Author Topic: How to report bugs - A Modder's Perspective  (Read 1208 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
How to report bugs - A Modder's Perspective
So, lately I've been mulling over SCP's mantis looking at the issues. I'm a modder and I generally need FSO to do what it's supposed to. I need it to work. Getting that to be the case is proper bug reporting. You all know this. You've all read this.

Read it again.

We've gotten lazy. Most of the bug reports are akin to "X feature doesn't work, plz fix". Iffy Steps-to-Reproduce. No test missions, no test tables, and no debug logs. Feedback is going unanswered. This has pretty clearly resulted in a long list of bugs where many may not even be an issue anymore because they are so old. But they are there, and SCP still needs to sort through them. As modders, we can't exactly code and fix the bugs themselves.. but we can make it much easier to do so.

Please, please, please re-read Karajorma's post again. And please start including everything necessary. I -know- it takes away from your precious modding time, but having to be all Sherlock on these tickets takes away from coder's precious feature coding time.

Please answer feedback as quickly as possible. Please test the code-review patches. We need to do our part so SCP can do their jobs easier and we all benefit. I've been a little miffed because of this general laziness. I've been going through and picking out tickets, taking time away from my own projects, in order to help bugs get fixed faster and more efficiently. It would be immensely helpful if we all did our part from the beginning of each ticket instead of having to wade through pages of several year old bug reports wondering if they are even still current.

I'll finish my little rant by saying that SCP is under Community Projects for a reason. If we modders want to make feature requests, we should do our part to make sure bug reports are as accurate and complete as possible.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 08:31:54 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: How to report bugs - A Modder's Perspective
As the person who wrote the original post, I obviously agree with this sentiment. :D That post is pretty much still exactly how I bug fix. And I suspect it's probably how most of the other SCP coders do it too.

It's worth pointing out that modders who do help with good reports tend to get bug-fixing priority. I fix often fix Mjn's bugs first because I know he'll get back to me quickly if I need feedback.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:15:53 pm by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: How to report bugs - A Modder's Perspective
Pilot, Attend!

For continued excellence in the Community and participation above and beyond, it is with great pleasure that We bestow upon you the oft-coveted Gold Star of Excellence.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys