Author Topic: RELEASE: Ridiculous  (Read 27602 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Bump

Turns out there was a flaw in my design that made all the missions impossible to fail. Whoops.   :ick:

Release post has been updated with the fixed campaign. Presently only on Mediafire.

Come on, that's ridiculous!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Bump

Turns out there was a flaw in my design that made all the missions impossible to fail. Whoops.   :ick:

Release post has been updated with the fixed campaign. Presently only on Mediafire.

Come on, that's ridiculous!
Yes, but not intended. There are a couple obvious "plot-break" points in the campaign: any time the Arbitrary or Galactallica is on the field, they probably need to survive for the rest of the story for things to make sense.
Spoiler:
Well, except for Galactallica in mission 8...
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
silly campaign. Since I prefer deep thought provoking tales, this is not for me.
On the other hand, it's still funny and it is consequent in its approach.  :yes:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Niue

Awesome campaign...

Spoiler:
The only major issue I had was if the any of the mission-critical ships like the GTD Arbitrary somehow got disabled by beam fire the mission would suddenly come to a grinding halt (such as the engagement with the Lucifer).

Other than that the campaign was awesome.  On the last mission when trying to take out the IronBeer (lolz) the sheer size of that ship just astounded me.  It took a good 5-10 minutes just to fly from one side to the other, and about as long just to position myself for bombing runs to get a good LOS shot at it.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Only got around to finishing this today. Quite a solid campaign.
Spoiler:
The rapid-fire beams with the accompanying dialogue ("3, 2, 1, beam-free-all!") and music had me hysterical with laughter. Galactallica was hilarious as well.

The voice acting, whilst occasionally seeming a little emotionless, was by and large quite successful. The wingmen were done well, I found myself actually quite liking the people I was flying with. And some of the persona lines were funny too, especially "Agh! He's not even good... help please.". The tone in which that was delivered made me laugh a bit every time I heard that line. So congratulate your voice actors on a job well done.

And with regards to the last cutscene,
Spoiler:
Do I smell a sequel?

[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

hey,whats the name f the song

used in the mission fire and flames??

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm gonna guess 'Through the Fire and the Flames' by DragonForce. Blindly.

thanks for your help

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Glad to see people are still downloading this thing!
Ok, @CommanderDJ
Spoiler:
Aiight people, you heard it here first, I AM intending to do a sequel should I come up with enough ideas to make a decent campaign. However, Ridiculous 2 will be the end of this storyline, full stop. And there are other projects I'd like to try before that, as well.

@Niue
Spoiler:
Damn, good catch. I really need to actually get my stuff beta-tested in the future...  :doubt: Anyways, expect to see a lot of stupid small things like that fixed in an upcoming Director's Cut.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

First off http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ridiculous
Second off I'm uploading the new version of Ridiculous to FreeSpaceMods. Do you think you should tell Swantz/Achtung to delete the old one?

Offline Nahar

Hello. This is my first post here.

I am a huge fan of FreeSpace series since I was a child (I saw it first time when I was 8, when my brother bought FreeSpace 1, and since then we've been playing), but I never came to a fan community which were releasing new campaigns and so.

... so I have no idea about how to install your campaign :$ . In the first post you say that is the habitual method to install and run, but what is that method?

Thanks for your help.

PD: I'm from Spain, so I'm sorry about my possible mispellings, grammar errors, or whatever I may being writing in wrong way :P

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Hey, Nahar! Don't worry, the HLP community is here to help.

First off,

:welcome:

Now, I'm assuming you have the latest release build and MediaVPs installed. If not, read this thread and follow the steps there.

Now, once you have all that set up, download the Ridiculous campaign files in the first post of this thread. Extract them (using a program like 7zip or WinRAR) into your main FreeSpace2 folder (they should extract themselves into a folder called "Ridiculous"). Next, open up your FS2 launcher, go to the MOD tab, and select the Ridiculous folder. Click "Apply", then "Run". Create a new pilot, go to the campaign room, select Ridiculous, and enjoy!

If you run into problems, post in this forum and someone will no doubt help you out. Enjoy your stay!

Oh, it looks like the Shivans want to welcome you too:

:welcomered:
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Nahar

Woah, thanks for the welcome.

Well, I'm installing ridiculous. Yesterday I installed all the mediavps (thanks to the community in #irc :P) and the latest inferno build. I'll tell you what happened, or if I can play.

Thanks!

Offline Nahar

Well, I've been testing the campaign, and it's cool. The only thing that I dislike it's the voice acting: it seems in some parts a little unexpressive. But well, I'll keep playing.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
http://freespacemods.net/download.php?view.664
The new link for 1.02. Thanks ktistai

I took the liberty of adding it to your post. :nervous:.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'm downloading Ridiculous right now. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Luis Dias

This campaign is completely ridiculous. I like the sheer metal tone of it. And that tune... oh my does that bring me some ancient frag memories ;)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I played it... I have to admit that it's a worth addition to our series of parody campaigns. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Cyker

That. Was. Awesome. !. :yes:

I almost pissed myself laughing several times during that campaign, but man did I make a mistake during the last boss mission; The Ares is NOT a good ship to use if you want to do things quickly! :lol:

The gods of metal approve! \m/ :lol:

For Ridiculous 2 you should use a Gargant
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor