Author Topic: Works Great Under Vista 32!  (Read 5979 times)

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Works Great Under Vista 32!
I heard quad cores suck.

quad cores suffer from the same thing as multi-cpu machines from a bygone era. theyre most useful for number crunching. usually cases where the cpu spends more time doing math than talking to devices. such as when the computer is left alone to render something or to handle server tasks. they offer practically no advantage when controlling multiple devices on the system. sence games use multiple devices, sound, video, input, all being used pretty much at the same time, multiple cores just sit around waiting to be passed something to do.

theres a certain order the operations need to be done in, deviation will result in error. so the processor does as much as it can do. if your code wants to see if a*b > a+b, a*b would be done on one core, and a+b on another, but you cant do the > until you know the results, so only 2 cores get used and you got to wait for the next cycle to do >. its alot more complicated than that. cpus can do more than a*b on a core at a time. cpu cores usually have multiple units for floating point, integer, logic and memory ops. in multicore setups you have a lot of units to fill in every cycle.

nowadays we have multiple threads, but programs need to be written bottom up with that in mind. you can allocate a core to physics, another to ghet graphics data ready fot the video card, another to handel sound and networking, and another to control the show. essentially your game would be 4 programms which communicate with eachother to get the job done. but as it stands, not many proggrammers are good at this. i think the lull in games coming out is due to all the programmers having to relearn their jobs for the newer multicore technology thats in everything theese days.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 12:04:12 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline bruce89

[crappy British accent]Why ever not, master Cobra?[/crappy British accent]

EDIT: No one welcomed TechieZero yet...
:welcomepurple:
[ more crappy British accent]TechieZero, Enjoy your stay![/more crappy British accent]

It's funny, I don't remember Scottish people having an English accent, unless you're in Aberdeen. I should know, I live in Scotland.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I live in New Scotland, Canada a.k.a Nova Scotia.  ;7
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline bruce89

I live in New Scotland, Canada a.k.a Nova Scotia.  ;7

Sorry for snapping at you lot, I'm a bit nationalist.

Ha, new SATA drive... same dumb problems.... Vista Drivers SUCK bigtime.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
When I took in my laptop for servicing, the hard drive was replaced. And then Acer put Windows Vista Basic on it :mad:. With 512Mb of memory on board, it just doesn't seem to run Freespace 2 Open as well as it did. I'm thinking of asking Acer to let us have XP instead. (Either that or double the memory :P.)

Surprisingly, the most lag I got was not in a mission, but in a briefing! I don't know what that's about!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
256 MB should be minimum for '98, 512 MB should be minimum for XP, 1024 MB should be minimum for Vista.  Stupid computer retailers always give you half of what you need... so you can "upgrade" later.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
When I took in my laptop for servicing, the hard drive was replaced. And then Acer put Windows Vista Basic on it :mad:. With 512Mb of memory on board, it just doesn't seem to run Freespace 2 Open as well as it did. I'm thinking of asking Acer to let us have XP instead. (Either that or double the memory :P.)

Surprisingly, the most lag I got was not in a mission, but in a briefing! I don't know what that's about!
Check your video drivers. Windows Vista video drivers started out really bad from nVidia and nearly a bad from ATI.  If you've got an ATI or nVidia mobile card...remove the old drivers, clean things up, and then install the latest from the respective company.  You might see a significant improvement.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."