Author Topic: 2 New Trailers  (Read 12271 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by mr.WHO
Those flak's are cool looking. They are normal or cluster flak?
There is a moment when harpy attacks boreas or corvette, fire it's beam and turn in the same moment(best part of trailer).

It's standard flak guns, but it's using our increased fire rate version of the INF build. All weapons act like they are on insane difficulty from medium onwards.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Some shots from the original source video

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
sweet!

I really ought to play R1 one of these days...if only that darn .exe wasn't corrupt!

you use FRAPS for the videos...but what about Audio? How do you capture that?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a featureā„¢
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Originally posted by Singh
sweet!

I really ought to play R1 one of these days...if only that darn .exe wasn't corrupt!

you use FRAPS for the videos...but what about Audio? How do you capture that?

Fraps can capture audio too
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Skippy

Fraps can capture audio too

Dangit..your using the paid version that means. The free version cant capture audio at all :(
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline mr.WHO

Only shivans have fighter beams??
We've seen a lot of terran, shivan and few EA fighters/bombers
but now new vasudan fighters.
Edit: what is that myrmidon under my name??

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No, Sids working on some Vasudan ones, but I don't have them yet so I could only take shots of the Shivan beams since I made those.

Terrans and EA don't get fighterbeams.

Well you see the Nefertem for a brief second in that trailer when it decides to ram me. The only one you won't know is the Setep, the Vasudan super bomber. The rest are either R1 ships, R1.5 ships or from other sources.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Awesome. Highlighted. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
Is their another source for the vid then fileplanet....I get allways kicked...
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that you learned nothing of your mistakes with R1.

This is by no means an offence at your hard work or anything - but sometimes quality is more important than quantity.

From what I can see on the videos, I see the same issues I saw with R1:

- All your new weapons and ships are completely crap (a select few infinitely overpowered) compared to the ones you got to fly in FS2. Seen as this plays at a later date, maybe the technology should be more advanced - NOT worse than it was. And it should be consistant. Most of the ships cannot be flown properly (remember the Claymore?) and most of the missiles are useless compared to the good old Trebuchet or Harpoon. Another (not so important) issue is the naming. (Just to clarify, i'm not talking about the look, but the actual table values)

- The weapon effects seem little convincing (and the shivan engines are... weird)

- Connected to the last issue, the fighter beams seem to have some problems - mainly with the sound and the beam glows.

- There's thousands of new models, some of them not matching up with FS2's standard (The Andra doesnt even look remotely like a shivan ship, for instance)

- You still use that horrible explosion effect which looks pixelated even from hundreds of metres distance (and also tends to slow down the game for some reason)

- A new issue actually. You're using my backgrounds, but seem to wildly clutter them together (which doesnt look exactly great). I know it's taking a while to fiddle around with the backgrounds, but it's definately worth the effort. Take a look at the WC:S trailer released some days ago for an almost perfect example what to do with my backgrounds :)

That said, I still like the Gorgon very much, and the Harpy is looking pretty good as well. Another bonus are the shockwaves and the shield ship icons.

Once again, please do not be offended or angry at me, as I mean no offence at all.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Is that a kurruk?! OOh. I wanna watch!. ;7
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*watches video*

OOH! It is a Kurruk! My baby lives!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline mr.WHO

Do the shivan ships are kickass or warrior is very weak, or both??
Do you have a bomberbeams?
Do you remember about both claymores and Cyone when you created ships and gunpoints?? :)

Originally posted by Lightspeed
I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that you learned nothing of your mistakes with R1.

This is by no means an offence at your hard work or anything - but sometimes quality is more important than quantity.

[blah]

Well I've noticed you're never satisfied by anything graphical that isn't your own work (like me and 99% of mission scripts) so it'd be hard for us to take offence. But bear in mind

a) This probably won't be going in the campaign, it's more an extra mission for showing off some of our later mods;

b) Like Woo said, most of our effects aren't final, though this should change in the next few weeks when our modpack's finalised;

c) The demo was recorded on a mid-range PC in OGL so many effects weren't enabled.

Originally posted by mr.WHO
Do the shivan ships are kickass or warrior is very weak, or both??
Do you have a bomberbeams?
Do you remember about both claymores and Cyone when you created ships and gunpoints?? :)

a) The Warrior's pretty weak, yeah - you have to wait until the second chapter to get slightly-better-than-Harpoon missiles. It's also an EA weapon BTW, the Terrans' Shadow is a bit better.

b) Yes - Vasudan technology

c) Very much. :p There should be no stupidly positioned firepoints on playable ships now.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 03:15:16 pm by 443 »

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
- All your new weapons and ships are completely crap (a select few infinitely overpowered) compared to the ones you got to fly in FS2. Seen as this plays at a later date, maybe the technology should be more advanced - NOT worse than it was. And it should be consistant. Most of the ships cannot be flown properly (remember the Claymore?) and most of the missiles are useless compared to the good old Trebuchet or Harpoon. Another (not so important) issue is the naming. (Just to clarify, i'm not talking about the look, but the actual table values)

Why are they completely crap? How would you know how the ships fly? the weapons are improved over the FS2 ones for accuracy.
Our ships are not overpowered for what we're doing.
I can fly the claymore 1 and I suck so there :p
claymore 2 has closer fire points so there should be no complaints about that.
So what is the problem?
Remember we have nearly replaced everything, and what is left from FS2 was upgraded too.

