Author Topic: Freespace/Freespace 2... on your Tablet PC  (Read 8950 times)

Offline sfried

Freespace/Freespace 2... on your Tablet PC
Doen't work. Moving the .vp files to another area just causes a) FS2 to not give me the parse error, but instead letting Windows terminate it for some other error b) forces FSO to run at 640x480.

Edit: Am I supposed to move all the .vp files? I'm not sure which ones should or shouldn't be moved.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 03:24:59 pm by 2635 »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Just the mediaVPs, those are the .VP files prefixed with "mv_". The rest of the VPs can stay in the main directory.
-C

Offline sfried

Coolmon, your name is truely not overstated. I am now able to run both FS2 and FSOpen without any problems (except for the dialog box and FMV thing). Other than that, all's well. :)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ah. Forgot to mention it but 3.6.5 won't play the cutscenes.

Use this build of taylor's. It's basically 3.6.5 with a few bug fixes (including cutscenes)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline sfried

Originally posted by karajorma
Ah. Forgot to mention it but 3.6.5 won't play the cutscenes.

Use this build of taylor's. It's basically 3.6.5 with a few bug fixes (including cutscenes)

Just downloaded it. Is it suppose to replace the fs2_open_3.6.5 executable?

Edit: Crap. Buggy as hell. Can't even display a Herc on the techroom. (Crashes before I could.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 04:59:28 pm by 2635 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:wtf: I've been using that build for months. It's actually more stable than 3.6.5.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline sfried

Originally posted by karajorma
:wtf: I've been using that build for months. It's actually more stable than 3.6.5.

Are you sure? (I was running fs2_open_T-20050103-dbg.exe)

Can I have a direct link to the file as opposed to a link to a thread more than 2 months old?

Edit: That explains that. I've been using the debugger all the time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 05:57:25 pm by 2635 »

Offline WMCoolmon

-C

Offline sfried

Nevermind, WMCoolmon, I got it working (I was using the debug version all the time... Didn't know which one to put in).

No... help me decide!:

D3D
Pros
-Can use 2AA
-Stops fog from intersecting hull
Cons
-Dialog box slowdown
-WAAAYY Slow loading times
-Need to set nVidia card to "performance," negating default quality.

OpenGL
Pros
-Best performance (best framerate, even on high-poly models like the Herc and Fenris/Leviathan)
-Fastest loading times (comparable to that of FS2 retail's)
Cons
-No AA support (oddly enough)
-Fog will still intersect with hull, but not as much as FS2 retail
-Causes Adobe Gamma Loader to quit
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 06:31:18 pm by 2635 »

Offline WMCoolmon

Code: [Select]
-No AA support (oddly enough)

If you force-enable it in the nVidia control panel, it should work. That's what I'm doing right now because in D3D, AA causes the screen to flicker.
-C

Offline sfried

Hmm. Apparently, something's wrong with the FMV playback in OpenGL Mode. The bottom half is cut out. Also, this time my opinions are switched: It runs better on D3D with AA set to application, and then letting the Video option in the FSO Launcher do the work. So I guess that settles it, then.

Now if somebody can fix the dialog box slowdown problems everything will be just nice...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 07:20:27 pm by 2635 »

Offline sfried

Am I also supposed to copy the .dll files from the zip of taylor's build?

Offline sfried

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
You could try this build.

Any documentation to that build (does it have taylor's lighting plus faster OpenGL)?

Offline WMCoolmon

If he's committed it to CVS, yes. It has the -rlm command line argument, if that's what you mean It also fixes the freezing bug, which has been a problem in recent builds, and seems to have working OGG support. It does have a couple problems with ship docking, though.

Thread: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,31100.0.html

As stated in that thread, it does apparently have problems with some retail missions.

The DLL files, if they're included with a build, are required for it (Bad things can happen). Recently, the requirement for DLLs was gotten rid of.
-C

Offline sfried

Well, it seems I found a problem with your build:

a)"Stylus support" (something irky about mouse in menus. Didn't go "beserk" like that on previous builds (And oddly enough, this is also the symptom that FS1 has).
b)Movie playback in OGL is screwed. It shows it as a little movie on the upper right corner, instead of stretching it out as it should.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by deep_eyes
WHAT PROGRAM IS THIS??? http://fs2source.warpcore.org/wmcscreenies/labscreenie.png

I hope you're not serious :p

Look at the application title, as it is a screenshot of a window.  What you find there may suprise you ;)

Hey WMC, is there a reason that the menus don't show up in OGL screenshots?  They are there while the program's running, but when I look at the screencaps they aren't.  Not that it's a complaint; it makes for a cleaner screen, but if they should be there then something's slightly wrong.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline sfried

Originally posted by StratComm

I hope you're not serious :p

Look at the application title, as it is a screenshot of a window.  What you find there may suprise you ;)

Funny... Is this a new version of the techroom?

And WMC, I still have problems with movie playback in OGL. There seems to be a slight glitch causing the lower half of the movie to not show up.

And can the Adobe Gamma loader quitting problem be solved? (To those who have Photoshop, check your Control Panels to see if you have the Adobe Gamma profile settings. It supposedly adjusts your monitor for optimal gamma and color correction.) Everytime I switch to OpenGL, the program shuts off. With D3D, it goes back on again, but not with OGL.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 10:48:00 am by 2635 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Press 'F3' in the mainhall in any of the latest builds.  There are a couple of bugs in everything but the newest CVS that are annoying, but the tool itself is great.  Also wonderful for showing things off in-engine without having to build a mission around them.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM