Author Topic: RELEASE - Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius  (Read 417746 times)

Re: RELEASE - Blue Planet: Age of Aquarius
An incredible tour-de-force! I (and everbody else, no doubt!) eagerly await a sequel!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
Also, people, no, the Eriana mentioned in the last debriefing isn't the parallel universe's Eriana.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Darius

Spoiler:
Also, people, no, the Eriana mentioned in the last debriefing isn't the parallel universe's Eriana.

That's up to you to decide :P

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Dammit, i got mixed up. Nevermind.

Spoiler:
Though I bet it's not her. :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Excellent Campaign just finished it tho some tough missions gave me pause, I did eventually overcome them.

Spoiler:
Good interesting and unique story, loved the mixing in of the Vishnu Brahman and Shiva stuff.

And I liked the command music from the dune miniseries hehehe.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Spoiler:
By the way, did anyone else get some distinct Vorlon/Shadow impressions (without the ideological conflict present in B5)?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I noticed one mistake . The capital of GTVA is Beta Aquilae , not Delta Serpentis .

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Indeed, Delta Serpentis was the capital of GTA from the collapse of Sol node in 2335, to formation of GTVA in 2358, when the role of capital was assumed by Beta Aquilae.

Spoiler:
Not that it matters much, because if I recall correctly, the mission(s?) in Delta Serpentis occurred in the alternate universe. I could be wrong, though, I've had my share of that already in this thread... :lol:

...anyway, if I remember right this time, the subtitle makes even less sense because GTVA never existed there in the first place, and it is also arguable that GTA never set the Delta Serpentis to be their capital either, what with being quite defeated and in hiding.

Perhaps the mention of capital could just be dropped from the subtitles...
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Spoiler:
Actually , when they got into that alternate universe , they brought the GTVA with themselves . And I think that the mention of capital should remain . It gives more interest somehow

Beta Aquilae was the capital anyway , so it should remain so . Delta Serpentis wasn't . Though I never played Silent Threat ...

Spoiler:
The missions and music hold the campaign together. This makes it a good play even though I never really got into the storyline. I mean I can tell you're aiming for a Transcend type of "mystic" effect, but it gets thin in places. In hindsight the whole Duke-happens-to-get-hit-with-psychic-waves-out-of-nowhere thing sounds kind of random. What's the point of the story... the Terrans convert to Bhuddism? What happens to the Vishnans... they said that the Terrans/Vasudans where "the people they were looking for", but they don't do anything about it other than restore the jump corridor to Sol, in other words putting the GTA back where it was pre-FS1 and then leaving them there. The final debrief talks about how Terrans are now "more human" and "fully embrace their humanity", but it doesn't explain exactly what happens... nothing is accomplished; the universe is back where it was pre-FS1, except with the GTVA instead of the TV War.

Don't take this as criticism; I enjoyed the campaign. The story is just odd.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Spoiler:
The missions and music hold the campaign together. This makes it a good play even though I never really got into the storyline. I mean I can tell you're aiming for a Transcend type of "mystic" effect, but it gets thin in places. In hindsight the whole Duke-happens-to-get-hit-with-psychic-waves-out-of-nowhere thing sounds kind of random. What's the point of the story... the Terrans convert to Bhuddism? What happens to the Vishnans... they said that the Terrans/Vasudans where "the people they were looking for", but they don't do anything about it other than restore the jump corridor to Sol, in other words putting the GTA back where it was pre-FS1 and then leaving them there. The final debrief talks about how Terrans are now "more human" and "fully embrace their humanity", but it doesn't explain exactly what happens... nothing is accomplished; the universe is back where it was pre-FS1, except with the GTVA instead of the TV War.

Don't take this as criticism; I enjoyed the campaign. The story is just odd.

Spoiler:
I don't think it was a random thing that happened to the Duke. Sam said something about voices from his dreams, so I strongly believe that it was the Vishnans that took the Duke's crewmembers, luring the 14th to the N362 system.

Hmm... makes sense now.
Spoiler:
They had to grab Alpha 1 alone (assuming they couldn't just psycho-grab his fighter like they usually did) so the fleet had to be lured to Vishnan space.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:01:06 pm by Mustang19 »

Offline Darius

Damn. That Delta Serpentis capital mistake seems serious enough to warrant a mission fix. I'll upload the new mission a bit later with adjustments.

