Author Topic: Crazy Idea  (Read 3196 times)

Offline Master_Drow

• Theseus CIC officer.
OK guys I just had a crazy idea. What if Diaspora was released on Steam? I know that they allow free games, and they love indie titles. The only thing I am not sure on is their requirements and process for updating the game for bug patches.

So, what do you all think?

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
No.  Just no.  AFAIK, Steam will not allow games that are based on someone else's IP to be released on that platform (although they do allow Source engine mods to be released on Steam, but I haven't seen many Source mods based on other IPs).

Do you see Wing Commander fan projects appearing on GOG.com? No, so you probably won't see Diaspora on Steam.
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Not going to happen.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Considering the events on ModDB, it's likely that the only thing it'd accomplish would be getting the mod closed down.
Diaspora shouldn't inform any important people that could bring lawyers on it's head about it's existence. It'll most likely get some publicity on release, but then, it'd be too late for lawyers anyway.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Everyone acts like the mod getting shut down on the internet's the end of it all. What about telephones and snail mail? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

what happened on moddb?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
They deleted pages of BSG mods from their site, due to problems with one of them (IIRC, for Nexus). Without warning nor explanation, Diaspora's page vanished off the site. They decided not to wait for a C&D notice.

Offline Vip

Everyone acts like the mod getting shut down on the internet's the end of it all. What about telephones and snail mail? :P

Oh, I can imagine with what joy the team would begin to burn and distribute the tens of thousands of DVDs :P Think of the post office employees!
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Not to mention DVDs can be confiscated. Once Diaspora is out, there's no stopping it spreading across the internet, C&D or not.
BTW, what's holding your guys down? The more you wait with the release, the more chances for you to get the axe.

Offline Madcat

I sincerely doubt that the Diaspora team is "waiting" with the release...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

Oh, I can imagine with what joy the team would begin to burn and distribute the tens of thousands of DVDs :P Think of the post office employees!

el oh el
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I sincerely doubt that the Diaspora team is "waiting" with the release...
I remember estimates placing the release in late june/early july. I'd just like to know what exactly is left to be done. Are you making final tweaks or redesigning half the campaign from ground up?

Offline newman

Are you making final tweaks or redesigning half the campaign from ground up?

Since you've been speaking for us for most of this thread, I'm going to let you come up with that answer yourself as well :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
My (rather educated) guess is that you're in "final tweaks" phase. I've been watching this forum very closely since I've seen a few BSG episodes on TV. Suddenly it jumped from "mildly interested" to "most awaited release" on my list. :) Besides, it's not like all previous info wasn't in a rather active thread back when it happened.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I am intrigued to know where you got the June/July release date from. I certainly never said it! And I'm pretty sure no one else on the team ever posted a release date.

We're definitely in the final stretch but with lots of things still remaining. Look at the code Swifty is working on or the stuff I'll be submitting soon and you'll see we still have a little bit of hard work ahead of us.
 What that means for the actual release date is something I can't say for certain.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

maybe he just said it in the hope that you would give up information to correct him? sort of a...
karajorma: "what! how did you know!?"
dragon: "you told me"
karajorma: "when!?"
dragon: "just now"
karajorma: "dang it!"
...kind of thing

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
We're definitely in the final stretch but with lots of things still remaining. Look at the code Swifty is working on or the stuff I'll be submitting soon and you'll see we still have a little bit of hard work ahead of us.
 What that means for the actual release date is something I can't say for certain.
Looking forward to seeing the new code. I hope they'll be as useful and flexible as Diaspora's previous contributions.