Author Topic: So you want to FRED for INF SCP...  (Read 17159 times)

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
So you want to FRED for INF SCP...
Do you want INF SCP released released by the end of 2007 or sooner?  Well, this is your chance to do something about it!  As most of you know, INF SCP (if you don't know what it is, feel free to do a search on this forum) is being fervently worked on again, especially with mission design.  The story is pretty much worked out for the next 30 or so missions, so we want to give you guys a chance to help us out.

So I'll just cut to the chase - if you want to FRED for INF SCP, the INF SCP team will need a sample mission from those interested.  The mission must:

1. Be coded for FS2 Vanilla and/or SCP (that means no MediaVP specific stuff and no MODs).
2. Have a story that moves the mission along (linear or slant - it doesn't matter).
3. Be well structured and organized (that means it must be well-coded, w/ briefing and debriefing).
4. State clearly what the player is expected to do.
5. Be aesthetically appealing (do your best with backgrounds, appropriate ships, etc.)
6. Be unique (it is your creative piece, so give it your ownership in creativity)
7. Have chatter (amongst wingmen, capital ships, and/or enemy ships) to move the story along.
8. Be written in English (US or UK) as best as you can.
9. Have no spelling or grammar errors (as few as possible - it's a sign of professionalism).
10. Be bug free (probably the most important criteria).

The things listed might be a little daunting, but they're second nature to any decent FREDder.  Also I'm not looking for THE perfect mission.  To do that, you can play one of Blaise Russell's campaigns.  Also, if English is not your primary language or you have difficulty with the English language, then ignore numbers 7 and 8.  But if you DO speak English, please attempt number 8 as best as you can.  You can submit your mission here as an attachment until we get our share of FREDders.

I haven't run this over w/ Sid or Woo yet, so I can't be certain you'll have something to do immediately after we (most likely me) approve your mission.  But chances are, after you're hired, you'll FRED one mission per week.  Feel free to post any questions here.  No question is too stupid or insignificant.

Woo, feel free to sticky this at your discretion.

- Rampage
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:52:14 pm by Rampage »

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Re: So you want to FRED for INF SCP...
Criteria 1 - No mediavp specific stuff either please
Criteria 2 might be difficult to achieve as they are making a single stand alone mission, not a campaign
Criteria 5 doesn't really matter as well, since there are many different backgrounds and stuff it doesn't really matter for a sample, and all of our mission backgrounds will use set templates
Criteria 9 discriminates against those who aren't English native who might be able to make good missions, but end up weaker at dialogue. There's a reason we have testers and people who check that sort of thing.

Criteria 3 is quite important, since others will be editing and checking the mission a decent flow of the sexps and proper naming of events is required

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Woo makes several good points here - - I've updated the list.

Moreover this is a talent search for FREDders, so we won't go uber-crazy over little stuff.  Just try your best.  Be creative!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Anyway, I uploaded the file to filefront. It's @: http://files.filefront.com/z_ntffs2/;6778862;;/fileinfo.html

NTF mission in Alpha Centauri. The NTD Alsace must capture the planet Alpha Centauri V from Vasudan forces. I didn't do too much research, and canonically the Alsace has already been destroyed earlier in a multi mission in the Sirius system. But yeah. And Command is CM1 because it's the NTF anyway.

You like?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:02:50 pm by Snail »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I have experience with both Inferno and FRED...and the two thing combined since I FREDded about 30 missions.

I can implement them with nice backgrounds and cutscenes. I'm sorry Steadfast isn't completed yet...you would appreciate our work.

Can you be more specific? I have no time to imagine missions...
I may UL one of my old missions that have been scrapped from SthCrs...boh...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You guys should know LGM's good at FRED.

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
The mission doesn't have to be new.  If we can play it in FS2 SCP, then it counts as in.  We just want to see your FREDding abilities.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Have you played my mission for INFA2 (not official yet tho)? That's also a good example of my ability.

I'd say I'm about average or just over average. What do you think?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Well I can use variables of any kind and advanced conditionals. I use manipulation of coords and orientation. I add and remove background bitmaps when I create cutscenes. I create in-mission cutscenes(take off, important events and landing).

But at the moment I have no time to think about mission ideas. Simply write here a kind of mission you want-this will also help you. For ecample, if you choose an NTF raid on a GTVA depot with events x,y and z...we create missions that are similar each other so you can realize what we are capable of.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mine is a special attack on a convoy to draw out the GVCv Sopedu. Then the NTD Alsace arrives to attack the Sopedu. Vasudans deploy reinforcements and try to attack the Alsace while it recharges its jump drives. The player must destroy the convoy, the Sopedu and GTVA reinforcements. Maybe you could base it on that one?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Too ugly...

Eh eh I was joking.

I need something else...what you have posted isn't enough. Also, Rampage should choose the type of mission, not you(no offense).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well I've already created one... I don't wanna create another. :P

A snail can only work so fast.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Mah...are you able to create 130kb missions with full backgrounds, cutscenes and stuff?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Are you implying that I suck?

All I said was that I don't want to create a second mission.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
No, I'm not saying that you suck. I just say that the use of advanced SEXPs and conditionals brings you to a certain level that may be ok for INF.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Or sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic. My bad. :)

I can create good enough backgrounds, I have limited ability at cutscenes and I can use quite complicated SEXPs, and use all types of number variables (haven't figured out or even tried to do string variables).

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
See? You have to learn. I always use string variables. They're useful.

:lol: Read The FAQ, you useless Goober5000 fan! :lol:

Basically I did this:

In thie first cutscene of the first mission of Steadfast,you take off from the carrier. Since the EA and the GTVA are allies, pilots can use fighters of both Alliances.
The camera points at the player wing taking off(trick!). You may select different fighters for your wingmen. Using a nice string variable system, I made the camera follow the fastest member of Beta wing(yes, in Steadfast you're Beta 1)....

Using variables, I made messages not to show up when the comms are jammed....

Mini-cutscenes of squadron flyby....

Background-add(and remove)bitmaps....

ecc.ecc.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I like Goober5000 because he delivers justice to trolls. At least he does it more than the more classic admins.

Fiiiiiiine, I'll go read the FAQ..

a time later:
Wow I read the FAQ a few times and now I got it. Scary. Whoa, now I get why you guys like Kara so much. :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I won't write Gaia anymore(unless we are in a Steadfast environment)if you stop writing Kara inSTEAD of Karajorma. I will also write instead as you mortals do. Ok?

Do you get it? With variables,scripting and advanced SEXPs and conditionals we can make Inferno the best campaign ever. It has everything-mods and new musics, with some new cbanis. A nice FREDding and everything's ok.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Call it what you want, I'm still writing the abbreviated form of Karajorma. Just that I myself got a little confused till I remembered that you decided to rename Melia to Gaia (well re-rename since it originally was Gaia then was changed to Melia and then back to Gaia again).