Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82891 times)

Offline Sololop

Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
That is awesome.

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
So, uh, what's the verdict on what the big bullseye on the side does? :P
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So, uh, what's the verdict on what the big bullseye on the side does? :P
Light up and look pretty. Nothing has been designed for it, dunno if anything will be. It does its current job very well:
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I always thought it was a giant docking port.  That's where the ship hooked up for resupply.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I always thought it was a giant docking port.  That's where the ship hooked up for resupply.

Same here, but the airlock we use was the one marked as the docking point.

Update time! Got a nice one today too:

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
BTW, what server is this on?  I want to see it in person as it were.

---------

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

qaz's see the details in the OP
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

qaz's see the details in the OP

Well, see the OP Here. It's on Rhx/Qaz's server.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
Thank you, wasn't sure where exactly it was.

---------

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
After a tour of the ship, I have to say, good work guys.  It looks very good.

Suggestions for future additions:

A proper mess and galley.  Yes, you have the lounge, but there should be a very basic mess for the crew to eat at.

Ammunition storage.  The Fenris originally came with a missile launcher, so their should be a place to store that.

A brig, every ship has a brig somewhere.  Also a security office and various weapon lockers.

A laundry.

Crew quarters (bunkbeds, of course).

I know I saw the reactor, but where are the subspace coils?  They're supposed to be big, so they should be somewhere in the hull (forward section perhaps?).

Auxiliary control, in case the CiC gets taken out.

Cargo stores.

When I get some time, I'll try to help, but I have other projects first.

---------

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
You suppose when this is done a video would make it to the MineCraftForum front page?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

You suppose when this is done a video would make it to the MineCraftForum front page?

Well, I just took a peek inside. And I can say that yes, there is a very good chance that could happen.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam

Well, I just took a peek inside. And I can say that yes, there is a very good chance that could happen.
I could see making a 480p tour for youtube... and for a finished Fenris I'll suffer the upload time. How far it gets is up to whether or not the people of minecraft have good taste.  :p  However, when it is done, I will be combining all of my screenshots into a nice big .7z file and putting it on mediafire, along with a link here.

After a tour of the ship, I have to say, good work guys.  It looks very good.

Suggestions for future additions:

A proper mess and galley.  Yes, you have the lounge, but there should be a very basic mess for the crew to eat at.

Ammunition storage.  The Fenris originally came with a missile launcher, so their should be a place to store that.

A brig, every ship has a brig somewhere.  Also a security office and various weapon lockers.

A laundry.

I know I saw the reactor, but where are the subspace coils?  They're supposed to be big, so they should be somewhere in the hull (forward section perhaps?).

Cargo stores.

Ah, thank you very much for the list! there are a few things on there (*cough* Subspace Coil  :nervous:) that I know at least I didn't remember or think of.

Ideas are helpful, there is a lot of room in Fenris and it can't all be crew's quarters. Seriously, can you imagine how boring that would be?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yep, those are the parts of the Enterprise that didn't make it on TV on a weekly basis. :p

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
here is a random list, not sure which of these you have.

Machine shop

Damage control stations (lockers that contain equipment for patching hull breaches and temporarily shoring up the ship structure)

First aid points

Captain's quarters

Sensor control/equipment/maintenance room under the radar dish

food/general waste disposal/re processor

bathroom/toilets

Air Handling Compartment/temperature control

Most of these are based on a schematic I dug on on the Astute class

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Already planned. :)

I'd thought of this back at the outset but had since forgotten about it - thanks!

Ah, hadn't thought of that yet!

A laundry.

Also hadn't thought of that... not sure how we'd implement it though... dispensers maybe?

Yup, those will be the secondary armor layer between the outer hull and the vitals. They'll go in last, to fill up any and all unused space.

Ahh, perfect! That's what those side red things can be, Hades! We'll have to carve out room for the internals - I'll try to do that tonight.

Maybe, but did you see where the CIC is located? If that gets taken out, the entire ship will have been carved up already and out of commission. Still, I guess an internal problem could knock the CIC out, so this makes sense. ;)

Cargo stores.

Ooh, good one... does it make sense for the existing airlocks to be used for cargo conveyance, or should we be looking on the texture for markings to indicate secondary dock points?

Make sure to ask for creative mode from qaz if you get to that point... I don't think he'll hand it out willy-nilly, but for work on the Fenris he's been willing.

Machine shop

Good one. :)

Damage control stations (lockers that contain equipment for patching hull breaches and temporarily shoring up the ship structure)

First aid points

These are great ideas, they're just the thing we needed to break up the monotony of those infernally-long corridors - little alcoves scattered about.

Captain's quarters

I think Kyad may have already done those - enter thru the airlock, head forward, and turn towards the middle at the end of the corridor - there's some quarters in that cross-section.

Sensor control/equipment/maintenance room under the radar dish

Also something I had planned a while back and since forgotten - thanks. :)

food/general waste disposal/re processor

bathroom/toilets

Air Handling Compartment/temperature control

We'll probably lump all that (besides the bathrooms of course...) into one large "Environmental Control" room somewhere. :yes:

Bathrooms will be part of each officer's quarters, centrally located near crew quarters, and strategically located near crowd-gathering facilities (mess hall/lounge, bridge, engineering, etc).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:50:08 am by Sandwich »
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
God damn it!  I know what those giant targets are on the side of the ship are!

They're the emitters for the subspace coils!

Think about:  The Fenris is old, probably the first war ship built for regular subspace travel.  Early subspace drives would have been very, very large.

It explains the design of the ship, this 4 pointed star.  At the center is the subspace drive to ensure that EVERY part of the ship is in range of the coil and it's associated repeaters.  That means the fore section is the main weapon array (which it is), top section is probably crew quarters, rear is engines, lower section being machine shop/ammunition storage.  And at it's heart is a subspace drive to make the whole thing move.

My thought on the design:  Build a plasma conduit down the center of the ship, lower end.  Have it split off to each of the new coils in the middle, and have one more branch to the fore section.  This would give a power spine to the ship and explain why the Fenris could be in continual use as it always had enough power for things like beam cannons and such.  The coils themselves should be bigger than the actual bullseyes, but not by too much.  Probably only 3 or 4 rings in, with various catwalks for maintenance.  At the center should be a giant box which is the emitter itself, and it's connected to the bullseyes.  I'm thinking use glowstone for the rings, though it would be awesome if you could make them appear to move using some cleverly built pistons.

---------

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yeah, I was afraid of that... not sure if we're up for a total redesign like that at this point... :-/
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
I think you can do it just as it is now, actually.  The power spine can go underneath the current CIC, or you can go over if that's easier.  Split it around the elevator.

The coils don't have to stick too deep into the hull.  Maybe 10 - 15 tiles in, depending on space.  They'll still be big around, but you don't have much in the center section besides the CIC and the shaft, so there should be more than enough room.

Of course, there may only be one "coil" on each side.  A giant loop that connects back to the emitter box which then connects to the plasma conduit.  A lot of it can be "buried" in the bulkheads (AKA, not really there) and that won't take as much space up.

I think it could be done without too much fuss.  It's not like we have to get everything accurate, since there isn't anything to be accurate about.

---------

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
And I just realized you were talking about redesigning EVERYTHING.  Moving the lounge and such.  Don't worry about that.  We can claim this ship is a semi-retired museum ship, built more for wining and dining than combat.  The garden could have been an old cargo bay, the lounge a former gym that could have been used as a mess if necessary.  Leave it all just as it is and just build around the current stuff.  Like I said, it's not like we have anything to be accurate about here.

---------