Author Topic: What do you think about an additionnal command option ?  (Read 8149 times)

Re: What do you think about an additionnal command option ?
What's wrong with taunting you pathetic descendant of monkeys?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Man, I would have loved this option way back in the day when I still couldn't tell which ship class was which properly. :p

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
What's wrong with taunting you pathetic descendant of monkeys?

We should feast upon his offspring and litter space with ape corpses. :P

Spoiler:
Those are taunts used by the Kilrathi in Wing Commander, in case you didn't get them.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
For the implementation, I think (attack the wing of my target) it could be a sort of derivation from the Attack Enemies. If "Attack the wing of my target" is ordered, then fighters would attack the ships in order that each ship would have the same number of attackers.

For "Protect the wing of my target", I don't know how it works, but I'm sure I already saw an order like that in one of the FSport or STR mission (when I was targetting an ally, his order was "protect alpha wing" for example).

For the command option... a touch sequence like "alt + 1" for attack the wing of my target would be too long to push. Imagine you want to give an order like that when you are dogfighting...  :no:

But I think the best solution could be to integer a submenu. Example : push C (command orders appears), then 3 "All fighters", then 1 "Destroy...", then 1 ".. my target", or 2 ".. the wing of my target"

And, for the user who doesn't want to destroy the wing of his target : the difference between C 3 1 and C 3 1 1 isn't so great. 50 ms or 100 ms maybe ?

But the negative point would be to modify some dialogs of the training missions. Or modify the order "Push C, 3, 1" by "Push C, 3, 1, 1"

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, no.

Seriously, altering the ingrained commands is NOT a good idea.
Players like me, who have sequences like c31, c38 or c35 memorized will scream bloody murder at such a change.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah. I think something like c-3-alt1, maybe, but...not c-3-1-1.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
yeah.. don't mess with commands we all know...

The shift-1 or alt-1 seems like a good option.

Also, maybe we should move this to the SCP board?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
do the - and = keys serve any purpose?
i could see c3- amd c3= being the next two commands :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Another way to do this, all be it something far less available for most users, is confine the advanced commands to voice-ONLY use.  That is, that the system which was set up (and I'm not sure if it is still enabled or if anyone is working on it or using it) to allow a player to give a voice command via microphone link to the computer, which would receive and interpret the command, and execute it.  Using that system (again, if it is functional) would bypass the need for change to the menu system.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Voice recognition crashes the game right now.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, so much for that idea... for now. :drevil:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline -Norbert-

i could see c3- amd c3= being the next two commands
I don't know for english layout keyboards, but in the standard configuration of a german layout keyboard those two keys (ß and ´) are used for increasing/decreasing speed. Not the change while pushed (A/Z), but the permanent one.
Would the key left of the numbers work? That one isn't used on my keyboard (^ on german layout).

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
i could see c3- amd c3= being the next two commands
I don't know for english layout keyboards, but in the standard configuration of a german layout keyboard those two keys (ß and ´) are used for increasing/decreasing speed. Not the change while pushed (A/Z), but the permanent one.
Would the key left of the numbers work? That one isn't used on my keyboard (^ on german layout).
This does hold true for English keyboards. Each tap is an increase or decrease of 5% throttle.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

While the comms screen is open it takes p residence over the keys it offers you for options, this is only obvious on multi though.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline -Norbert-

Oh. I didn't know that. In that case I'm all for the keys to the right of the numbers.

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
Yeah, no.

Seriously, altering the ingrained commands is NOT a good idea.
Players like me, who have sequences like c31, c38 or c35 memorized will scream bloody murder at such a change.

Yeah, you're true, those sequences are deeply memorized in my head too, but the c311 is just a repetition of the last key (1). c38 wouldn't be changed, but for c35, it could become c355 for protect my target. Anyway, it could be switchable into an option...

I'm okay to post it into the SCP board (I think you mean "The Freespace Upgrade Project", I'm new here so I don't really know all the sections of the forum..), but maybe later, in something like one week ; before posting it, it could be good to accumulate several different ideas for this topic.

Offline -Norbert-

Nope. FSU is for things like interface art, models, effects.... the visual kind of Upgrades.
SCP - The Source Code Project is for changing and adding functionality into the game. So this would be more of a SCP thing.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Yeah, you're true, those sequences are deeply memorized in my head too, but the c311 is just a repetition of the last key (1). c38 wouldn't be changed, but for c35, it could become c355 for protect my target. Anyway, it could be switchable into an option...

I'm okay to post it into the SCP board (I think you mean "The Freespace Upgrade Project", I'm new here so I don't really know all the sections of the forum..), but maybe later, in something like one week ; before posting it, it could be good to accumulate several different ideas for this topic.

That's not the point, I think. The point is that I need to press only three keys to issue the command I want. Which goes for every squad command in the comm menu.
The c-3-alt+number thing that was proposed before doesn't alter this, which is good.

Another point is that after you issue a command like c31, the com menu is closed.

The easiest option would be to introduce new options that can be accessed via PgUp and PgDown.

Also, please keep in mind that if something like this is added to the engine, it will most likely be a tbl-activated extra.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
I've moved the topic into the SCP board : http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=70460.0

I hope it will be added  :)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Oh, dude, you didn't need to repost to the SCP board.

1. The mods could've moved the entire topic as is to the board,

and  2. It's usually the mods' call as to whether the topic gets moved. I think.