Author Topic: random campaigngenerator  (Read 8666 times)

random campaigngenerator
i like some ppl to help with this projact
campaign generator its posseble
some saying not but i belive that ai is smarter as us

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Re: random campaigngenerator
I'm interested in doing that.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Already a new project? What about finishing the other things you're working on?

Online wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
A good idea to recruit help is to lay out a set of goals and larger plan, that way others can see what you are contributing and what specific aspects they might be able to add or help with. I have made my own campaign generator (development is still ongoing 2 years later), and from my experience I could give you a list of lessons I have learned, but I suspect you are looking for someone with more active involvement. From my experience, the amount of time a team leader puts in should be as much if not much more time then the other contributors in the team put in. In other words, leading by example can work wonders.   You also propose using some type of 'ai' in your project, so I would suggest stating what experience you have with AI and what skill sets you possess that would allow this project to reach completion. Are you proposing using a lua solution, custom external script packages, modular missions, etc? Overall, projects with specific goals and a road map are much more likely to attract others and reach a final end product.

Also, I agree with Nightmare. Having too many open projects greatly raises the probability that none of them will ever reach completion. One step at a time with small, doable goals is a good matra to follow  :)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
I still think that generating an entertaining random book is easier than this. And nobody generated such a book yet, or at least, not that I'm aware of.

There are a lot progress done in AI field involving neural networks and other stuff. But I think we are still far from AIs having a deep understanding of our language. And this is what is needed if you want to do a campaign generator : you need a way to tell the machine what is a good campaign.

The only way you could do that without doing decades of active research, would be to just take the procedural way : create instances of a more "generic" campaign, using procedural generation. But story-wise it would be in my opinion way more work than redacting an Act for Blue Planet, you would need a lot of fine tuning and a lot of possibilities so that the user keeps getting entertained (in terms of story) with each new campaign..

Obviously the first step to generate a random campaign would be to have a random mission generator. Then you could add constraints/bindings to your random mission generator, and make it so that your random campaign generator uses the random mission generator.

But then the stories would not be original. You wouldn't have unexpected outcomes like you have with the great campaigns out there. It would feel generic and it would be very hard to step out from that impression.

Also, there are already tons of exciting campaigns out there, so before you start worrying about a random campaigngenerator - what about playing them all? Many of them have cool ideas, new gameplay features and assets in them. :cool:

Online wookieejedi

I still think that generating an entertaining random book is easier than this. And nobody generated such a book yet, or at least, not that I'm aware of.

There are a lot progress done in AI field involving neural networks and other stuff. But I think we are still far from AIs having a deep understanding of our language. And this is what is needed if you want to do a campaign generator : you need a way to tell the machine what is a good campaign.

The only way you could do that without doing decades of active research, would be to just take the procedural way : create instances of a more "generic" campaign, using procedural generation. But story-wise it would be in my opinion way more work than redacting an Act for Blue Planet, you would need a lot of fine tuning and a lot of possibilities so that the user keeps getting entertained (in terms of story) with each new campaign..

Obviously the first step to generate a random campaign would be to have a random mission generator. Then you could add constraints/bindings to your random mission generator, and make it so that your random campaign generator uses the random mission generator.

But then the stories would not be original. You wouldn't have unexpected outcomes like you have with the great campaigns out there. It would feel generic and it would be very hard to step out from that impression.

I agree. An instant action type scenario with slightly altered variables each time would be the most probable, best case outcome in my opinion.

Also, there are already tons of exciting campaigns out there, so before you start worrying about a random campaigngenerator - what about playing them all? Many of them have cool ideas, new gameplay features and assets in them. :cool:

^This is a good idea.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
As an alternative, why not a MadLibs campaign generator?  "It has been XX years since Capella.  Go!"

Online wookieejedi

As an alternative, why not a MadLibs campaign generator?  "It has been XX years since Capella.  Go!"

My immature self would use "Admiral <boogers> just jumped into the <poop> star system to the attack the newly formed <farting> pirate cluster."

My immature self would use "Admiral <boogers> just jumped into the <poop> star system to the attack the newly formed <farting> pirate cluster."
Such an idea you can flush down the toilet :p

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
One area of my research (and my lab's in general) is dynamically picking story elements based on game states. I'd be curious to see how well trying to update a campaign structure based on end state of a mission would go.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

That's interesting. I think about having a mission generator where the next mission is based upon the outcome of the previous mission. Imagine a new story being created from, say, the destruction of the Colossus in High Noon. Usually you would have to repeat the mission, but this would allow the player to break free from such structures and explore alternate realities... but this is literally fantastic and unlikely to happen...

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
That's the gist of it. At the moment I'm trying to get an interrupt driven conversation system off the ground with the (very long term) goal of being able to use it in combination with that type of reactive planning I talked about. I have no idea if FSO's current version of campaign files are flexible enough to handle either of those two things but I have to get a prototype of something beforehand.

The other thing with FS (at least within my understanding of the current capabilities) is that all those possible missions would need to be hand authored and manually connected.
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Unless you generate the campaign file dynamically too. There's not that much to a campaign file so it would be fairly easy.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
It's like making use of AI, namely Machine Learning.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's really not.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Unless it is trained with data for the generator to learn. The data in question is the campaign and missions.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Online wookieejedi

Unless it is trained with data for the generator to learn. The data in question is the campaign and missions.

Machine learning is a bit more complex then that. Also, as mentioned, it is not the same as the dynamic/random campaign or mission generation.

Unless you generate the campaign file dynamically too. There's not that much to a campaign file so it would be fairly easy.

In my personal campaign-esque generator I used that method, but ultimately settled on using mission loops with lua scripted mission rewrites. The more recent SDL file structure came in handy for that.  :)   

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Machine learning is a bit more complex then that. Also, as mentioned, it is not the same as the dynamic/random campaign or mission generation.

In my personal campaign-esque generator I used that method, but ultimately settled on using mission loops with lua scripted mission rewrites. The more recent SDL file structure came in handy for that.  :)   

It's something to do with the differences between random generation and pseudo-random generation. The strengths of random generations over the latter is that it is more secure, I think.

I tried to create it, but it requires the FSO codebase.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I'm sorry for my previous posts, and I may be thinking of using a Python command-line tool to generate random campaign and missions.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template