Author Topic: HT&L size limits?  (Read 7672 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I was informed by Woomeister that HT&L won't work with ships over 30km long. Is there anyway you could bump up the size and texture limits? One of the ships in the Starforce mod will be around 50km long.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The pb is not the size of the ship, it's the fact they put some render limit, so what is more than 30 kms away from you won't be rendered. Is that annoying? Yes, very, ther wasn't such a limit before.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Don't you still hit a wall at 60?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Could you please remove the rendering distance limit?

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Originally posted by Stryke 9
Don't you still hit a wall at 60?

no, some zero's later, askk phreak, IIRC.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Could you please remove the rendering distance limit?

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Removing%20the%20Distance%20Culling%20in%20HT%26L
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
no matter how far you increase the limit, users will expand their needs to fill the space.

Having a horizon/far-clip is a good thing, as it limits the z-depth of the view to a finite, discernable distance. That translates into more efficient rendering and faster frame rates.

I'm sure I could imagine a use for a 50km capship, but somehow I suspect I could imagine a better, smaller, less extreme design.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
You could just tex the thing so that it just looks like it gradually descends into shadow, and then stick a perpindicular silhouette at the end, I suppose... should be enough if you keep the player busy enough to not go wandering off exploring. Wouldn't need much silhouette, either, if you position the player somewhere near the center of the ship.

Anyway. Yeah, clip rates are vaguely annoying, but also seem kinda useful. Is there any way to, say, put a slider for it in the graphics options panel?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The extreme design is necessary for my purposes. It is the flagship of an empire that spans half a galaxy and the most powerful warship ever built by mankind. It is not only supposed to be an effective warship, it is also supposed to be awe-inspiring. Against most opponents, it would rarely ever engage the enemy because it is so terrifying to behold. And when it does attack, woe be anything that it fires upon.

How about setting the render distance to 80km?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 12:48:32 pm by 1099 »

--General Battuta

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
IIRC it will eventually float to around 100km, and is already there under one of the render modes, but that's still not my issue with it.  Far clipping planes are extremely useful, but the limit should have been set PAST THE DISTANCE AT WHICH THINGS WERE RENDERED IN VANILLA FS2.  As it stands, Knossos 3 is gone at 150km from the player start location.  I'm not sure if it's a hardware concern, or an algorithm concern, or what but capping the depth somewhere and capping the depth freighteningly close to the playable range don't seem to have anything to do with each other.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you're going to get stuff rendering thorough each other if you set it to 150km.  that is unless you have a card that will do a 24 bit z-buffer
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Which cards can do a 24-bit Z-buffer? Can a GeForce2 MX do it?

--General Battuta

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
im pretty sure.

if it can run 24 bit color, it can do a 24 bit z-buffer
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by mikhael
no matter how far you increase the limit, users will expand their needs to fill the space.

Having a horizon/far-clip is a good thing, as it limits the z-depth of the view to a finite, discernable distance. That translates into more efficient rendering and faster frame rates.

I'm sure I could imagine a use for a 50km capship, but somehow I suspect I could imagine a better, smaller, less extreme design.

Yes, but say goodby to scenary meshes in the distance, planets for exemple.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by PhReAk
im pretty sure.

if it can run 24 bit color, it can do a 24 bit z-buffer

There are cards still used in significant numbers today that don't support 24-bit color? Cards with 24-bit color support have been around for at least 10 years. If a card-supports 32-bit color, it should by extension support 24-bit since 32-bit is 24 with an alpha channel, right?

How do you change the render distance anyway?

--General Battuta

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
its in the code, not to mention required to get HT&L to even function
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

well, i know that a lot of people here, nyself for one, use TNT's and the like, so you might want to consider us doomed ones.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Could you make a version of the Dec. 5 build with a really high draw distance or show me how to edit the code to increase the draw distance? How far can I go with a 24-bit Z-buffer?

--General Battuta

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
so may big ships *wait's that someone do 100KM warship*
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/love_your_z_buffer.html

basically tells you how it works.  there is a java thingy there too to compute resoultion and such
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord