines (all the tmap*.cpp files in the Graphics dir) are in assembly :mad:

My base platform is Linux, not Mac, but porting from Windows->Unix and DirectX->OpenGL should remove a big chunk of the Wintel dependencies, so it would be a matter of just adding the Mac-specific stuff.
your source code slave

Well, it looks like that there is a good possibility of a Mac Freespace in the far future...As soon as I learn some more about the carbon and Cocoa APIs, I should be able to help...(and I know a good deal about OpenGL, I should hook up with one of the OpenGL porting groups..)

Oh, and Carl, I'm deeply sorry that you're so insecure about yourself that you must make jabs at something simply because its different from what you use. Good luck on recovery!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Originally posted by DaveTheEmbalmer
Oh, and Carl, I'm deeply sorry that you're so insecure about yourself that you must make jabs at something simply because its different from what you use. Good luck on recovery!

...and you were doing so well up until right there.

Offline Inquisitor

Well, a unix port would pave the way to an OSX port, so, not sure this is "far" into the future, depends on the speed of the delivery of the *nix port ;)

Another thing that would be nifty, would be a developer list, things like who has what, I see porting projects as a seperate activity, that a small sub-group of the coders here could take on and do withoutrying about integration of nifty new features.

because if we document those nifty new features, they should be easy to integrate once the port is complete :)
No signature.

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Well, a unix port would pave the way to an OSX port, so, not sure this is "far" into the future, depends on the speed of the delivery of the *nix port ;)

As I frequently put on my progress reports at work, "we are making slow, but forward, progress" :)  The entire thing makes it through the C preprocessor now, so I got the filename thing straightened out, at least...

:V: has done things that irritate me in the code, but I can't blame them since I know what it's like having deadlines (and only needing to support one development platform)...  But here's my top list:
    1. case sensitivity in file names -- the file named MODEL.H is included as "Model.h" "model.h" etc.  My solution was to convert all filenames to lower-case only (and update the #include lines to match)

2. Non-standard C++: using variable and struct members that have the same name as the type (stepped_rotation *stepped_rotation)  I am renaming the probematic typedefs to use _t at the end (e.g., stepped_rotation_t), which is what POSIX does.

3. Non-standard C++ part 2: anonymous structs (the x,y,z in struct vector; and the vectors in struct matrix)  Anonymous unions are part of standard C++, but anonymous
structs?!?

4. Assembly in the texture mapping code.  Dammit.
[/list]
Fixing #2 and #3 will require making a lot of little changes throughout the code (um, vectors and matricies are used a fair amount...).  And #4 will require obviously a ton of work, especially to move to non-Intel processors (PPC, Sparc, ...)

Then there's the DirectX -> OpenGL, but I want to get the existing code to compile completely (using stub headers and libraries for the Win32 and DirectX stuff) before actually changing any functionality.

The good news is that the :V: developers did an outstanding job of separating the functionality (ai, sound, physics, graphics, etc.), so the port should move smoothly...

BTW, I am continuing to test to make sure my changes still work for that stinkin' MSVC compiler...
Originally posted by Inquisitor
Another thing that would be nifty, would be a developer list, things like who has what, I see porting projects as a seperate activity, that a small sub-group of the coders here could take on and do withoutrying about integration of nifty new features.

because if we document those nifty new features, they should be easy to integrate once the port is complete :)

Great idea.  This will take care of two potential problems: multiple people working on the same problem (reinventing the wheel), and making sure people's work doesn't get lost.
your source code slave

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by Carl

So true.
Got Ether?

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
1. It'd take a pretty huge effort, and since there is no FreeSpace for Macs, there are few people on HLP who could USE a Mac FS, and thus even fewer who would be interested in making a Mac FS.

2. If you need an Apple product to use computers, you probably couldn't handle FS anyway. I mean, if two friggin' buttons on a mouse is too much for you, I'd hate to see you trying to use the whole bloody keyboard.

3. See above. Two reasons not to so good that they could count as a third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh as well.

Offline Inquisitor

Now that's just being combative ;)
No signature.

A *nix port would be a good step toward OS X, but there'd still be all the drawing APIs (other than OpenGL. Probably done in carbon) sound (OpenAL?) etc. I don't even want to get into networking =).

Secondly, may I ask a few folks why you insist on demeaning me or my platform of choice? I play Freespace all the time, and I use a Mac. Its not "too much for me" and I'm not unintelligant because I use a Mac. And I have use 2-button mouse. I think a few people here need to take a chill pill, and follow the example of all the other mature, reasonable people on this board.

Now, I didn't want this to turn into some PC vs. Mac flame war, so if you stop the smart comments, I'll stop mine. Fair enough?

Offline Inquisitor

Yes, I am guessing OpenGL and OpenAL as well, that's what Torque uses, and it seems to work on teh OSX machines.
No signature.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I would, but it's too fun to make fun of Macs, and right now I'm in the mood for an easily ridiculed target.:D

And like I said. Unless you're gonna do it almost solo, it's not gonna happen, because few, if any, others here use Macs.

...and those that do have trouble sorting out how to open specific threads.:p I couldn't resist.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Kazan will probly get a lot of the hard stuf done,
he wants a Linux port like I want a woman :nod:
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
...which, even after partial sterilization by excessive exposure to monitor-generated EM radiation, is still a lot?:p

I woulda thought Linux could port FS...