Author Topic: Is there any demand for this...  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Dracos

Is there any demand for this...
Is anybody interested in a DirectX9 renderer?  I've already taken the liberty of pulling the cvs and porting the DX8 renderer on my system.  There isn't any noticable framerate improvements, but I thought it might be fun to do. (And it was, heh.)

Anyway, if anybody's interested, let me know.   Also, I'd like to know how to go about becoming part of the SCP team.  I'm not the greatest coder in the world, but I've been doing it as a hobbyist for about 5 years and Volition's games have been my favorites for years.

(*Braces for beaming*) Oh... and this is only my second post here, so be gentle. heh.

I don't know where the beam is placed so I'll let the next guy do that.  Since you seem to know D3D, HELP WITH HT&L!!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2003, 01:45:56 am by 998 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
:D
-C

Offline Dracos

Heh.. Sure, I'll help wherever I'm needed.  Just let me know where to sign...  And thanks for the "warm" welcome.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
well if you've done it, I don't see why we shouldn't use it, the HLSL should be a good enough reason for use to swich.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
bob, do you know were i can find documentation on what DX8 and DX9 do exactly?

(oh, and i never got the beam, so im just gonna welcome myself ok ;D)
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Dracos

Well bugger.   The way I converted the code the last time was to edit the existing DirectX8 code and replace variables / functions with their DirectX9 equivalants.  After deciding to re-add support for DirectX 8, I ended up breaking stuff, so I'm gonna pull a fresh source tree and start again.  It's gonna take me a day or so to work out, but I'll keep everybody posted.

Offline diamondgeezer

Er... non-coder posting here, but wouldn't DX9 mean risking breaking stuff for (apparently) little gain?

Offline Dracos

Possibly, but I'm not removing the current DirectX8 support, just adding DirectX 9 support in addition.  That way, features that are already working should remain untouched.

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
and what exacltaly will DX9 support do?
there havnt been any additions to the SCP that need DX9 yet....
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
but there might be. it's done, so why *****ing?
SCREW CANON!

Offline diamondgeezer

We're really, really worried about breakage. Despite the safety precautions.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
there will be no breakage of any sort if you don't selt DX9 in the menu, will it?
geez... ( no pun intented )

ah well, why do I post about that, I don't even care :doubt:
SCREW CANON!

Offline diamondgeezer

Evidently I didn't emphasize enough just how concerned about breakage we are...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
DX5 to DX8 was a major improvement, but came at great cost and with a great deal of mess.  We're still picking up the loose ends.

DX8 to DX9 would be only a marginal improvement.  At this time, the potential cost outweighs the potential benefits.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I realy would actualy like the HLSL of DX9 if posable, most of the changes are mearly changing a whole bunch of 8s to 9s,
if you'r going to keep DX8 suport, try and do it in a way that we won't need to maintain two nearly identical API abstraction layers
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Sticks

We could also use the harware auto mipmap generation of DX9, hardware line drawing also, and yeah, HLSL would own.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline J3Vr6

What's HLSL?
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Getting DX9 now would mean we could add all the fancy stuff (further down the road) that new games have later, without waiting for the new DX9 engine to be coded.

"Gimme" I say, "Gimme" :D :yes:

so we would out own games not even in store yet?
am i reading this right?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm