Author Topic: engine MOD - free solarsystem travelling, planetary engine  (Read 11431 times)

Re: engine MOD - free solarsystem travelling, planetary engine

The terrain engine is taken nearly line for line form www.frustum.org. But it's not suitable I found it out.
But I won't continue to develop my engine if I manage to make the FS2 engine mod to work.
You're right. Normally this should be done in threads. By the way, the idea with generating models is interesting. I would like to use different routines for different object types. a voxel engine for asteroids from the guy (http://www.home.zonnet.nl/petervenis/index.htm). For big capital ships we can better take mount static chunks instead of compiling a BSP model. But there are other problems now :)

I have one question: How are you handling the license issues? FS2 isn't GPL, so even if the code you're using is GPL, you've still got a problem. Not to throw a spanner in the works, but someone might want to have a good long look at the licensing stuff...
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage

The terrain engine is taken nearly line for line form www.frustum.org. But it's not suitable I found it out.
But I won't continue to develop my engine if I manage to make the FS2 engine mod to work.
You're right. Normally this should be done in threads. By the way, the idea with generating models is interesting. I would like to use different routines for different object types. a voxel engine for asteroids from the guy (http://www.home.zonnet.nl/petervenis/index.htm). For big capital ships we can better take mount static chunks instead of compiling a BSP model. But there are other problems now :)

I have one question: How are you handling the license issues? FS2 isn't GPL, so even if the code you're using is GPL, you've still got a problem. Not to throw a spanner in the works, but someone might want to have a good long look at the licensing stuff...

Good thinking.

EDIT: Looks like it's GPL, everything else on the site is. Bummer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:58:00 am by Turey »
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
If it's LGPL we should still be ok using it I thought.  Not sure which it is though.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
If it's LGPL we should still be ok using it I thought.  Not sure which it is though.

Yes, LGPL is ok. No, it's not likely to be LGPL. Most people pick one License and stick with it, and at least one of the projects on that site says "GPL" not "LGPL".
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
How large is this program?  If its small enough, you could use the clean room approach that everyone and their brother used on PHOENIX to get their BIOS.  ;)

I've not said a word to import their terrain engine into FS2, so it's a "no" :)
There is no problem to write new routines for us. The current terrain engine is less than 800 lines. The frustum.org engine is good but not suitable.
All the other sources are 100% my own.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:13:58 am by razorjack »
My spacesim project blog:
http://simerge.wordpress.com/

Cool. I like this idea, it could offer new opportunities and not necessarily make the game un-FreeSpacey. If I knew how to program I'd have a go at trying to implement something like this.

make a freespace2 fork? or a new space game using scp fs2 engine plus new improvments
linux gamer

It depends from the SCP team. It would be good to join and integrate my proposed feature into FS2SCP.
Otherwise I will have to fork.

By the way I need regular tests (look at http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49809.0.html)
I began to modularize the engine and merge it with my sources at some places and there are possibly bugs inside.
Any help would be welcome.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There's no need to fork.  Forks are bad.  Forks are evil.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
just grab an up to date head build, add stuff to it, and then if it looks like its stable and doesnt break reverse compatibility, they might let you commit it. seems to be the usual procedure for adding features.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

The problem is that I can't grab the actual build because I've changed almost every file.