Author Topic: UI suggestions/rant  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
This is the 1024 stuff - dunno if I ever even did any 640 stuff, though I probably could.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Originally posted by StratComm
What has been suggested, reiterated, and supported by the SCP staff is a "copy to wing" type button, so you could customize one ship like you want it and apply that configuration to the entire wing.  It just has to be implimented.

Keep in mind however, not to get off topic, but there is a risk that such a button could allow someone to produce more weapons or what not than the mission would provide if the fighters were just outfitted individually...you know what i mean? There'd have to be a warning that pops up to inform the player that not all of the wing has been outfitted that way due to a lack of available weapons/ships/whatever.

So there'd have to be another modification there, too, but overall I like that concept a LOT.

-----

Regarding the HUD I personally believe it should be RENDERED by the engine polygon by polygon with the text overlaid over templates of images used for backing of the polygonal sections.

Not a 2D background set with text and readouts over it...i mean 3D with actual textures changing on rendered planes. I've seen other games doing this --- Freelancer actually uses two polygons for each actual rendered text character! Sure, it ups the polycount, but it saves the trouble of all this 2D wrangling.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 10:52:05 pm by 1644 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Black Wolf
This is the 1024 stuff - dunno if I ever even did any 640 stuff, though I probably could.
That's why I didn't code it when you first posted the interface art.  We need the 640 art too.  Would you mind whipping that up?

I was actually suggesting wing drop points for 'ship type' rather than weapons, since with the weapon limits doing it for weapons would be dodgy.  Having saved loadouts would be a big step, however.

If the eyepoint for previews is flexible, why can't there be resolution-based entries so it fills the window properly at different resolutions?  And what is that empty space in the 'ship fluff' pane for?  Is it filled in 640, or is it universally wasted space?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yurr. I realize the two res's look diferent - I was hoping to get some feedback on which looked better, then re'do the other one in the chosen style.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks. :) I'll try to have this done by Monday.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Yurr. I realize the two res's look diferent - I was hoping to get some feedback on which looked better, then re'do the other one in the chosen style.
Bah.  Could you add this to the Multi screen also?  It's not much different... should be just a copy-paste job.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And a triple-post...

It turns out that the files you gave me are unusable.  They must be edited and saved in 8-bit PCX format, not converted to 16-bit at any point during the process.  Otherwise the display and the button masks get completely screwed up. :sigh:

Sorry.  Would you mind redoing them?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Without ever converting them out of 8 bit? I dunno... that'll either make the transitions between the BGs look a lot shabbier, or leave me with a lot of pixel by pixel copying and pasting. Before I go through that, isn't there some way to grab the masks out of the original files?

If not, then I guess I'll have some pixel by pixel editing to do.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, if you can convert the new files to use the same palette as the originals, that would work too.

Actually, strike my original post.  Converting them to 8-bit directly might work after all.  The crucial part is getting all the shades of white in the UI mask to match with the original shades of white (and the black to match the black), but the regular background probably has no palette restrictions.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Oh! Of course! The Ms. I always assume the M stands for Monochrome instead of mask, and thus forget that they're not monochromatic at all. That's easy fixed.

There - that should sort it out. I'll do the Multis tomorrow - very late here.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Super. Thanks. :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Meh. I lied.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Offline Lynx

It'd be useful to have a the UI things and hotspot positions in a table, like mainhalls.tbl, but for the interface.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by Lynx
It'd be useful to have a the UI things and hotspot positions in a table, like mainhalls.tbl, but for the interface.

*Shhhhhh!*

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
For the GUI stuff I've been working on I was thinking of updating it so that all GUIObjects have a name, and you can define the positions for named objects in the table. Shouldn't require too much work, and it'll set stuff up for for individual object skinning properties being defined in the table.
-C

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And STILL you managed to introduce errors in the mask, Black Wolf... sigh...they've been fixed. :p

Okay, the button code is in and working.  Attached are the proper graphics; they should be added to the next core media VP.

All that's left to do is the actual "copy the selected loadout to the other ships in the wing" and it'll be done.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Goober5000
And STILL you managed to introduce errors in the mask, Black Wolf... sigh...they've been fixed. :p

I did? I shouldn't have... For the multi stuff especially, as I never even changed those out of the default 256 colours they came out of the VP with... odd...
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Hint taken. :p

I'll take care of adding this tomorrow...or maybe during the weekend, this Thursday and Friday are looking like they may be pretty busy.
-C