Author Topic: Chapter 1 How was it  (Read 26340 times)

Sure, it's what the archives site is for after all... :p

Sid.

Originally posted by SadisticSid
Sure, it's what the archives site is for after all... :p

Sid.

Thanxs! :)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
The report are coming in and the fires on decks 3,5 and 10 seem to be contained and Engineering reports that the breaches will be repaired within 24 hours.

*cough**cough*Thank you lieutenant.

Excellent jobs guys although my only complaint is the general massiveness of the combat areas due to the gigantic vessels in each mission.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
huge ships = SWEEEET!!!! and i dont see any new campaigns in inf archives :(
I hate My signature!

Offline JC Denton

• Node For Me
Okay, I had difficulty set to "easy" while playing this (I typically go through a campaign on a lower difficulty, and then jack up the level a bit after I kinda know what to expect, that and it's been a while since I've played FS2), and I noticed that all the fighters in general and the Shivan ones in particular acted like their AI was set to maximum and difficulty was somewhere in excess of "Insane"...  The last mission, with those stealthed fighters, got to be a real pain in the ass.

Other than that, it was pretty good.  Very good, in fact.  One graphical thing I didn't like was the beamglows and the EA beams.  They just didn't have the right feel for beam weapons.  Too many spikes I guess.

And I agree with the thing about no voice acting.  Bit too much reading in the middle of a firefight for me. :p

So, how exactly are you going to handle voice-overs and stuff?
"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."  - Gene Roddenberry

"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
id say no voice actings its a pain in the ass
I hate My signature!

Offline Exarch

Just finished the campaign, and I must say I'm impressed.

Many of the models are even better than what was in original FS2, and despite a much greater diversity you've still managed to keep a distinct style to each of the sides in the conflict. Looking at an AE warship you have no doubt it's EA and not GTVA terran etc., even though both are also clearly terran in origin. The GTVA terrans with their no fuss yet somehow elegant style of ship design, the EA with their blocky ships which one might think could've been cast in cement, the Vasudans with their rounded almost organic looking ships, and, of course, the Shivans with their spiky, evil looking vessels. Can't wait to see the ancients once they show up in a later release. And seriously, some of those shivan ships looked downright scary - not to mention the Nemesis, that thing just looks like a world of hurt just waiting to open up on you.

The story is good, and the mission design was for the most part excellent. Had a few minor gripes, but really nothing that in any way affects the enjoyment of the missions. They were all pretty challening, even at the easy setting I played it with this first time through, and brought along the story well. While the capships were powerful and deadly, they were never allowed to steal the scene from the player - it's always you who is the deciding factor in the missions, as it should be. Some missions required some fairly detailed wingman control, which cause me to blow them the first couple time I tried, but that just makes them even better... more fun having to think about what you order them to do that just hit c, 3, 9 and forget about them. So two thumbs up for the mission designers.

The tech room really shows how much attention to detail there has been. I spent a few hours just browsing all the new ships, weapons and intel before I even started flying. And the command briefing ani's are also good quality, and add to the 'feel' of playing not some random user made campaign, but more like a professional product.

There were some things that weren't perfect, of course. Like in the final mission, if you don't already know what's coming you have maybe a 5% chance of survival - I'd give the player another 20secs to run away before the gigas jumps in so that if he dies, it's cause he's an idiot and doesn't do as he's told. Also ran into a few minor bugs, like in 'Intangible Factors', if you click on the Pothoris icon in briefing, the destroyer is a Vesuvius class fighter. But honestly, who cares? The campaign and it's mods rock, and that's that.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Finished now and I'm pretty impressed by the whole campaign.

BTW I've noticed another bug. On the mission above Earth if the fleet get killed you get told to return to base but if you do the debrief complains at you for returning without permission to do so.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
mission 14 was fun to playtest :P

from internal:

mission 14: holy ****! but the friendly ships were invincible

something to do with this sexp [DEBUG]MakeEverythingInvulnerab. i use alt+d to equalize the ets
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I took the alt+d debug out of the final mission, it's only there on the staff test versions :D

Your team has defiantely surpassed the original FS2 campaign! From the first moment the story gripped me and I was like (WTF?) cause it never let go!  The new ships are incredible, the weapons are cool, and the game flow excellent.

Thanks to you giving out all the "toys" even though the other 3 stories have yet to be written, I'm sure some Inferno lovers are gonna be making some missions for the masses...

I for one wanted to express my thanks for your efforts in helping to keep FS2 not only alive, but thriving!

BTW I haven't finished the campaign,in fact 2 or 3 missions I had to fail 5 times (but I Loved every failure almost as much as the victories!) :yes:

ROCK on Inferno Team! (I was VERY afraid)! :nod:
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
first thing i waited more from story more second story telling sucks in Inferno in that mission when shivans comming it`s those missions
shivans again oh dear...lord ok we can beat them easy i want something scary
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Inferno is pure awesomeness.  That sums it up.

its the sounds.  the sounds are what instantly drew me into the game, when i started that first mission and heard the Subach HL-12 laser sound, i was happy.  I loved the exlposions, both the anis and the sounds.  Also, i recognized a lot of sounds from other places, like one of the explosions was a "common" explosion sound for games, but sounded great in freespace.  I also noticed that the Ancient fighter flyby sound was familiar... it sounded like a federation ship flying by the camera after the borg cube is destroyed in First Contact, and the ancient bomber flyby was just  a slowed down version of the fighter flyby.  
Also the beamsounds.  I had always wondered if FS2 beams in fast motion would sound nice, i thought that they'd sound stupid ingame, but i didnt even notice that the EA's beams were speeded up BGreens and such until i listened to them when i wasn't playing the game.  also, the ancient's juggernaught Blue Beams coupled with the Fast Forward SGreen sound is great.  electric blue beam. :nod:
Rayquaza?¿

Offline J.F.K.

I agree with all the general sentiment that Inferno is awesome... but let me put it this way. If you had replaced the FS2 main campaign with Inferno I would have been completely fooled except for one thing. It's gotta be the voice acting. PLEASE, I'm desperate, you don't have to do it yourselves - outsource it or something - find people who can voice act this for you. It would completely blow people away - it'll really be a professional-quality mod then. :nod:
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
We need at least the next chapter done before we can do voices (since ch1 and 2 use some of the same characters and are the same storyline)

I don't want to start voice acting, then someone quits before ch2 is completed and their entire character has to be redone.

Also we need to find a female voice actor willing to do one of the major parts, which appears in ch1 and the soc campaign.

If you really want voices so bad, I won't stop an unofficial voice addon, though it will be totally replaced at a later date when we do the full voice package.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Also we need to find a female voice actor willing to do one of the major parts, which appears in ch1 and the soc campaign.

how big part i know one who would like do voice acting and that would be my Wife but she got bad English

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The part is the Commander of the Olemus which appears in m7, it's also your home ship in the SOC campaign, which won't be started for quite a while.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
ok i let you know if she can do that:)

Originally posted by Woomeister
Heh when we did the testing, those where the only kind of bugs we got, nothing major :)
oh well, I'll fix that for R2 :)

Thats a good thing. At least I know my computer won't suddenly explode into billions of peices for no apparent reason when i'm playing the game. :nod:

I loved the campaign, but i had to turn all of the detail WAY down or else the game would crash, so i didnt get to see all the purdy ships very good.
Don't make any effort.  Just do everything really half-assed.  Thats the american way!!!

"The lobsta claw's gonna get ya!"~Harry from 3rd Rock From the Sun