Author Topic: Brown boxes.  (Read 27762 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Ah, the humble TAC 1. Behold its new polygons.

"But Galemp," you cry, "there's already a high poly TAC 1 in the media VPs!" And right you would be.
But I desired a larger UV map for it... so I can do this.

I've noticed on my commute the vast variety in colors and paint schemes of modular freight containers, so I thought I'd bring that to Freespace. The POF and textures will be forthcoming, but for now, HERE is the template so you can make your own. :D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:39:46 pm by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
oh I am SO gonna try this... don't know what I'll do yet but.......
EDIT: Uhhh.... what program do I use to open it?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 10:28:43 pm by Retsof »
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
This looks fun :)

Its a PSD, so open it with Photoshop.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Or The GIMP, if you don't wanna pay for it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This is fantastic. :D

Looking good Galemp!! It would be cool to add the corporate logos for Han Ronald, Triton Dynamics and so on to them as well using that template.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
And we can have actual commercial cargos! Awesome work Galemp!
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Does it mirror text on the side?
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Sadly, no. I ran out of space on the map, and I don't really want to make it any bigger.

Unless of course the community really really wants me to.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 11:54:55 am by Galemp »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Well, we can always write Bosch Beer on the top section... though it won't be as impressive as it would've been on the sides.

How much more work would it be if you put six rectangular polygons (two per each section, on opposite sides of course) overlayed to the surface (similar to the insignia system) that would use a transparent logo texture (or even better, part of the base texture rather than a separate texture)? If it were possible to map, say, 40x120 sized corner of the map for the logo and then UVMap that location to the rectangles in the model. That grid-like detail could probably handle a bit of resolution reduction...

....kinda like this:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:50:57 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
DESTROY THE BOSCH BEER PILOT!!!!
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
hmm, you're right. Lemme see what I can do.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
ta-dah.

I think this works better, thanks for the encouragement Herra. Template's at the same link.

I'll re-wrap the container with this map and it ought to be OK.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
We can do this for Vasudan containers and put "Headz" on the side.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
So where's the fancy Hi-poly POF?
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I hope the POF is fixed so that it doesn't spin on death.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
I dunno droid, it would at least justify the Red Shirts' reaction to them... :lol:

I'm thinking that the more brightly coloured ones look at bit out of place for TAC 1s, as they are usually found near front-line areas, according to the tech room. Perhaps the TTC or the other container classes more often used for civilian freight would be more appropriate for those textures. Just a thought. Still I'd like to see these TAC 1s as they are in the game anyway.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
I'm actually going to be putting a hold on this for now, as I've been playing around with the Chronos/Amazon textures and they, too, are very cramped. There's no room for text on them either. I'm going to remap both of them onto the same 512 x 2048 map so they both have room to breathe.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Boomz!
A Bosch beer freighter?