Author Topic: HT&L size limits?  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
That doesn't show me how to change the maximum draw distance.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
If you have to ask how. You wouldn't know how to do it even after the explaination :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
do a search for "gr_set_proj_matrix", set it to whatever and recompile
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Krom

Geforces do NOT support 24bit Z buffers, only radeons do, Geforces DO support 32bit Z buffers, and Radeons do as well I believe.  So your best bet is to simply enable a 32bit Z buffer and be done with it.  The performance loss is minimal on modern cards.

-Krom

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Why 32-bit but not 24-bit? That's like a car that has heated seats and a navigation system but no power windows.

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Originally posted by Holy Imperial Gloriano
so may big ships *wait's that someone do 100KM warship*

I am doing a planetoid-sized battle station.:D

It seems that I wil not be able to use HT&L for models in my campaign, as it will take a boatloads of cool stuff out of it [attack on the huge station mentioned above, in-game planetary bombardment, fighting over the planetary surface etc].

Could you bump the limit to 300km-500km? This should last for really, really long, and should be enough for all of the super-ships, and, with some playing with distance and model sizes, planetary models in the background.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Hollewanderer

I am doing a planetoid-sized battle station.:D

It seems that I wil not be able to use HT&L for models in my campaign, as it will take a boatloads of cool stuff out of it [attack on the huge station mentioned above, in-game planetary bombardment, fighting over the planetary surface etc].

That's where creative uses of background POF's comes into play.  If the limit was simply greater then the explorable area, all you'd need to do is place a background POF with a planet dominating one side in, and map the rest out to look like a regular FS mission.

And Woolie, 24 bit is somewhat of an irregular number as far as a computer is concerned.  They much prefer to have things in powers of two.  Though I would think that there should be some accomodation to make 24-bit work with a 32 bit device, it doesn't suprise me (especially with GeForce) that there isn't.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 05:38:09 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Then could someone add 32-bit z-buffer support in later builds?

--General Battuta

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
24 bit was extremely common in color depth and thus got translated over to zbuffers - video cards guys dont have issues with using odd byte lengths - or even odd sized bit fields like 5:6:5 R:G:B for the most common 16-bit mode (the decision for green to be the more precise one is not arbitrary however, the human eye is most sensative to the green range)

old card support is going to have to be sacrificed sooner or later, anyone with a card that cannot do 24 or 32 bit Z and 24 or 32 bit Color needs to get out of gaming these days
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally posted by mikhael
no matter how far you increase the limit, users will expand their needs to fill the space.

Having a horizon/far-clip is a good thing, as it limits the z-depth of the view to a finite, discernable distance. That translates into more efficient rendering and faster frame rates.

I'm sure I could imagine a use for a 50km capship, but somehow I suspect I could imagine a better, smaller, less extreme design.

Personally I don't like spaceships that size, but "megaliths" (i.e. the large installations and backdrops promised to be in Homeworld 2) would be a good thing.

Not much to gameplay, but it adds to the atmosphere having the debris of a 60km spaceship and you're fighting over the surface of it.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Exactly what I'm thinking.

Nevermind that I would like to see knossos 3 again.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
...and the universe ends at 600km (600,000m on the HUD) not 60km
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Is there any way to download the Dec. 5 build's code in one zip or something? I'm completely clueless about coding this stuff and I don't know which of the 10 billion files on CVS has the variable governing max draw distance? Can anyone give me a step-by-step explanation on what to do here?

--General Battuta

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards

:lol:

Sorry, but... *snicker*

:lol:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
What, is it beyond mere mortals' comprehension or something?:wtf:

What I need to know basically is:

Where to get all the files together (I assume you run that "INSTALL" exe, but you never know...)
Which one is the file with the variable
How to compile

EDIT: the whole source code is on freespace.cpp. I changed the clipping plane distance from 30000 to 400000. Now I've got to find some compiler program.

EDIT2: This file is too small to be a whole source code. Jesus Christ, the source code files are all over the place. Will I have to go through every directory and download everything?!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:35:09 pm by 1099 »

--General Battuta

Offline redmenace

:hopping:
dude, download CVS, then follow the instuctions from freespace.volitionwatch.com/fsscp/
not that hard
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Download CVS as in the whole archive at once? You can do that? Or are you talking about a CVS-related program?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:58:04 pm by 1099 »

--General Battuta

Offline redmenace

I am talking about wincvs. the link was here in the forums at one time. But it is gone now.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline redmenace

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cvsgui/WinCvs120.zip?download
here is the link. now all you need is the Direct X 8.1 SDK and the optional Speech SDK. You also need a Visual C++
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Found it with a Google search, but I don't have Visual C++ or the DirectX SDK. Do those cost money? I don't think Microsoft would give big SDKs away for free.

--General Battuta