Author Topic: Worried, to Distraught, to Relieved. I.E. B5 TV Reboot Announced  (Read 4261 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Worried, to Distraught, to Relieved. I.E. B5 TV Reboot Announced
So my wife discovered this on the internet through Facebook and obviously didn't read the entire thing, because she thought it was legit.  I hadn`t heard a thing about it so I was skeptical from the get-go.  I was initially worried that they`d screw it up and make something completely rubbish.  Then as I read more, I was SURE they`d make complete rubbish.  Then as I read the rest of it, I became certain that the entire STORY was complete rubbish.  Reading the comments at the bottom confirmed it.  That gave me relief that no upstart would be destroying such a masterpiece that is Babylon 5.

Have a read: https://crudereviews.net/2018/08/22/breaking-babylon-5-reboot-in-the-works-snyder-named-as-showrunner-wahlberg-to-star/

That said, if the idea of a B5 reboot interests you, read THIS.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
Re: Worried, to Distraught, to Relieved. I.E. B5 TV Reboot Announced
You should all take a look at Straczynski's Twitter:

So bottom line, folks, and while I appreciate the conversation, stone cold fact is a B5 film *cannot* be done for under $60M at MINIMUM, so there's really no point in going round-and-round on this unless you have that in your bank account and want to send it my way.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1081784778653786112

:nervous:
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline wesp5

You should all take a look at Straczynski's Twitter:

So bottom line, folks, and while I appreciate the conversation, stone cold fact is a B5 film *cannot* be done for under $60M at MINIMUM, so there's really no point in going round-and-round on this unless you have that in your bank account and want to send it my way.
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1081784778653786112

Remastering the series would indeed be much better in my opinion! One of Foundation Imaging's SFX guys, Mojo, is posting pictures on Facebook on how great the CGI could look today.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Relief...

Babylon 5 is one of the series that can only be worse in a Reboot... i can not imagine how B5 could be better than it currently is, because all current TV shows still have the same concept with this story arcs.

So maybe it is good, that B5 is dead like it's cast...

B5 with a clearer picture and new CGI scenes could still compete to current shows. I mean, the worst episodes of new shows are also still on the same level as B5's crap. ^^
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:18:48 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't want to see a reboot of B5. If you're going to reboot, reboot Crusade as that show never had a chance thanks to all the executive meddling. Actually, you can call the new show Babylon 5 if that helps it get made, have the ship occasionally go there if you need recognition. Just don't reboot the original five year arc.

And tell the fans that it's a Crusade reboot. That won't mean anything to the general public but the fans will understand it well enough that most of us would get behind it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
[snip]

I for one approve of this notion!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

[snip]

I for one approve of this notion!

It sounds reasonable. That most likely means that if it was to happen, it won't happen this way.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
How about a mini-series set on Babylon 4, after the events of "War Without End", as Sinclair/Valen tries to reform Minbari society and defeat the Shadows?  As inspiration, there is a Parallel Universe story (and personal favorite) that includes a portion in Volume 5 called the Tales of Valen.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline wesp5

How about a mini-series set on Babylon 4, after the events of "War Without End", as Sinclair/Valen tries to reform Minbari society and defeat the Shadows?

That would be nice as a TV movie for Babylon 5 fans, but I doubt you could sell a show with only aliens in it to the normal public. I would rather see the Telepath War movie or as suggested a remake of Crusade...

Offline Luis Dias

Damon Lindelof: “Obviously we want to stay loyal to the original show, and all the incredible drama and tension that it was so well known for. A lot of the original show focused heavily on political intrigue and that sort of thing, but we think the fans really want a more action-packed, emotionally intense story, with more direct conflict between the characters.”

THEY'RE DOING IT AGAIN.

STOP THEM.

SOMEONE.

PLE

oh **** it's april fools day

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
... If you're going to reboot, reboot Crusade ...
Totally agree.
I wish the same. That show could have been as big as B5 if they had let it grow and mature.

But, i dont want a movie, no way. The essence of B5 was the concept of long story arcs, that the thing you do matters and that actions have consequences.
A movie is to short.
In that case, I prefer a B5 reboot, with Straczynski in total control of story decisions.

Warner Brother is going to launch his own "netflix", so maybe.. who knows...
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)