Author Topic: The Blue Planet build repository  (Read 39881 times)

Offline Hellzed

Re: The Blue Planet build repository
I noticed 2 of my friends had black screen issues with antipodes 8 and outdated ATI/AMD drivers. Problem solved by updating to latest catalyst.

Offline qwadtep

I've been using the latest catalyst available for my card and still get black screen issues constantly. It's rather disappointing that after the wait for the mod I find out I probably need a new computer to play even the first two parts which worked fine before.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
FYI - I've got some (more) Linux builds available for Blueplanet.  Follow the link, select "Download Package", then select your OS.  Once you've installed the package you'll have to either copy or link the new binaries to your Freespace2 install folder.

Currently available is:

Fedora 17
OpenSuse 12.2
Debian 6 (stable, unfortunately OBS doesn't offer Debian testing as a build target)
ubuntu 12.04

All have 32 and 64 bit versions.

I have tested/run the ubuntu12.04 64 bit version, unfortunately given that BP won't run in a VM anymore I haven't tested the rest.  So any feedback & testing is much appreciated.

(ps - while generally good, the OBS (OpenSuse Build Service) refuses to build for ubuntu 12.10 because it can't find "libopenal-dev", despite it being a base OS package :rolleyes: I may have to run up a ubuntu PPA as well... still I shouldn't complain given that they're freely offering build farms and a CDN for the packages!)

edit: actually add the link this time!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 02:39:03 am by niffiwan »
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Yarn

Will there be a build that has the fix for Mantis 2503? With the current builds, anyone playing through AoA will eventually get that "Malloc Failed" error.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The linux builds above should have that fix in them, I can't speak for OSX/Windows.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
niffiwan, which antipodes revision are you using (r9485?) and what patches are you applying in addition to the official BP.patch?

Also, did the link to your build repo disappear? I can't find it. :confused:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'm using the current antipodes 8 revision, 9507.  The only patch applied to the source is BP.patch (with the MSVC project files changes removed).

As for the link - oops - I forgot to add it  :nervous:.   Thanks for picking that up - it's fixed now.
----
----

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Windows builds have been updated
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

!!! PLZ !!! We all still WAITING the WORKING fs2_open build antipodes !!! PLZ !!!

*Ahem*

I am very sorry, but from what I can tell, only a very specific subset of users is completely unable to play with these builds. That subset being comprised of people who have insufficiently powerful hardware, or stupid operating systems.

To be perfectly honest, neither group is high on my list of priorities, not when there are more critical bugs to be fixed, and workarounds available that help in some (not all) cases.

:)Thank`s for welcoming guys :)

So guys I don`t have custom to whimp on first problem that arise and believe me I have search, read forum posts, tried everything that I know to make it even start (load to in game option screen) with this -fs2_open_3_6_17(tried all versions of this build)- on several PC from low spec. to high spec. with diferent OS (Windows XP-x86-x64,Win7-x86-64) and I always get the same error "FreeSpace 2 Open-Antipodes has encountered a problem and needs to close.We are sorry for the inconvenience." :confused: Till this build everything was working flawlessly :(, but I`ve experimented a little and discovered that I can start and play new updated BP-AoA & BP-WiH with latest -fs2_Open_3_6_16_RC1r_INF- build of course not without debug errors, but after numerous of clicking on button OK it finally load the option screen :D also this debug errors occurs on option screen when I press the barracks button, in tech room when i click on missions button and on campaign button, the procedure is the same, after a numerous of clicking on OK it finaly enter specific screen.After I choose desired campaign and press the ready room button then starts loading screen and enter in game without any errors :D and guess what guys, the BP-AoA & WiH runs with full updates spec., lightnings, shadows, env. maps and all kind of shiny spec`s without any buggs or slowdowns in FPS :nod:, almost to forget, i use latest 0.9.1-WxLauncher to launch the fs2_open-builds and mods-it`s very usefull tool for experimentig with parameters and builds.
  This solution is only temporarily for me and all others that can`t wait the finaly working build :p

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Hmm.. you do need the BP build to play properly and without errors. Could you please post the debug log (run BP WiH with the "fs2_open_3_6_17_DEBUG_SSE2_BP" build, A file called "fs2_open.log" will be created in the <fs2 root>/data folder. Post that here)
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
EDIT: The OS X build that was here has been superseded by the BP Compatibility package. Please follow the instructions there.

Also delete any unofficial OS X BP builds and any data folders that you got from the unofficial BP build .dmg. They are no longer needed.

*Ahem*

I am very sorry, but from what I can tell, only a very specific subset of users is completely unable to play with these builds. That subset being comprised of people who have insufficiently powerful hardware, or stupid operating systems.

To be perfectly honest, neither group is high on my list of priorities, not when there are more critical bugs to be fixed, and workarounds available that help in some (not all) cases.

*Ahem*

I am also very sorry that the BP Team decided cross-platform testing wasn't worthwhile and instead charged ahead with a Windows-only release, leaving this user and many other users of a stupid but nonetheless officially supported operating system in the dust. (N.B. Posting a non-Windows build after the fact without having done cross-platform testing first does not qualify as a cross-platform release.)

In response, here's a stupid build (.dmg, OS X 10.6+) made with a stripped down version of BP.patch that omits the new eyecandy. Naturally, it's all provided "as is", no warranty, no tech support, use at your own risk, etc. That said, I've played through AoA with it, and swashmebuckle has played through Tenebra with it, so it looks promising. Copy the data folder that's inside the provided blueplanet folder to your blueplanet folder; the table in it overrides the official bp-shp.tbm. Similarly, copy the data folder that's inside the provided blueplanet2 folder to your blueplanet2 folder. If you don't follow the instructions in red, the game will freeze at the initial loading screen, and that's no fun.

The .dmg contains OS X builds, tweaked ship tables (just commented out the $Glowpoints overrides lines), and patches with build instructions. If you're using a smart operating system (meaning not OS X) and the official BP builds don't work for you, then sorry, this won't help you.

In the long run, there'll probably be Xcode 4 builds with OpenGL 3 support for people with 10.7 or higher and Xcode 3 builds with the fixed render pipeline (-no_glsl) for people with 10.6 or lower. Luckily, deferred rendering and shadows aren't in trunk yet and may not be for a while, so this is still a bit of a ways off.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:59:28 am by jg18 »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let me clarify the "stupid operating systems" remark. If your OS is actively crippling the hardware in the Computer for no good reason, and if the OS vendor is not interested in backwards compatibility patches, then I think it deserves to be called stupid.

Also, while I am not exactly happy about releasing without a full set of cross-platform tests, the simple fact of the matter is that there is exactly one person among the team and the beta testers who has a non-Windows machine (That being Androgeos and his Mac).

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Let me clarify the "stupid operating systems" remark. If your OS is actively crippling the hardware in the Computer for no good reason, and if the OS vendor is not interested in backwards compatibility patches, then I think it deserves to be called stupid.

No disagreement there.

Also, while I am not exactly happy about releasing without a full set of cross-platform tests, the simple fact of the matter is that there is exactly one person among the team and the beta testers who has a non-Windows machine (That being Androgeos and his Mac).

Fair enough, although how hard would it have been to make alternate builds that didn't have the graphical enhancements and thus use the rendering pipelines that are known to work? My revised BP.patch is a "best guess" version, although it seems to work.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
jg18 - could you make your modified BP.patch & bp-shp.tbm files available for separate download?  (or have I just missed them somewhere?)
----
----

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
I updated my post above with a separate download link.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've updated the first post to link to the MacOS/Linux builds and the compatibility patches.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Thanks, E.

A couple things:

(1) Could you change 10.6 to 10.6+ ? The build should work on newer OS X versions, but it hasn't been tested. I think E9's builds are 10.7+, though.

(2) I'm not sure that just using the adjusted ship tables will allow people to use regular builds, since BP.patch (at least the part I used) includes SEXP changes and increased limits in the number of ship classes.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ah, damn. I should get those into trunk soon.

Offline Echelon9

... I think E9's builds are 10.7+, though.
Yes

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Builds have been updated. See first post for details.