Author Topic: Greetings (WARNING: Newcomer questions)  (Read 3103 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Greetings (WARNING: Newcomer questions)
Hello, just singed on, and as with all newcomers, i have one or two questions for the Inferno Mod Creators.

(I apologise if the following has been asked before, and understand if anyone is angered by repetivity)

1) When the MOD is downloaded and installed, does it REPLACE the original ships and stations, or does it add on to the original list? (i.e. in FRED and in the tech room, both origional and Inferno ships appear)

2) Are their any known bugs with the current software? No offense to the hard workers who create this superb MOD, but i'd rather install a bug-free mod.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Exarch

1) It replaces the regular ships in FS2, though a few of them are still in use in this later era.

2) Everything worked fine for me, the only 'bugs' are some very minor oversights that I had to look real hard to find.

Note that everything this mod does can be undone by removing the inferno .vp from the FS2 directory and creating a new pilot upon startup.

Yeah that's correct, although being a near total conversion for FS2, all the space combat hardware has changed. Supporting vessels like Argos and Hipocrates' are the only remaining 'relics' from the Capella era. Oh, and the Sathanas as well. ;)

Sid.

Offline T-Man

A pity about them replacing the old ships.

It would be good in case people wanted any "Time travel" Missions.

And the truth is (Forgive me lord for i have sinned) I was thinking of making a campaign that for storyline purposes uses the old FS2 and Inferno ships at the same time.

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Assuming you didn't want to use all of the FS2 ships and all of the Inferno ships (I think that would go beyond current limits - feel free to correct me anyone), you can do that by putting whatever ships you want into a new ships table. Then have all the files the ships refer to; models, maps etc in the right place and its possible.

Offline T-Man

Thanks to all who answered my previous ones. Here's some more.

Allow me to apologise if i've annoyed anyone during my stay on this forum. If i have, please feel free to kick me.

If these questions by the way, should be going somewhere else, do please tell me.

New questions

3) Are original and Inferno weapons inter-changable (Could a Phobos use old weapons while a Deimos used new weapons, and vice versa)

4) How much stronger are the new weapons compared to the old ones? Could they win easily, or would they be the same?

5) How do you add music to the music list in FRED2.

Thank you for your time. Good luck with the MOD!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
3) The original FS2 weapons had to be removed to make room for the new ones. However a Deimos table could be hacked to work with the INF mods.

4) Most of the new weapons are far superior than the original fs2 ones

5) No new music can be added with the standard FS2 as we've already hit the limit. You need to use Phreaks INF build of FS Open to add more tracks.

Offline T-Man

My final Question before i perhaps close this thread off due to the general boredom it is no doubt causing you.

WARNING: This question could possibly be classed as one which needs a spoiler answer.

Will Capella be starring in the MOD. Becuase i was thinking about making a campaign where the SOC aquire an Odin-class superdestroyer (called the GTSD Excalibur) and use its special hyperspace drive to travel through one of the collapsed capella nodes, and then hiding in the nebula there while using stealth technology to aquire intelligence data on the Shivan forces within Cappella and Gamma Draconis.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Nope, we don't go to Capella. Our main areas are around Sol, Vega and Altair.

Offline T-Man

Excellent, for once in my life ive had an original idea :D....

Wait...i'm using your vessels and your storyline....

...DAM, ITS NOT ORIGINAL :sigh:!!!!!!

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
It's original enough :D Go for it.

Offline J.F.K.

Good on ya mate - oh, and welcome to HLP. :) If you want to take some advice, start small. Make your campaign four, maybe five missions to start with - set your quality high. That lays the foundation for larger campaigns later. Of course, if you weren't originally thinking of making an enormous campaign to start with, you can just ignore this statement. :D
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline T-Man

Thanks for the advice JFK:D. I'll probly go for a small
mini-campaign (namely becuase my pee brained mind cant think up more than six mission plots):lol:.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by T-Man
Thanks for the advice JFK:D. I'll probly go for a small
mini-campaign (namely becuase my pee brained mind cant think up more than six mission plots):lol:.

Don't knock yourself too hard :) At risk of going off into the areas of ridiculous philosophism (Is that even a word? :)), everyone has as much chance as anybody else to contribute, and FRED isn't really that hard, if you work at it and practice a bit. Being a native english speaker will help a lot also.

Good Luck!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline T-Man

Don't worry about that, i've been practicing with FRED for a long time. I was using it with the original Freespace aswell, its a dam good program.