Author Topic: Sol: A History Issue  (Read 25132 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Definitely not a collision... I accidentally rammed the Danaus into the cargo, but nothing happened.

Decided to fire up R1 for nostalgia again. Here's a screenie of the problem:

BTW, when I was flying, there was an EA corvette directly above the Vela. When the Vela changed direction to evade the corvette (or at least, I think it did), the cargo pod started going bonkers. I don't think it happens with waypointed directional changes though - maybe sudden changes in direction only.

Ahwell... :blah:

edit: *aa51 :lol:'s at the Woodpecker's message...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:49:51 am by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
It could be connected both to Mass and the docking point. Fixing one thing won't resolve the problem because there's the other...

I could fix this problem if someone tells me how to do it.

Woomeister time ago talked about an axis problem fixable with any modelling program....
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

It could be connected both to Mass and the docking point. Fixing one thing won't resolve the problem because there's the other...

I could fix this problem if someone tells me how to do it.

Woomeister time ago talked about an axis problem fixable with any modelling program....

I would have fixed it myself if I would know how to, but since I don't know the reason of the problem I can't think of a fix.

The Mass can be edited either in PCS or ModelView32, in PCS is in the headers tab, in MODView32 you need to open the POF Editor. But it's not the problem, the Vela's Mass is 10,000 while the Vela Cargo's Mass is 1,000 it's OK.

The dockpoint  gets technically intersected, if you check both Vela's and it's cargo dockpoint origin is at the same location where the Hull ends meaning that there is not even 1 vertex of distance when both of these models are docked, I don't know if this is causing the problem, but some of the ships that I see leave a small distance for docking points which usually can't be seen, but can be measured.

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I already found the problem, look, follow the green line border:

The Hulls are getting intersected.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 06:59:18 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yeah...what you have intention to do now? I'm interested on fixing this bug.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

It's not easy to do, either I or someone else would have fixed this. Let me see:

The Dockpoints need to be reallocated, the Cargo's dockpoint Y Position is set at Y = - 0.5, while the Vela's Y Position is set at Y = - 4.5 (for Point 00), so what you need to do is center it vertically meaning Y = 0, however the Cargo Dockpoint is set at Y = - 0.5 but it seems to be docked upside-down, so I believe you should modify:

In the Docking Tab:

Number of Points 00 => Position => Y = - 0.5
Number of Points 01 => Position => Y =   0.0

Visibly there is no intersection, the problem is that the bug still happens, it's probabily that the Vela Cargo doesn't really fit or it's just too tight, in this the model would need to be resized to a more manageable size.

Beware that what I wrote could be totally misleading, I am not sure, I would keep updating and fixing both SAH and INF R1, but I am busy trying to make some models.

That doesn't make me want to have a revamped S:AH (even just with 16 million color planets would be fine) any less however; they're quite different.

Even in 256 colours, the Hi-Res Planet Backgrounds look like 16 million better, it's up to the method used to downsample the colours in your image, in the old backgrounds the downsample method was one of the worsts.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:30:32 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
One question, since I haven't touched R1 in forever.

Does the cargo move around in FRED when docked with the Vela? If it does, then I think I've got a similar problem involving an Argo... (not an Inferno-based problem though)...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uhm no..

I know what do you intend...
If your Punisher(the Argo with 2 Titans...we are using it in Steadfast too :D )has the Titans docked with it,in FRED they appear in the in-game position. When you start rotating the Argo, the Titans remain where they were. If you move the Argo,they return in their iriginal position.

What are you saying is most likely connected with FRED,not the shipmodel.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
No, this time I'm using a different model I got off Sectorgame, I wanted to try something more complex than two Titans. Unfortunately I think my problem is completely unfixable; even after editing the dockpoints, the whole Argo chassis is still colliding and dragging itself around in the mission. Not to mention that some of the beams get caught in between... it lets loose a BSilv, it ends up KILLING itself... :mad: :shaking: Bobbau's debug build also doesn't test for docked objects, plus I have no idea where his "check hull" flag is supposed to go to, so I'm... stuck.

That Argo needs to support two platforms, three Elysiums and one Hercules at the bottom dock (for some odd reason, I can't seem to attach an undock sexp to the Hercules when the Argo gets blown up). And it's still called the Punisher, for lack of a better name. :D

HAIL THE DEATH SQUAD!!! :lol: One captured Tereus with some Silver and Blue beams, one Alcyone, one Phobos and one Argo... Fight to the death, throw EVERYTHING (including useless flak) at SSD Lucifer's and STILL come out victorious... :lol:

Some screenies I shot. I originally wanted to post it in the Modding section in the hopes that I could get a fix, but I changed my mind. I'll have to go back to two ridiculously overpowered Titans, and boost the Argo's HP to corvette levels... :lol:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 05:38:03 pm by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Why you don't edit the models,adding more docking points or just replacing them?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
How many people are in DeathSquad?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
@ LGM

That's what I was thinking. Since I can't model, either I go back to Titans, or play around with dockpoints (don't think I'll get the intended results though, considering the dockpoints on the Argo).

@ Snail

Didn't plan that part out extensively, but there's at least three. Was a 15-minute idea of sorts, that'll eventually get stored in my brain until I find a use for it, either in hobbyist or far-fetched future commercial work. Need details for... perhaps, implementation into a campaign, like Steadfast or something? :drevil: :D I can probably do a write-up... :lol:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Snail

• SC 5
15 people to crew a destroyer, huh? :P

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
15 people, or 15 minutes? :confused:

Anyways, I found another clever way to use the Charons... HTL Elysium. I have yet to test it out though. But it's a shame I can't solve my problem; I really wanted an Argo with 8 BSilv's (edited for own mod), several smaller beams, several silver slash beams and a couple of Subach-ish/Flak weapons for anti-fighter work. :(

If it wasn't for the dragging and suicidal beams in the test mission, it can literally chew through a 200,000+ hitpoint, 26-turret Orion in less than 5 minutes, and still have the moxie to frag three wings of fifteen fighters (6,6,3 Major).

The Elysiums were on the Argo to simulate gun capacitors. Friendly-stealth-invisible, ship-invulnerable, play-dead, disable-built-in-messages, cannot be ordered around, et cetra. But in the end I still set the Elysium turrets to General and put Subach-ish guns on them, despite the visible clipping between them and the Argo... Bangwal
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Need details for... perhaps, implementation into a campaign, like Steadfast or something? :drevil: :D I can probably do a write-up... :lol:

Do you need something in particular?

Geez you are exagerating a bit... 8 BSilv? You need a giant reactor....possibly of the size of an Installation!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
BTW, can I have the 26 turret orion? PM me and I'll tell you me email adress. Been looking for that thing for one hell of a long time now...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
It's TrashMan's one. I got it off HC, clicky the smiley. I think it came with FOW as well. :)

No I don't need anything in particular. Just wondered why Snail brought up the question (how many people), thought maybe an idea of mine or two was going into somebody's campaign. :doubt:

Giant reactor? Hence those Elysiums... troop transports converted to become power capacitors. And the Argo isn't supposed to carry troops either - just one lone dude sitting at one heckuva command console, plus all the turrets are automated and firewalled to the death. Rest of the cargo space is where your reactors and whatnot go, while the Herc is for evac purposes in case the Argo goes bang (which has never happened). Herc also serves as a backup capacitor - in case the energy cycle screws up, the guy can reroute power. At least, that was what I had in mind... :nervous: As for Orions, now I wish someone made a HTL version of Hamano's Orion... perhaps around 5/6k polys too. Orion mayhem... woohoo :lol:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 02:46:31 pm by asyikarea51 »
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
But 8 BSilv...

An Herc for Evac operations? Put in another Elysium :D
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
But there's only one guy in the Argo. It makes more sense to use a fighter IMO. Plus I assumed that the Charons would have reactors of their own to support the eight BSilv in the first place. Those added capacitors just allow the Argo to fire longer and more powerful shots. Since the majority of Death Squad personnel don't give a crap if they melted their main guns anyway... they practically melt a couple a day and have them replaced like magic... as long as they get the job done (and blow the living crap out of the enemy target a hundred times over). :lol: :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So what IS deathsquad anyway?

And I wanted the lo-poly one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 04:07:47 pm by Snail »

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Don't know if I should mention it.

I don't remember there being a lowpoly one. :doubt:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares