Author Topic: You guys are my heros  (Read 8645 times)

Re: You guys are my heros
I got it now,  was playing on medium.

I was playing like I was in TIE. 

I tried using the ursa and made it the 2nd time.  I think the problem was that I was a)trying to get too close, b)ignoring the fighters completely.

I started by using some anti-ship missles to take out the first set of fighters, then aimed at the ravana and dodged a bit then let the cyclones fly at about 400-800 meters.  Then I'd turn and burn and take a few hits from the fighters following, I'd shoot them down if possible then make another run at the ravana.

When I finished it off I was down to 18% hull, lolz.  The next mission was with the perseus, which I love SO much.  I needed to guard a station and I whipped booté rather well.

The hard part is that I am doing this with a mouse and there are a TON of targetting keys and so forth on the keyboard.  I will pickup a joystick on monday and maybe up the difficulty to hard.

On a different note, are the medals awarded as the game progresses or do I have to actually earn them ?  ie: I jsut got the distinguished flying cross for the enis guarding mission and all I really did was own a couple bombers and their bombs.  Not worth a shiny gold medal in my book.

Anyway, night,

- Ryan

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
When I finished it off I was down to 18% hull, lolz.  The next mission was with the perseus, which I love SO much.  I needed to guard a station and I whipped booté rather well.
I feel the same way. I love the Perseus and it's relatives.

The hard part is that I am doing this with a mouse and there are a TON of targetting keys and so forth on the keyboard.  I will pickup a joystick on monday and maybe up the difficulty to hard.
You think a mouse is hard? I fly with this:

On a different note, are the medals awarded as the game progresses or do I have to actually earn them ?  ie: I jsut got the distinguished flying cross for the enis guarding mission and all I really did was own a couple bombers and their bombs.  Not worth a shiny gold medal in my book.

Some of them are just for completing the mission, some of them are MUCH harder than just getting through.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

"sheep was killed by friendly beam from the rampart"

The most ignoble way to die in the WORLD.  On the other hand, while luring them back to my friendly cruiser is a good idea, they can't really be held responsible for the precise aim of a beam that is wider than my ship.

Crap, 3 in the am... need to go to bed.. wait until monday, buy a joystick then play more...

lolz

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
"sheep was killed by friendly beam from the rampart"

The most ignoble way to die in the WORLD. 

:lol:

Command doesn't like you. You made the other pilots look bad so they set you up. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
The game progressively gets harder; we won't spoil all the surprise. However, a few tips... the Ursa is the best bomber in the game. If you want to dogfight you don't even have to fire primaries. Keep you target above the bomber; the turret will take care of the ship in about a minute, especially those that love flying circles around you. One good way to dodge missiles while in a fighter without countermeasures is to drop to half speed. As the missile sensor starts going wild, put the little orange triangle below the center of the hud and hit your burners once you get a visual on the missile (it takes alot of good timing to get this technique down... once you see the missile incoming you have to hit the burners and go above it). It can be done to dodge many missiles of you are lucky, though the easiest way to evade without CMs is to head toward the missiles and then afterburner when theyre very close. It doesn't work well on bombers, though can be attempted as a last-ditch effort. When you fly the Myrmidon (which you won't be flying much more) it is probably best if you put a high-energy weapon (the Prometheus) on the second bank and some low-energy weapon (the Subach HL-7) on the first bank. Don't load Tempest missiles on the second missile bank; they're best on the third bank though the first bank is OK.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

The game progressively gets harder; we won't spoil all the surprise. However, a few tips... the Ursa is the best bomber in the game. If you want to dogfight you don't even have to fire primaries. Keep you target above the bomber; the turret will take care of the ship in about a minute, especially those that love flying circles around you. One good way to dodge missiles while in a fighter without countermeasures is to drop to half speed. As the missile sensor starts going wild, put the little orange triangle below the center of the hud and hit your burners once you get a visual on the missile (it takes alot of good timing to get this technique down... once you see the missile incoming you have to hit the burners and go above it). It can be done to dodge many missiles of you are lucky, though the easiest way to evade without CMs is to head toward the missiles and then afterburner when theyre very close. It doesn't work well on bombers, though can be attempted as a last-ditch effort. When you fly the Myrmidon (which you won't be flying much more) it is probably best if you put a high-energy weapon (the Prometheus) on the second bank and some low-energy weapon (the Subach HL-7) on the first bank. Don't load Tempest missiles on the second missile bank; they're best on the third bank though the first bank is OK.

So far all the ships I've been using have 2 primary slots, with which I put an HL-7 and a prometheusR.  As for missles, I love the hipayload dumbfire (can't remember the name atm).  I just let loose with some gun, then drop a few missles from close range.

I will keep that in mind about the Ursa.  I was unaware that it had an autofireing turret, that is helpfull as heck.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hm, if the Prom S (Prometheus Standard) becomes available, be sure to use it instead of Prom R (Prometheus Retrofit)  The Prom R is only used because GTVA doesn't have resources for Prom S just yet.  Prom S fires about 2x faster and has increased damage vs hull and shields

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
There are a few other tips when you choose two of the same weapon, such as in a Herc2 loading up 2 PromS or PromR and making them fire about 40% faster. Here's the lowdown on it...

Your keyboard is probably set so that the . key cycles through primaries. Set on the second gun bank and when you're close, start firing. About half-way between each shot, hit the . key and it switches it to fire the first bank between shots of the second bank. Damage stays the same though you fire much faster. You have to reset this each and every time you stop firing, or it fires both banks at the same time, taking away the advantage of speed.

The Ursa (highly recommended) and the Medusa (mostly hated) both have top-mounted automatic turrets. The Ursa turret is based on the UD-8 Kayser (think of a cross between Subach HL-7, Prometheus S, and a wicked-cool silver shot) while the Medusa's turret is based on the Prometheus R. In short, the Ursa's turret is much better.

Only one warning; the Ursa is the biggest ship in the game. This topic should help you understand the size differances.

The first picture (from left to right)
Boeing 747
Stack 1: Ursa, Medusa, Artemis, Zeus
Stack 2: Hercules Mk1, Apollo, Perseus, Ulysses

The second picture includes a GTC Fenris cruiser.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
FS realism just got pwned.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
More meant to show how ungodly huge each craft is compared to each other. Makes me wonder how I took down all those Ulysses...

Anyways, the Ursa is gigantic; large enough to play basketball on. I'd be more afraid of what could go wrong with such a large bomber then being swarmed. Fortunately, any problems with you ship in FS2 is done by FRED or subsystem damage.

Offline neoterran

don't forget to play the Freespace 1 port and all the other major campaigns (I suggest starting with derelict) after you beat freespace 2. There are literally hundreds of missions out there.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
and dont forget standalone mods, and making your own mods, ect.

is this what people do on hard-light after a new guy joins now?

I've already been thinking of what I would do with my own campaign.  I have some ideas about what would make interesting missions.  I would want ones that are more in-depth than what I've seen so far.  I really miss my old TIE fighter game, damn that game rocked.

I've heard a ton about derelict, well not a ton but I've seen the name more than a few times in the last week.  I would be more interested in the FS1 port as an immediate thing after finished FS2.  And I really really need to get the descent for windows thing, that was an awesome game.  I still have the vertigo missions cd, though I've lost the install disc for DII.

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
my D2 install disk is gone too. man, that was an awesome game. some one should make a descent mod for freespace

you know, its glad to see that someone likes our (that word is debatable, since I have contributed only for about 0.00000002 %) work

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
See, I would have people play FSPort b4 FS2, its better that way...
As far as Descent for Windows, link is in my siggy.  As far as Derelict, FSPort, and other MODs go, use the installer by Turey in my siggy, but wait till April 1st.
If you are sure that you have your DII install disk around somewheres, bittorrent it... you are the legal owner, right?  Just search "Descent II iso" or similar on a Torrent search site.  It might take a couple of trys till you find a good torrent, and be sure to virus scan the files before using them.  If you don't know of any torrent search sites, google "torrent search engine" .

Offline takashi

• Better than TrashMan
A: Tureys installer doesent have wing commander saga.
b: actualy, i got it from my uncle. no purchase  :doubt:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Then use the hip63 DVD link in my siggy.  ;)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I've already been thinking of what I would do with my own campaign.  I have some ideas about what would make interesting missions.  I would want ones that are more in-depth than what I've seen so far.  I really miss my old TIE fighter game, damn that game rocked.

Seeing as you have such an affinity for TIE Fighter, it might brighten your day to know that the Star Wars Conversion is always looking for help.  We've recently started the project back up with some fresh blood, and more would always help.  All we ask is for someone with an urge to learn and contribute, and you sound like you might fit the tab.  Let me know if you're interested.  Link to the project's page is in my sig.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays