Author Topic: Back to the rat race  (Read 15517 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ahh. I see. And after re-reading it, it makes alot more sense.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
hmmm...is anyone else thinking repair 'beams'?

This feature gives me a few mission ideas ;7
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I don't think repair beams will work unless setting a negative damage value for a weapon does it.

You can certainly try, though. It might just require a multiplicative "-1".
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
no, I was quoting your example up above, where you said it would 'heal' that many points to the hull, rather than damage it if the total damage value was less. By simply putting a multiplicative 1.0 and then putting a -10 to the additive, you can have a 'repair' beam if the damage of the weapon, is, say, 5 or so so, where it healed 5 hit points everytime it hit.

Quite useful for creating entirely new mission concepts,if I do say so myself. For once, Alpha 1 can actually fly an effective support ship - if that isn't enough, think of the possibilities for multi. You could have assault missions with one guy flying repair, protecting bombers against whatever damage the other team could through at 'em. It would introduce a true factor of teamwork in a sense.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Excellent work on the Lab :yes:

Don't know if this is a bug or not, using:
  • flags (-spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -2d_poof -rlm -orbradar -decals)
  • D3D
  • 1280x1024*32

The game loads up, but it only uses 1024x768 of the 1280x1024 window, see example. The text and button over states seem to be in their correct position but  the graphics are not. It does work fine with the same settings in OGL.

Offline WMCoolmon

That may be because of extra commits I made when adding the armor system/an attempt to fix the skinning problem.

I was curious if it was just me or not. :)
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
hmm... time to make reflective armor. :devil: *downloads*

damn timewarp :hopping:

we should use this with Borg ships. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Is there any key that allows you to scroll down the whole list of ships in the lab?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Now there is variable armor! One thing still is open: Is it going to be  possible with this system to not to make 'healing' weapons i.e. non-penetrating hits on armor? (perhaps with weapon flags??).

Long version:
If using 'additive armor' while firing at a capship with index value of -20 with weapon dealing 16 points of damage the weapon does -4 points of damage (heals 4) but could it rather do: 'zero or less than zero = zero' points of damage? Both might have uses though.

Like firing subachs at capship would only generate hit effects while Kayser might actually do something.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

Yes.

I just need to think up a good name for that method and actually add it in. (culling damage of less than/greater than a certain amounte).

It will probably take me more than six lines of code to do it though. :sigh: ;)
-C

Suggestion:

Boolean FLAG_Armor_not_magical_regenerative_armor

or

Boolean Flag_armor_ignores_negative

Offline Solatar

I get one of these with the armor.tbl.

---------------------------
Error!
---------------------------
Error: armor.tbl(5):
Error: Required token = [#End], found [)] .

File:.\parse\parselo.cpp

Line: 508

I can honestly not find the reason it is borking up...

#Armor Type
$Name: Multiplicative armor
$Type: multiplicative
;;    lasers0      plasma1     cannons2     missiles3     bombs4   bigass5
$0:  (0.5         0.7        0.9         1.0          1.2      2.0       )
#End

#Armor Type
$Name: Additive Armor
$Type: Additive
;;    lasers      plasma     cannons     missiles    bombs    bigass
$0:  (0.0        0.0       0.0        0.0         0.0      0.0  )   ;; Fenris armor
$1: (3.0 3.5, 0.3)
#End

EDIT: If I comment out the $0: data, it accepts the table, but won't do anything obviously. It then goes on to complain that the armor stuff in the ships.tbl and weapons.tbl is wrong.

Offline WMCoolmon

Probably something in the parser; I had to haxx0r some stuff in to work using vectors.

You can try removing the ), but I think I forgot to do a parse_advance(1) somewhere. Meaning if it doesn't find the parentheses, it'll give the opposite error.

More for tomorrow's todo list
-C

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Can the armor system be used to create regenerative armor?  I realize that this can be done via SEXPs, but a coded system is always preferable.  Regenerative armor is useful for things like Vorlon ships in TBP, or a Borg cube.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline WMCoolmon

No, but the $Hull Repair Rate: option can.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
whoh, the armor table makes my brain hurt.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
and yet somehow my material system is incomprehensable...

:)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i'm starting to get it now... but could you include an easy-to-follow guide to the armor table? :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

This is a really good concept, and needed.... It is going to need some playing with in order to understand!

Offline WMCoolmon

http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C20050520.zip

It should:
- Fix the armor.tbl parse problem
- Fix images not resizing in nonstandard res.

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 03:35:39 pm by 887 »
-C