For some reason I got somewhere that DS was the GTVA capital (but then if BETAC was made in BA it makes a bit more sense to have it as your capital...  :blah:)

BTW: Feel free to use any music from the campaign that you wish, and credit the artists as per the credits.txt file :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 07:23:01 am by Darius »

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well it might have been the capital or not; Maastricht is not the capital of European Union, even though the Maastricht treaty is formally known as Treaty on European Union. Likewise, Philadelphia wasn't the capital of US of A the last time I checked. And Kyoto is not the capital of environmentals, but that's besides the point...

I don't know why they decided to make Beta Aquilae the capital of the Alliance, it could have just been a place to sign the treaty and be done with it. Probably they needed some place to call a common capital for propaganda reasons... And, they probably couldn't have selected mostly terran-populated D Serpentis as capital for Vasudans, and likewise some Vasudan-inhabited world would likely not have been accepted by terrans...

Think Sydney-Melbourne-Canberra, but in a planetary scale. :p

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Just finished it, i really liked it :D , hope there will be a sequel
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well done. :) :yes: An excellent campaign, with some very clever missions and fantastic cutscenes.

I played it last week but didn't get around to responding until now, so unfortunately the campaign isn't fresh enough in my mind to post specific comments.  However, the nitpicks people are posting are still valid. :p The capital of the GTVA is Beta Aquilae, as mentioned in "Into the Maelstrom".  And, incidentally, the GTVA was formed in 2345, not 2358, as mentioned in species.tbl -- although the current form of the GTVA, as organized under BETAC, did come into existence in 2358.

Hi.

I decided to give this a go and discovered it was awesome. Ran into a couple of things though. Firstly, crashing on the first red alert mission. I managed to use the mission simulator and ctrl+shift+s to get to the other missions (though admittedly it did make the red alert missions a bit easier). Secondly, crashing during the weapon selection stage in bp-16.

Running 3.6.9 with mediavps installed (using a mod.ini file) with opengl at 1280x1024, 32-bit colour and trilinear filtering, and all the settings turned up (which killed my framerate in some battles, but the "ooh, pretty!" got to me :P).

Tried running with the debug version to see what's going on, game complains about an error in weapons.tbl on startup (line 148, the tech description for one of the weapons (spoiler if i mention what it is?) is missing a doublequote). Fixed that, now it says (multiple times):

Code: [Select]
Warning: Bogus string in weapon flags: fire down normals

File:J:\src\cvs\fs2_open_3_6_9.final\code\Weapon\Weapons.cpp
Line: 1605
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    parse_weapon()    parse_weaponstbl()    weapon_init()    game_init()    game_main()    WinMain()    WinMainCRTStartup()    kernel32.dll 77e814c7()
------------------------------------------------------------------

The flag seems to be on a lot of beam weapons and I didn't try to remove them in case it broke something. I hope this helps in tracking down any lingering bugs.

I found the ending a bit odd, but I'll assume the author planned it and all (or most, depending :P) will be explained in a sequel.

Offline Darius

"Fire down normals" was used in multiple weapons, particularly in the pulse weapons of the GTVA ships (the deck guns, since it looked strange to not have the shots line up with the barrels). Is it still a valid flag?

Try running this mission 16 and see if you can go to weapons loadout succesfully, I just changed the loadout options of the mission. It doesn't crash for me, but I think one of the bombs could be causing trouble for some people.

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Damn. That Delta Serpentis capital mistake seems serious enough to warrant a mission fix. I'll upload the new mission a bit later with adjustments.

For some reason I got somewhere that DS was the GTVA capital (but then if BETAC was made in BA it makes a bit more sense to have it as your capital...  :blah:)

BTW: Feel free to use any music from the campaign that you wish, and credit the artists as per the credits.txt file :)

There's also a minor spelling mistake that's prevalent throughout the campaign. It's Terran, you seem to keep spelling it as Terrene.

Offline Darius

There's also a minor spelling mistake that's prevalent throughout the campaign. It's Terran, you seem to keep spelling it as Terrene.

Terrene is correct :P