Author Topic: World of Warcraft Private Servers  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
World of Warcraft Private Servers
I've got a friend of mine who stumbled across a private server for playing World of Warcraft, so that he doesn't have to pay Blizzard $15 a month to play.  I'm thinking of joining him on that server, but I'm wondering, is it legit to play on there?  Or does is constitute theft of service?

I have the link for the server's website that tells how to set up your game to connect, but I don't want to post it in the event that it violates HLP's no posting of pirated content rules...
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Re: World of Warcraft Private Servers
I've got a friend of mine who stumbled across a private server for playing World of Warcraft, so that he doesn't have to pay Blizzard $15 a month to play.  I'm thinking of joining him on that server, but I'm wondering, is it legit to play on there?  Or does is constitute theft of service?

I have the link for the server's website that tells how to set up your game to connect, but I don't want to post it in the event that it violates HLP's no posting of pirated content rules...

Doesn't that answer your own question? If the content on the site is illegal anyway and you know it, it can't possibly be legal to associate with them.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Well... what you pay to Blizzard is server maintenance and bandwidth cost, with which you gain permission ot play on Blizzard-maintained official server. I don't think blizzard can force you to paly on their server, and if you find someone who's willing to give the same service with zero price, you can play there and Blizzard doesn't really have anything to say to it since it's not like the game itself is pirated when you own it. Server just serves, the game is yours. Though you might want to ask if the server's owner has anything against spreading the news... they might not want just anyone to join in and flood the server.

But, don't trust my word on it. Read the EULA of WoW carefully, and wait for OK from an admin or moderator for final word if you're in doubt. But from my point of view, there doesn't seem to be anything illegal about playing a multiplayer game on a non-official server.

If Blizzard thinks they can force people to play on certain servers (which cost money) then they suck. And if the game allows hosting a dedicated server and people can join it, then I don't know what the problem is... :nervous:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Doesn't that answer your own question? If the content on the site is illegal anyway and you know it, it can't possibly be legal to associate with them.

-----------------------------

But, don't trust my word on it. Read the EULA of WoW carefully, and wait for OK from an admin or moderator for final word if you're in doubt. But from my point of view, there doesn't seem to be anything illegal about playing a multiplayer game on a non-official server.

I don't think any EULA (for something like a game) has ever been enforced by the law (in the U.S., at least).

-------

The way I view it, you (hopefully) paid for the game itself, and won't be using up bandwidth*. I can't imagine how that would be considered illegal, other than by some money-grubbing CEO.

*If you don't download patches from them, which I consider to be a given for purchasing the content in the first place.

Offline Tyrian

@Ghostavo -- I should have been clearer in my initial post, the Blizzard files that they host on the site are patches.  I own a legal copy of World of Warcraft, however, I don't own the Burning Crusade, which they do run on the server.  My comment on "pirated content" was in regards to a small file that allows you to access BC content.

@Herra -- Given that, I think I should be OK to post the link to the server's website.  If it's a problem, hopefully an admin will just remove it without banning me... :nervous:

Here it is:  *Link removed by poster*

Also, I don't think I can really ask a mod/admin from Blizzard because I canceled my account over a year ago.  My real concern is over the legality of downloading the patches/other files from the above site that allows me to access BC content.  I'm specifically concerned about the file in step 2 of the cookbook here (*Link removed by poster*), the Burning Crusade client upgrade.  Is that legit?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:05:30 am by Tyrian »

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Is the burning crusty patch freely downloadable from Blizzard, or do you need to purchase it?

If the former, then it's legit; if the latter, then it's not. And I was referring to HLP mods/admins, not blizzard's ones to make a judgement on this case.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Topgun

if it asks you to download something for burning crusade, then you probably can't connect to the sever without the whole expansion.

Offline Tyrian

Most of the expansion's content is included in the patches.  I played the basic version of WoW, and I could see the level 70 skills and spells, I just couldn't use them because of the level cap being set at 60. 

Sig rising...

Offline Topgun

just go buy BC. with the money you save from not paying for the severs you should be able to afford methinks.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Regarding the step 2 of the cookbook, the US link is from Blizzard's World of WarCraft website, so I'd wager it's a legit download. Unless Blizzard has an unsecure server...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
WoW patches can be downloaded freely from 3rd party sites. Burning Crusade expansion must be bought if you want to visit Outlands or any other zones that comes with the expansion, and you can't level your toons past lvl 60 without the expansion. The expansion can be downloaded from Blizzard, possibly also elsewhere too but you have to buy it to use it on Blizzard servers.

Also, 3rd party private servers are illegal. The only legit servers are Blizzard's. Keep in mind that 3rd party private servers can be used for malicious purposes as well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken