Author Topic: Thought you might be interested...  (Read 30530 times)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: Thought you might be interested...
Just a note that complete redesigns may not be used, as we keep the low poly ones avaliable for those with lower end systems and both models need to match up enough. This was an issue at first with the HTL Lindos as the model was too different from the old low poly version.

Ok.... but I do have to say that IMO, the Herc 3 does NOT look like a hercules AT ALL! And, I'm glad the vesuvius is scrapped because...um...that was about the ugliest fighter I've ever seen. :ick: Also, with the Notus, its too bad that the ultimate bomber has to look like a shoebox. :( But I'm not here to put down your designs, I just wish some were different. Actually, I love most of Inferno's ships, I just think they are way too low poly. BTW, I am now able to export sketchup files to 3ds or obj if you would prefer that for future models. I am also trying to learn to texture... Is it possible to just paint the model's faces with a texture, or do  I have to map them? And If I do texture the Peregrine, do you prefer the old style of brown and tan and black, or do you want somthing lighter?
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
The Peregrine has to use the EA style maps the rest of them now use. All EA ships use either the exact same textures, or ones that are similar.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Hey, man can you redo the Succubus? It's lower than the standard IMO. It can be found in the OTT Modpack.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
TBH I still prefer the current Peregrine (the one that appeared in the Glory Shots thread).
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

I am trying to cvonvert the model to pof format to test it myself, but none of the programs I tried work. (cob2pof, cob2fs2, pof constructer suite) they all give me errors, say its too high poly, etc... What do you use?
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I'd use the autofacet version of PCS. It should convert that model if the mesh is ok as the polycount is around 5 1/2k and PCS can handle that.

There is definately somthing wrong. I finally got it to convert, and now it looks like this:
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP

Looks ok here.

hmm...I must not have the right version of pofconstructor or somthing because it dosent work for me... can you upload that and give me a link to whatever version you used? I would like to figure out what I am doing wrong.
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
I don't have a link to PCS now since everything moved, you might have better luck in the main modding forum.

I've attached the pof from the screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

I downloaded the file, and model view doesnt load it, I just get a blank screen. And, it seems that I do have the most up-to-date version of pof constructor... Maybe I should get back to modeling and leave the conversion to people who know what they are doing. :doubt:
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Search for Vasudan Admirals higher limits modelview if you don't have it.

My Truespace doesn't like me editing this mesh though and randomly flips faces and doesn't let me fix them, so I'll have to use max for both mapping and adding a cockpit mesh, so this will take quite some time to attempt as I'm not as good when using max for editing.

I can't seem to find a link to the higher limits build. Oh well. But if you want to upload the cockpit file (just about any format will do), I will try to put it into the model in sketchup, and then I should be able to export it as a 3ds file, and maybe that will save you the trouble of using max or w/e.
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Ok I've spent the last 2 hours trying to stabilise the mesh in Truespace, here's the result:

I had to remove the round parts used for the engines and missile tubes as they were totally corrupted, on the plus side removing them drastically reduced the polycount. I had to rebuild several parts of the mesh as TS deleted them so it's not 100% accurate to the original, however it seems to be totally stable.

Polycount is down from 4960-1350

Still, it looks a lot better than the origional one!
3.2 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce 7800
1 gig RAM

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Me likes. How about the textures?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
After Christmas when I have more time :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
:)

SLICK2L6,there are many things you can do for Inferno. It's all on Woo's shoulders and I hardly accept it...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Actually I'd like to see some HTL versions of INF:A capships more than INF SCP ones. The Tyr and Vidar could really use it the most.