Author Topic: graphics mods  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
Folks,
Are there just graphic updates available for the original Freespace2 game?

My goal is:
-Wanna play coop with others in our unit
-Wanna make the graphics look as good as possible
-Most of us do not have a lot of spare time, so minimizing the number of downloads, etc. is desirable

Is there a 'pack' of original ships, objects, etc. available that improve upon the original games appearance?  If so, do we have to run the scp exe?  Is multiplayer available in coop mode in both the original game and the scp exe?  Can we play coop in the campaign/missions?  How many folks at one time are we limited to?

None of us have ever played the original campaign through.  Even though we are primarily a modern jet combat unit we have a few folks interested in sci-fi as well.  Some of us would like to  play a sci-fi combat sim as well as our normal games.

Before we explore the other avenues that the folks here have made possible we would like to explore the stock campaign.

Any help and suggestions are very welcome.  Thx!
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Um...all of the media VPs?
By the way, do you guys fly LOMAC? I've been dying to try multiplayer dogfighting in that game :)

EDIT: Wait, for the original Freespace game, you can't use the Media VPs. Basically what you have is what you've got with the original FS :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:44:09 pm by 368 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Steel
Folks,
Are there just graphic updates available for the original Freespace2 game?

My goal is:
-Wanna play coop with others in our unit
-Wanna make the graphics look as good as possible
-Most of us do not have a lot of spare time, so minimizing the number of downloads, etc. is desirable

Is there a 'pack' of original ships, objects, etc. available that improve upon the original games appearance?  

Both the SCP installation guide and SCP file list are at your disposal. There's tons of improvements on FS2 for the original content (That's one of the big goals of FS2open, isn't it? :) )

If so, do we have to run the scp exe?  Is multiplayer available in coop mode in both the original game and the scp exe?  Can we play coop in the campaign/missions?  How many folks at one time are we limited to?

Yes. / Yes. / There is a multi-version of the campaign around somewhere here for download, IIRC. You'll have to do a search for it. There's a lot of cool coop missions and some campaigns for multi coming with the game though, so I'd recommend those. / Technically twelve (although that only applies for dogfights, most coop missions and thingies are limited to around eight.)

None of us have ever played the original campaign through.  Even though we are primarily a modern jet combat unit we have a few folks interested in sci-fi as well.  Some of us would like to  play a sci-fi combat sim as well as our normal games.

Normal games? Anyway, you should try the campaign, or at least some single player before. FS2 has an incredibly steep learning curve. But believe me, when it comes to space sims, FS2 is the best of the best gameplay wise. (And that is no exaggeration or joke, mind you.)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
This is true! :D

Offline Steel

Thx all!  But by all means if more folks have info...  ;)

@ Lightspeed - Yes, "normal" games...  :D ;)

To reclarify - this is for FS2...(I would like to try the FSPort when it is ready and we have our feet wet).

My concern in running FSOpen is stability, et al.  I wanted to know if we can run stock EXCEPT for making the game look better.  Is that possible?  If not, I am sure folks here will help...

I have seen references to "multiplayer being almost finished" in regards to FSopen...  Does that mean no MP with FSOPen?  Or is it going to be better in FSopen once work on it is completed?

I do recall this being a complex space combat sim...and enjoyed the little I played of it back then.  The folks in our unit are quite handy with Falcon 4, so we are not shy of learning curves.

@ Unkown...  Yes, several of our folks fly LOMAC (I don't, too many shortcomings for me vs Falcon4).  Please do feel free to stop by our forums, introduce yourself.  We will be glad to have others along for the ride...  :)  We have a great group!

That goes for any others here as well.  We generally play tactical milsim games, both ground and air combat.  Our big ones right now are:  Joint Ops, Hidden and Dangerous 2: Sabre Squadron, Falcon 4 w/ SuperPak 4.2, LOMAC, StarWars Battlefront, Raven Shield/Athena Sword, IL2/Pacific Fighters, and others.  We are very diverse and easy going, enjoying many different careers and hobbies - including game types.  Most of us are ex-military or law enforcement, but that is not a requisite at all.

Forum link: http://www.wings-of-fury.com/phpBB/index.php
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 02:18:03 pm by 1161 »
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
@ Lightspeed - Yes, "normal" games...  :D ;)

It is your definition of "normal" I don't quite see.

To reclarify - this is for FS2...

Everything here is for FS2, actually.

(I would like to try the FSPort when it is ready and we have our feet wet).

The FSPort has been released for quite some time now, it's around version 2.5 IIRC. ST: Reborn is also close to release.

I have seen references to "multiplayer being almost finished" in regards to FSopen...  Does that mean no MP with FSOPen?  Or is it going to be better?

There is multiplayer, but no implemented chat lobby for internet games as of yet. The rest is working.

I do recall this being a complex space combat sim...and enjoyed the little I played of it back then.  The folks in our unit are quite handy with Falcon 4, so we are not shy of learning curves.

It's not necessarily complex, but rather put it this way:

There's (almost) nothing you cannot do with sufficient skill. FS2's learning curve "never stops". In theory you can and could reach perfection. This room for improvement is probably one of the reasons FS2 never got boring for me, playing it for years. There's just so many things you can do - it's awesome :)

We will be glad to have others along for the ride...  :)  We have a great group!

Activity is needed badly around here (especially on the multi side of things). So, the more the merrier, eh? ;)

Note: "Clan p1mping" is best incoorporated into signatures.

Offline Steel

Originally posted by Lightspeed

It is your definition of "normal" I don't quite see.

EXACTLY!!!  :)

Actually, in that context it meant the games we normally play in our unit.  Not that any games are more normal than others.

Everything here is for FS2, actually.

Meant for someone else that mentioned original FS above.

The FSPort has been released for quite some time now, it's around version 2.5 IIRC. ST: Reborn is also close to release.

Must be a lot of improvements then...I was just browsing a thread somewhere about a new release for it, either out or to be...

There is multiplayer, but no implemented chat lobby for internet games as of yet. The rest is working.

That will work for us then - we hardly ever use chat, mosly voice comms ala. ventrilo.

Thx for all the info.  Do you live here or are you just currently bored at work like me?  :D
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Are the high poly ships regularly integrated into the media VPs? If not, they, err...should be. :nod:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Some are. Some aren't. The newer ships are still missing.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Just the Herc & Levy, isn't it?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And whatsitsname. The vasudan gas miner.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Amununmentuhapshetsuket.  Or is it Anuket?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The Anuket. And you can download the Deimos seperatly.

And I'll drop by your guy's forums sometime :)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I wouldnt recommend anyone to use the mediaVPs. They're terribly outdated.

The only mediaVP that can be safely used is mv_core.

That will work for us then - we hardly ever use chat, mosly voice comms ala. ventrilo.

Oh, chat is working in-game, there's just no chat lobby.