Author Topic: XEnonauts Let's Play  (Read 16392 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
We attacked a battleship and won with no casualties.

Will post a video of it tomorrow.

Next stop - OPERATION ENDGAME. 
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Suprisingly many aliens were killed during the crash. I assumed there would have been more alive inside the battleship.
Habeeb it...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Operation Endgame is a go.

We launched a final assault on the alien dreadnought in an attempt to assasinate the High Preator.
It was a one-way ticket... unless we destroy the two power cores, which will trigger the emergency protocol and enable escape pods. But those cores are defended and require a de-tour. And reapers from the lower decks are coming.

I recorded the mission, but the game crashed at the very end, after the result screen.
It seems to have messed up the recording, so I might have to re-do the mission. Trying to covnert the footage now and see if it will play.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
That was kind of a glorious finale. Wham bam thank you mam. Good job team. Now we can retire and roll in cash.

Too bad that you had to do it so many times because of the crashes. But it's appriciated that you did finish it even against all the obstacles.
Thank you.
Habeeb it...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I had fun throwing waves after wave of you meathshields at the enemy.

And what high-qualty meat shields you were! Only 13 dead.

I do say that my mod both helped and made things harder. The air was was easier, the new aircraft are a bit too cheap. And Gortef, yor high kill count is mostly due to the minigun. You were the only dedicated miniguner (you even had your own special icon)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Yea I noticed that the minigun was indeed a superb weapon. I gotta thank that baby.
Habeeb it...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I got tired of games that made that weapon wimpy... mabye it's a bit too powerfull, but I don't care.

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Naah... a minigun can never be too powerful
Habeeb it...

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:bump:
I've missed the last few dozen episodes.
I salute you for your efforts......did I make it through?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Lorric

Ah yes, I forgot about this.

Wow, Coolhand made it through to the end, got herself a chest full of medals and a promotion to Commander. Good for her. :)

Dekker, you also survived to the end. :nod:

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The last video sez it all. The team was raking up kills and medals like crazy.
An epic achievement, considering allow the aliens had their armor buffed a LOT (and HP normalized..which led to slightly less HP on average)

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
I still think that the minigun is the best thing ever happened to the game  :pimp:
Habeeb it...

I sorta lost track of your LP but I picked up this game from GOG a couple of days ago.  Can't say I'm a big fan.  I honestly don't understand the gameplay by and large. I had a soldier get suppressed, when I got my turn the guy had zero time units. I suppressed two aliens, when they got their turn they killed two of my guys. Game seems to have unclear or inconsistent application of the rules. There are other problems, but by far the biggest problem is the actual interface.

Game seems to be locked in to widescreen. When you play it on a 4:3 monitor it gives me black bars top and bottom. These black bars are deadzones so far as screen scrolling is concerned so just navigating around the battlefield is an awful pain in the ass.

I'm glad some people are enjoying it and hope this crew maybe does a sequel but for me it's hard to enjoy it.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Read the manual?
Suppression decreases TU for the next turn and stops reaction fire. Different weapons produce different amount of suppression and it stacks.
A suppressed target may not reaction fire BUT it may still have some TU's left. The more you shoot the less TU's next turn. Shoot enough and it won't be able to shoot next turn.
Some aliens are more resistant to suppression than others.

Also, some mind PSY attacks can leave your soldier without TU's for the next turn, maybe that happened but you missed the message.

Gameplay is pretty much standard X-Com.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Reading manuals or watching instructional vids ftw.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I skimmed the manual after the fact but it doesn't really answer the question as to why my guy had zero TU. Maybe he got psy'ed up, maybe not. There's zero about psy attacks in the manual except that it reduces morale and I don't recall anything about the guy panicking. Suppression says it reduces TUs to half for next turn yet I had zero.  I'm not really a fan of games giving the player all this information to begin with. I don't want to know how much damage I'm doing or what effects I've had on the enemy, it breaks immersion and turns it into a board game.  That sort of information would have ruined some of my most memorable moments from the previous xcom games. In this case giving information like suppressed gives an expectation, and then when the enemy behaves as normal (if not better than normal) it ticks me off.  I'd rather I simply didn't kill the guy, then he killed me back. Makes sense.  Rather than "suppressed" and having no apparent ill-effect on his accuracy or ability to fire.

Not only that but in the first month and a half of play I saw literally one UFO. Maybe you're supposed to immediately build a second base or something but it seemed that 90% of the UFO activity hit parts of the world where my base wasn't located which is a bit bizarre since I put it smack into the centre of North America.  Russia cut their funding by 50% because all the ships were hitting europe/asia not the americas. By the time I saw a second UFO it had taken so long that I had exhausted all of my research options and the UFO was of a design that my two starting fighters could not take down.

Few other little things are sort of annoying. Don't like the way research and base management has been simplified, some of the writing is bad, some of the animations take way too long to play (like transitioning from kneeling to standing and vice versa). And speaking of the manual I don't know why they couldn't have thrown a little bit of artwork in there like some screen grabs or anything, they have screen grabs in the quickstart guide but nothing in the manual. 

I may give it another go and restart but on the whole as a fan of the original games I feel like xenonauts was made by fans with dissimilar tastes.  On first impression it seems to be a game made by number crunchers not people like myself who want to be immersed in the atmosphere of the world.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 05:41:56 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
You can turn off tooltips (and floating damage numbers).

PSY attack messages should show up at the beginning of your turn. The "Panic" psy power immobilizes your soldier for a turn. It could be it, but you missed the pop-up.
Or it could be a bug.

SUPRESSED means it can't reaction-fire and thus your soldier (usually assaults) can close the distance without getting plasma in their faces. It also reduces TU and accuracy, so the effect should be there.

The number of UFO's partially depends on difficulty level, but it's very much random. Note that tons of UFO's might have spawned outside of your radar range. Seems to me you just got really unlucky there.

The starting fighters can take on most enemies with proper micromanagment. Auto-resolve is something you do when you have a clear advantage (high-tech craft and weapons). For bigger ones it might require two waves (attack, rearm, attack again) .

As for atmosphere, I find it has great atmosphere (that's 80's vibe). To each his own I guess.