Author Topic: Low poly models with LODs  (Read 2300 times)

Low poly models with LODs
Would it be possible to remove the LODs from all the remaining Low-poly models, either by deleting them in the model or altering the "$Detail distance:" so that it is next to impossible that they'd be used in a mission?

Most of these ships (including the Demon) have as many LOD0 polies as many current INF ships have in LOD3, so there shouldn't be perfomance loss; and the LODs make them look even worse next to the HTLed ones.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Low poly models with LODs
Sure you can do that. Of course that's treating the symptoms and not the disease. If you're seeing LODs in a mission pop in and out, the detail distance is incorrect and/or the LOD is poorly made.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
The Mjolnir comes to mind. Its LOD distances are adapted from the smaller sentry guns like the Alastor, not something the size of a cruiser with rotating objects.
IMO this should be addressed with a modular table in the MediaVPs. Now if only I could dig up my SVN access credentials...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's already a modular table that deals with detail distance. It just needs to be edited.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I managed to find the issue that caused me to write the initial post, apparently I messed up some setting in my mod. :banghead:

Still, the Argo uses 29 tilemaps, most of them for LODs of a ship with 500 polies. Don't think it effects performance that much though...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
It blows my mind that the Argo hasn't been remade. Nyx, where are you?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Already tried to push him into a Demon ;), but he's a busy man... :(

Still I don't understand the issue that caused me to start this thread. The only distance related thing in the mod that I used (besides the MVPs) was supposed to be an not-used AI profile. I thought it was an FSO bug, but I couldn't replicate it anymore after it annoyed me for several days. :blah: Probably a broken script in my campaign might have been the cause.