- The weapon effects seem little convincing (and the shivan engines are... weird)

The effects have not been upgraded yet, and those are your thruster effects.

- Connected to the last issue, the fighter beams seem to have some problems - mainly with the sound and the beam glows.

The fighterbeams are early beta and have not had new sounds made for them yet.

- You still use that horrible explosion effect which looks pixelated even from hundreds of metres distance (and also tends to slow down the game for some reason)

They look fine here and have no slowdown. The only slowdown we get is from tga files such as the nebulas.

- A new issue actually. You're using my backgrounds, but seem to wildly clutter them together (which doesnt look exactly great). I know it's taking a while to fiddle around with the backgrounds, but it's definately worth the effort. Take a look at the WC:S trailer released some days ago for an almost perfect example what to do with my backgrounds :)

We'll be able to do it better once FRED can show them again. I was also using the fov command line which can make it look worse.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by SadisticSid

c) The demo was recorded on a mid-range PC in OGL so many effects weren't enabled.

Bah my PC only has a mid range graphics card :p
I took that in D3D though not OGL. That's why there is no spec lighting.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Okay....

Well I've noticed you're never satisfied by anything graphical that isn't your own work (like me and 99% of mission scripts) so it'd be hard for us to take offence.

I'm a perfectionist. I'm not satisfied with my stuff either, normally.

Why are they completely crap? How would you know how the ships fly? the weapons are improved over the FS2 ones for accuracy.
Our ships are not overpowered for what we're doing.
I can fly the claymore 1 and I suck so there
claymore 2 has closer fire points so there should be no complaints about that.
So what is the problem?
Remember we have nearly replaced everything, and what is left from FS2 was upgraded too.

The problem is.... That Claymore thingy had so insanely high turning speeds that it was unmaneuvrable (i.e. you couldnt hit ANYTHING because a slight grip on your joystick sent it spinning miles away). That increased accuracy did not feel like it at all to me. What I remember about the missiles (and they look very much alike those in the trailers) is that they aimed significantly worse than the retail ones, I could carry less of them, and they were considerably weaker. The "overpowered ships" thingy - it's a bit funny how much influence the player has with the capships that are around -- that's my point of view.

The effects have not been upgraded yet, and those are your thruster effects.

Definately not. The thrusters on those shivan ships have no trail at all, and aren't using my glows either. Having no trail at all all you see is the POF based ones. When you upgrade the effects: Make them so you can still see what you're shooting (instead of the whole screen blocked by your shots). I'd also suggest to re-colour that cyan/purple missile :wtf:

They look fine here and have no slowdown.

The problem is that theres pixels without any transistion. Instead of getting blurry when you close in, it gets pixelated - and this is visible from large distances as well (especially with cap ships).

I have picked this screenshot because it's from the official trailer. Unfortunately it's a bit near, but I assure you'll see them too from quite a bit away.

We'll be able to do it better once FRED can show them again. I was also using the fov command line which can make it look worse.

you'll need the PCX FRED placeholders.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The problem is.... That Claymore thingy had so insanely high turning speeds that it was unmaneuvrable (i.e. you couldnt hit ANYTHING because a slight grip on your joystick sent it spinning miles away).

That's your joysticks problem then, I can fly it with the mouse with little difficulty.

What I remember about the missiles (and they look very much alike those in the trailers) is that they aimed significantly worse than the retail ones, I could carry less of them, and they were considerably weaker. The "overpowered ships" thingy - it's a bit funny how much influence the player has with the capships that are around -- that's my point of view.

In R2 fighters are not very effective against any form of capship. It takes a medium fighter to do runs against cruiser turrets. We've designed it so that capships are now extremely nasty to attack, especially in light fighters. A Mihos will not last long against an Eclipse and it's near suicide to go against an Aesacus. Bombers are needed for capship assault. It is possible I suppose to use wekaer fighters to destroy a cruiser, however it should be highly unlikely now for that to be possible.

The missiles are different ones, we're just reusing the same pof files :D

Definately not. The thrusters on those shivan ships have no trail at all, and aren't using my glows either.

I turned the trail off, it just uses the glow effect.

The problem is that theres pixels without any transistion. Instead of getting blurry when you close in, it gets pixelated - and this is visible from large distances as well (especially with cap ships).

Nothing I can do about that I'm affraid, got no staff to redo them.

you'll need the PCX FRED placeholders.

We do have them, but they aren't working in our current FRED build.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
As for the weapon effects in general (recolouring etc)

The last big hurdle for use is the weapons and their effects. It's the only thing stopping me from producing a new staff modpack. The current build for staff members is dated march and is totally out of date. We're currently trying to get the weapons done. With the ship models mostly done it's the last big thing to do before more missions can be produced.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
One thing that I noticed in R1 was that the terran laser turrets seemed almost totally ineffective. Are they going to be more powerful in R2?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key