Author Topic: Is FS2 dead?  (Read 18623 times)

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
I think right now the hi-res textures and all that are gonna stay out, I figure if we just get the voices packed in there it'll be enough.

The cap she gave me initially was 250MB. The file's closer to 220- and most of that's movie- some 160MB for the three, according to the copy I kept here. The voice VP file is 169MB. If we compress the movies by about 80% (about what I get from MPEG-4 compression, though sound might affect that- in which case we can still shrink 'em down a bit by reducing the resolution somewhat), and put in stripped-down versions of the sound effects... hell, I'm no mathematician, but it'll be within a close shave of 250MB.

If you want, we can then offer an addon pack of all the nonessential stuff- the hires texes, animated techroom, and some toys that work with the SCP modifications but naturally don't get face time in the original campaign- which UD will probably be happy to link to, and which can be hosted relatively painlessly from here. Most of that stuff is optional- you don't lose any of the atmosphere of FreeSpace by not having it, even though it's nice. Same can't necessarily be said of the movies and voices (do you really want to deprive everyone of the experience of falling out of their seat in In the Lion's Den?), so I want to get those in.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 11:14:12 pm by 262 »

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
AFAIK, the voice and music files in the *ahem* unorthodox FS2 version I first got (before I bought the legal one), were MP3'd, making a 30 kb voice file about 4 kb in size. Idea, no?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
A lot of stuff to compress (hundreds of sounds as opposed to eight movies), but if anyone can do batch compression that'd be very cool.

or if you still have your VP from that one.

Offline Stunaep

I think I have that compressor that came with the package around here somewhere. A little DOS utility. Want it?
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Er... sure. It do batching, or do I have to do 'em all individually?

Offline Stunaep

'course batching.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
:blah:

In the HOTU version there are movies as well. The end scenes. and they are still in .mve format. I think that could prove that they are legal.

(Forgive me if this point has been brought up before)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 03:01:59 am by 847 »
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
"forgives Tiara"
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Alright, so Peanuts and Stryke have the sound issue in hand.  Has anyone converted the MVEs to AVI?  I hear there is some interesting software about that some people have...
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by Venom
"forgives Tiara"

Weakling :p
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Ses: CAMstudio does fine, you just need to be able to cut the opening loading bit off. I was gonna do that, but if anyone else wants to handle it, it's freeware and pretty simple to use.

Tiara: Depends how generously you take the law. Some 85% of the copyrights on games HOTU has for free are still valid, so they're all technically illegal. However, generally either the company doesn't care or they're in no position to complain about anything, being defunct, or else they send off a letter to UD and she takes it down.

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
yeah.  if you wanted to have an "addon" pack, i'd be willing to host it for you, the lower the filesize the better.

i can do the movies if you want

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Tiara

Weakling :p

ah lala...
as they say:
"feed the dog, it will crap"
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Shrike
I thought there was legal problems not with the game itself, but with the cutscenes.  Something to do with the mve player I believe.  Putting them into a better format would make more sense anyhow, they take up a lot of disc space.

Does anyone know the exact legality of releasing FS?  Can we legally put up the entire three CDs for download, or can we only spread parts?  I can't condone illegally putting it up for download, because of my position.

Have you forgotten the clause in the Liscence Agreement about being (and I'm writing this from memory) "free to make copies of the SOFTWARE for friends and aquaintances on a no-profit, non-commercial basis"? I'm trying to verify this with DaveB ATM, but I don't think anyone can sue us for providing "internal" links (ones that can only be handed out to "friends and aquaintances" (read: forumites). And if Inteplay goes ballistic and wants to go after us, we show them the clause, say "this is why we did this", and take the files down if they insist. But if we keep the links non-publicized, I doubt they'd be discovered for by Interplay a very long time.

So yes, it's legal until proven otherwise/revoked.

Originally posted by Stealth
i'll educate you right now

the first thing you can start by doing is putting some "Keywords" in the main page of HLP, the forums main page, etc.

If you look at other big sites (i.e. Volitionwatch, Interplay, and even massive sites, such as Yahoo, MSN, Ebay, Gamespy, etc.) you'll notice (view the source) at the top of (most) of their pages they have the TITLE, BODY, HEAD, etc. and META tags, ... one META function is the "KEYWORD" tag, another, the "DESCRIPTION" tag.  Here's how they work.

Ex:

{META TYPE="KEYWORD" CONTENT="HLP, HARD, LIGHT, FREESPACE, FREESPACE 2, MODDING, INTERPLAY, VOLITION"}
{META TYPE="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="HLP is the biggest Freespace Modding Community in the world, sporting over 20 user-made campaigns and hundreds of FS Mods"}

Remember, they're to be placed between the HEAD tags at the beginning of the HTML document.

I'm not sure exactly how they work... never got into the theory of them, but i'm pretty sure (it's my best guess) that search engine spiders, when they visit a site, take note of the META keyword and description tags, and when someone types in something in a search engine, it will bring up whatever closely matches those keywords.

See, has it ever happened to you when you search for something, and it comes up with the site URL, and beneath that it has like 25 words of sentences that come from random parts of the page?  wouldn't it be nice to be able to designate your description instead of the search engine randomly finding it?  that's what the description tag is for.  keyword is what the engine looks for though.

Uhh... hate to break it to ya, but the META Keywords are not used anymore for search rankings - they haven't been for years nw, ever since they started to be abused. The description META tag, however, is sometimes what the search engine displays as a summary of a page in a list of search results.

And I'm not trying to brag, but I know quite a bit more about this stuff than you seem to think I do. Thanks for the helpful reply, anyway. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by Sandwich

Uhh... hate to break it to ya, but the META Keywords are not used anymore for search rankings - they haven't been for years nw, ever since they started to be abused. The description META tag, however, is sometimes what the search engine displays as a summary of a page in a list of search results.

And I'm not trying to brag, but I know quite a bit more about this stuff than you seem to think I do. Thanks for the helpful reply, anyway. ;)

really?  wow, never knew that.  i knew they were abused, but i thought they still used them to an extent

i know, the "tutorial" wasn't directed primarily at you ;) but with all people (diamondgeezer, etc.) making webpages suddenly, i thought that'd help them :D

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
since we're talking about shortening or getting rid of some of the movies, thought this might help.  now Shrike, don't get mad, cause this program looks legal in what it does and is intended to do.  also, most of what we're discussing at the moment is not quite legal.

http://www.19.5degs.com/fmv12.php?source=195

This might be the best way to extract the actual movies, although other programs, like what Stryke mentioned, should be used to cut them down
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 10:36:44 am by 594 »

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by Stealth
i know, the "tutorial" wasn't directed primarily at you ;) but with all people (diamondgeezer, etc.) making webpages suddenly, i thought that'd help them :D

By website do mean www.geezersoft.co.uk?

[EDIT] You --> By (why the hell I put 'you' in the first place I have no idea...)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 01:47:54 pm by 170 »

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

You website do mean www.geezersoft.co.uk?

Oh, the pain.... ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Stealth: Been there, done that. Somehow, even the proper FS movie extractor didn't cut it. Which is where video screen capture comes in.