Author Topic: In-game options menu discussion  (Read 3418 times)

Offline m!m

In-game options menu discussion
Thanks to the work of mjn.mixael and libRocket (see the High Resolution UI system thread for more information) it is now possible to build new user interfaces relatively easy. Since FSO lacks a fully featured in-game options menu, mjn.mixael and I decided that we would like to build a user interface for that next. This will require changes to the engine since most of these settings have been managed by the launcher until now.

The reason I am creating this thread is that I would like to collect some input on what this new system should be able to do.

Here is my current plan:

The system will have a list of options that are separated into various categories (e.g. Graphics, HUD, ...). This system will be dynamic so Lua scripts could add their own options if necessary. I also plan on adding an "Expert level" to each option which would allow to show or hide certain options depending on what the user specified.
There have been some discussions on how to allow mods to override the values of certain options. At the moment I'm thinking that there will be a number of game_settings options which would specify the override value. This would automatically increase the expert level of this option to the highest level so that the option is hidden in almost all circumstances.

Please let me know what you think about this and how it could be improved. I'm still in the design stage for these changes so nothing about this is set in stone yet.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: In-game options menu discussion
We're not currently talking about lighting settings, right? I know we'd like to include that in the future, but I think that's a separate project.

The list of commandline options I have listed to move into the in-game options are as follows.

Code: [Select]
Graphics:
Resolution: Choice
Window Mode: Choice (Fullscreen/Borderless/Windowed)
FOV: Range
Motion debris: On/Off
3D Shockwaves: On/Off
Soft Particles: On/Off
Post Processing: On/Off
AA: Choice (None/FXAA/...)
Framebuffer Effects: Choice
Shadow Quality: Choice
Anisotropic Filtering: Choice
VSync: On/Off
3D warp: On/Off

HUD:
Ballistic Gauge: On/Off
Dual Scanlines: On/Off
3D radar: On/Off
Rearm Timer: On/Off
Target Info: On/Off

Interface:
3D Ship choice: On/Off
2D Ship choice: On/Off
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline m!m

That list is only based on the command line options. Other options (such as the selected joystick) will also appear in the options menu.

Could something like this - https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95100.0 - be implemented along with that?

Offline m!m

Bloom intensity will probably be part of the settings but otherwise that has nothing to do with the in-game settings menu.

OK, was just wondering. In-game setting menu is a pretty cool thing too. :yes:

Offline Kiloku

• Buzzbuzz!
    • Minecraft
Picking which audio device to use would be a good one. It's happened before to me that I had to close the game just to switch to headphones when the rest of the house went to sleep and I needed to keep it low.
Potato!

Offline m!m

I am still working on adding all the options to FSO. I decided to make the new options system opt-in by the mod to make the transition to the new system easier. Since the new options also need new assets that made sense to me.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I am still working on adding all the options to FSO. I decided to make the new options system opt-in by the mod to make the transition to the new system easier. Since the new options also need new assets that made sense to me.
I've tested your recently build, and I discovered these options aren't working yet. You are still working on it.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline m!m

I've tested your recently build, and I discovered these options aren't working yet. You are still working on it.
:wtf: Is that supposed to be a question? If not then you need to work on your wording since you should never make statements about what other people are doing unless you talked to them...

The first version of the options system is done. You still haven't provided any detailed information about what "isn't working"...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
:wtf: Is that supposed to be a question? If not then you need to work on your wording since you should never make statements about what other people are doing unless you talked to them...

The first version of the options system is done. You still haven't provided any detailed information about what "isn't working"...
The functionality of saving of the "setting" in the options menu, I mean.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline m!m

That is working in my tests.