Author Topic: GTC Fenris in Minecraft  (Read 82900 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: GTC Fenris in Minecraft
Who said what exists has to replace anything on the list at all? There can be a lounge and a gym, there can be the garden and a cargo area... and really we need that 'and' (see: size of ship). We're still adding major rooms like a mess hall, and the Fenris is far from done.

The only image we have of a subspace coil is a small one that looks kinda like a cyclops for fighters, and it is very contained with no real external emitters (Apollo would be the same age or older then the Fenris right?). If that is anything to go by, then the Fenris's coil can just go on the underside of the nose and call it a day.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
I'm talking the inter-system drive.  The intra-system drive could have been very small, but we know the inter-system drive was very large for a very long time.  And the Fenris is one of the oldest ships, so it seems logical it has one of the largest inter-system drives.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I'm talking the inter-system drive.  The intra-system drive could have been very small, but we know the inter-system drive was very large for a very long time.  And the Fenris is one of the oldest ships, so it seems logical it has one of the largest inter-system drives.

It has beam cannons on it, making it FS2-era. To put in beam cannons they needed a reactor upgrade. I bet they could have upgraded the coils too, making it not-so-old anymore. Also the image we have of the subspace coil is a fighter-sizeed version of the inter-system coil to follow the lucifer, not just an intra-system.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:58:35 pm by KyadCK »

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
It has beam cannons on it, making it FS2-era. To put in beam cannons they needed a reactor upgrade. I bet they could have upgraded the coils too, making it not-so-old anymore. Also the image we have of the subspace coil is a fighter-sizeed version of the inter-system coil to follow the lucifer, not just an intra-system.

I'm not so sure the Fenris would need a complete reactor replacement.  If it had the power distribution network (the spine) already as part of the core structure, smaller modifications to the reactor could be made without ripping it out.  The Typhon had problems, but that's likely because it wasn't designed to be upgraded in such a way.  It was always regarded as "less practical" in terms of design, so it's entirely possible that it wasn't just the reactor that was the problem, but the entire power distribution system.  Might have caused feedback or drained power in ways unforeseen by it's designers.

It's also possible that if the coils are built into the ship's structure, it may be impossible to replace them without tearing the ship apart.  Even if they installed a new coil, they may not have been able to remove the old one.  Plus big giant coils are cool looking.  Still, we know the inter-system drives are bigger because they COULDN'T get them on a fighter, but they could get an intra-system drive on there.  Could they have replaced it?  Sure.  Would they?  Not so sure they would have bothered, especially if it's been running fine for nearly 50 years, why change it out now?

---------

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
In the FS2 Tech Room, the animation for the Subspace entry has a nice-looking subspace drive we could replicate. It doesn't give any indication how large it is, so we could scale it to fit wherever it's needed...
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Still, we know the inter-system drives are bigger because they COULDN'T get them on a fighter, but they could get an intra-system drive on there.

The cutscene showing the subspace coil was to show the new ability to track the lucifer into subspace (in the inter-system jump) and told us that our fighters were equipped with it. You jump into the deneb/sol node to follow the lucifer in a fighter. If I remember correctly you also jump into a node to get out of Capella in a fighter at the end of FS2, and in 'Into the Lions Den' after taking out all 3 comm nodes. Fighters are more then capable of doing inter-system jumps by the FS2 era, and those are 3 canon missions backing it up.

In the FS2 Tech Room, the animation for the Subspace entry has a nice-looking subspace drive we could replicate. It doesn't give any indication how large it is, so we could scale it to fit wherever it's needed...

Thats what I was thinking, we could probaby fit it into the underside of the nose and use the main body for other stuff, unless there are windows I dont remember down there. Or above the engine if we just stretch it along its length.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
I'm aware of what you're talking about, I'm just saying the Fenris is OLDER than the model they're putting on the fighter.  MUCH older.  And I think it would look cool.  Very cool.

---------

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'm aware of what you're talking about, I'm just saying the Fenris is OLDER than the model they're putting on the fighter.  MUCH older.  And I think it would look cool.  Very cool.

sticking a nether portal at one end of the coil would be fun
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I'd like to tie in the subspace coil from the tech room cutscene with the purposeless red button things on the hull - call them field emitters or whatever. While it might have been cool to have pipes and conduits running throughout the ship, at this stage in the development, it's too late to tear everything apart. An elevator or a room, perhaps, but not remodel the entire innards.

So, here's what I'm thinking. We run a conduit between the two red buttons (directly or not, I don't know) and in the middle of that conduit, carve out a largish spherical room (~30m), and plop the subspace coil (~20m length) in the middle of it. The vertical piping running up and down the central hull can be coolant pipes coming from a reservoir on deck 1, cooling off the emitters, and then flowing down to the recycling pool on deck 13. :p

I think if we run the button-to-button conduit directly, it will cut through the bridge, so perhaps we could get qaz to relocate it somewhere en masse?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
sticking a nether portal at one end of the coil would be fun

It would interfere with other nether gates (the one next to station) in the area, but I think Qaz said we're going to wipe nether anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem.

They are still making them by the end of FS1 in theory and probably even later after that, you're going to tell me they use the same crap 10+ year old jump drives that probably take more power and take longer to recharge? This is all speculation, but come on.

I'd like to tie in the subspace coil from the tech room cutscene with the purposeless red button things on the hull - call them field emitters or whatever. While it might have been cool to have pipes and conduits running throughout the ship, at this stage in the development, it's too late to tear everything apart. An elevator or a room, perhaps, but not remodel the entire innards.

So, here's what I'm thinking. We run a conduit between the two red buttons (directly or not, I don't know) and in the middle of that conduit, carve out a largish spherical room (~30m), and plop the subspace coil (~20m length) in the middle of it. The vertical piping running up and down the central hull can be coolant pipes coming from a reservoir on deck 1, cooling off the emitters, and then flowing down to the recycling pool on deck 13. :p

I think if we run the button-to-button conduit directly, it will cut through the bridge, so perhaps we could get qaz to relocate it somewhere en masse?

We could run lines from the existing place, along the hallways (or in the redstone floor above them), up above the engine and put the coil there. Would make sense since every time you take out the engines of a ship the ability to jump dies too, not to mention it being next to the reactor core and coolant lines. as for it being spherical, we could take the design and stretch it along the ribbed axis, the only example we have isn't very spherical anyway.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
We could run lines from the existing place, along the hallways (or in the redstone floor above them), up above the engine and put the coil there. Would make sense since every time you take out the engines of a ship the ability to jump dies too, not to mention it being next to the reactor core and coolant lines. as for it being spherical, we could take the design and stretch it along the ribbed axis, the only example we have isn't very spherical anyway.

Well what I'm jumping at here is a justification for what is arguably the most visible external texture feature, those red buttons. That's why I'm wanting to position the coil so that the placement of the red buttons makes sense - otherwise we would just ignore them and move on. They are the main reason we're wanting to place a subspace coil in the first place.

As for the whole disabling the engines disables the jump drive thing, it could be explained that the jump drive makes the ship vibrate enough to open the subspace node (according to canon explanations), but the regular ol' action-equal-and-opposite-reaction engines are still required to push the ship into the node, and once inside, along the subspace corridor too.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Today we have:

1st level mess hall:

And more glass siding:

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
It really is your call guys, you're doing most of the work.  I'd still centralize the subspace drive, not put it in the nose section.

---------

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
You can try out another kind of chair for the mess hall. 1 slab with a sign for the backrest and optional signs for the sides. I think it would be interesting to see some varieties in chair type. Already got the new tables, and those are awesome. :yes:

Ooh! When you're finished, you need to make maps, probably near the drop shafts and elevator.
Like in a mall, "You Are Here" and stuff.
Also, a map in image form would be appreciated so we can see all the cool stuff.

Offline KyadCK

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Ooh! When you're finished, you need to make maps, probably near the drop shafts and elevator.
Like in a mall, "You Are Here" and stuff.
Also, a map in image form would be appreciated so we can see all the cool stuff.

Well I could cheat and use Sandwich's outlines for deck-by-deck plans I guess, even if they don't quite line up. I can't see doing 'You Are Here' maps without a texture pack though, its well beyond what can be done with signs.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd like to reserve a cabin plox.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The thing with in-game maps is that currently, they're set at a fixed 8-meter (IIRC) resolution, so the 253-meter Fenris appears on the map as a whole 32 pixels long. I just tweeted Notch & Jeb regarding the ability to control map zoom factors, but perhaps qaz/rhx could see if there's any SMP mods for controlling a map scale? Even if it's something that has to be edited manually, we could set map_0 as a Fenris map with a scale of 1:1, make 27 copies, and stick them in a double-chest at the entrance for people to grab while touring around.

I'd like to reserve a cabin plox.

We're working off the guesstimation of a full crew complement of 400, out of which 100 are officers and 300 are enlisted men. We had to figure that out to figure out how large the enlisted's mess hall had to be. It currently seats 100, but we're doubling that by making it two floors, so we'll have 200 seats total. Since a typical 3-shift rotation would leave 200 crewers off-duty at any one time, 200 is all we need. Officers will get their own (smaller) mess hall of course.

All that to say that we'll also need to set up cabins for 400 crewers. We've got a 10x10 BSG-style enlisted cabin with room for 15 beds which we'll probably use most often. Senior officers will probably have their own cabins, while junior officers will probably have 2 per cabin. Figure 20 single-occupancy & 40 double-occupancy cabins for the officers, and 20 15-occupancy cabins for the crew... I think there'll be room for everyone. :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:32:08 am by Sandwich »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I want officers quarters please. With en suite and minibar.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I volunteer as ship security chief. Can I has private cabin plz?

I also have a idea for a lava based cell design that leaves it impossible (in theory, still have to try it out in practice) for people to escape without warping.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.