Author Topic: 3.6.10 and ships.tbl  (Read 6486 times)

It's too big for pastebin too.  Why is this file so damn huge?  I literally have no idea what to be looking for in this Bible-length file to post here. 

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Do you have a debug_filter.cfg or something similar in the folder with that log file?  It would possibly be spitting out parse information along with everything else, which can make it huge.  If not I have no idea, unless you grabbed the wrong file by mistake.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Here's the contents of the debug.cfg file.  Anything I should change?

+General
+General
+General
+Parse
+Error
+BmpMan
+Paging
+Network
+BmpFastLoad
+Fred routing
+SEXP
+Maps
+OpenGL
+SHADER-DEBUG
+Sound
+Model
+AB TRAIL
+Particles

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
You might as well remove the debug_filter.cfg until you really need it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Not necessarily, just make it -Parse instead of +Parse.  None of the others should blow it up that much.  Parsing is probably 90 or 95% of the log.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, guys, but I'm still having issues renaming existing ships using .tbm files.  Could someone maybe paste an example of a tbm entry that would do that?

Thanks all,

killface

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm confused.  A ship is essentially what it is based on its name.  If you change its name, it's a new ship.  The name is basically the 'key' that is used to refer to it.  You'd have to create a full duplicate of the ship's entry with the new name, and then change every reference to that ship to use the new name in a mission.  Does that make sense?

Offline nvsblmnc

• I'm a minefield of information.
Have you set FRED up to use the mvp folder as well?  If you'e not seeing ship changes in FRED, it may be pointing to the wrong mod.
When the reactor explodes, it's usually a sign that you've taken too much damage.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Do you see the new ship (and weapon) in F3 Ship Lab? That's what I would use for testing whether the ship is in-game or not.

For example, copypasting Ulysses entry into a TBM and replacing the name with GTF Odysseus would basically duplicate the Ulyssesm, but as a new ship called "Odysseus". When you get that working, you can start editing the stats, change it's model and other stuff.

One thing you might want to check... make sure that your tables don't end up as filename-shp.tbm.txt. That can sometimes happen... and windows' default behaviour hides the known file extensions so you end up seeing just filename-shp.tbm. You can (and should, IMHO) disable the extension hiding feature anyway, but you can check the actual full file name via the command line interface (you just need to navigate to the directory and then use the dir command to check what the extension of the file really is.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

nvsblmnc...how do I set FRED up to use the MVP folder?  I think that might be a big part of this because yes, ever since switching to 3.6.10 I have not been able to see my changes to ships.tbl in FRED.

Herra Tohtori...it seems that the file extensions are alright, but thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of that.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
nvsblmnc...how do I set FRED up to use the MVP folder?  I think that might be a big part of this because yes, ever since switching to 3.6.10 I have not been able to see my changes to ships.tbl in FRED.
You'll have to create a Windows shortcut to FRED2, then right-click on it and hit Properties.  Under the Shortcut tab, in the Target dialog box, add "-mod mediavps" (without the quotes) after the file path.  You can repeat this for any other mod folders you want FRED2 to have access to.

Alright, sweet, I can see the table changes in FRED now.  But a bizarre new error popped up when I tried to run one of the old missions:

Error: Can't open model file <laser1-1.pof>
File: modelread.cpp
Line: 1995

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
    fs2_open_3_6_10r-20090322_r5114.exe 004b2ab5()
------------------------------------------------------------------

???

Ok, nevermind, seems I simply had to remove all references to that nonexistent .pof file?  Strange how it was never a problem before.