Author Topic: The Wiki situation  (Read 4256 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously, this is no longer funny. Can we please, please get any sort of update on this? It's been more than two months now, the wiki is still broken as hell, bots are registering all over the place and doing the spam thing... It's not pretty.

Goober, as I've said in the other thread, if you can't get this done, for the love of your god, TELL US! Don't let this lie.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 12:23:37 am by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Agreed, parts of the wiki are almost completely unusable atm
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Yes, currently i am using the Wiki mostly via the Waybackmachine (hard-light.net/wiki), because with this, it is still working and have all the Media (Pictures) available i am needing sometimes. :).

It is not a good situation at the moment.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I said it before: I don't have a lot of time but I could maybe try and help if Goober needs it.

Offline Axem

From my limited understandings of the issues, we need someone who is proficient in MediaWiki administration and other web back-end stuff.

If there's anyone who's got those chops, I can try to help coordinate to get you the access you need to fix stuff.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
The wiki used to be my go to place for modding help- I too, am very concerned. I know nothing about Mediawiki stuff tho.  :blah:

We should put out an APB outside of hardlight for someone who can help with this.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I don't have specific experience with MediaWiki, but I do have experience with Postgresql/Mysql & other wiki software plus the LAMP stack in general so am happy to try sorting this out. IIRC we need a restore from a backup taken during the cutover, does anyone know where that backup is?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'd be willing to help. I ported HLP's custom theme from the old MediaWiki version to the new one. I also missed a few things during that which I'd like to fix...  :nervous:  (Mostly different text colors in a few places to make the text more readable with the dark background).

Offline Axem

I'm going to see what I can do to get at least one of you the access you need. (Sadly I don't have that power...)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm back online and ready to tackle this.  I do apologize sincerely for the delay.

There are a number of issues that will need to be solved in order to get the wiki fully working.  (I know, because I solved all of them in a full week of concerted effort after the server move, only to have them all borked after the bad update. :sigh:)

I intend to simply perform a full backup, delete (or archive) the files, reinstall the wiki from scratch, and then restore the data.  Since the wiki edits are stored in the HLP database, I think the best option will be to delete all edits from all users that were registered after the date of the bad update.  Are there any users that were registered after that date that aren't spammers?

I will be on IRC and Discord, so I will be happy to work with Axem, ngld, niffiwan, and whoever else wants to help.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The spam should be cleaned up now.  I ended up nuking all new users, new pages, page edits, and other changes since the first spam user arrived on 2017-11-24.  I have backups, so if you need something subsequent to that, let me know.

Next step will be some additional testing and validation of the spam cleanup, and after that will be fixing the technical issues such as thumbnails.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
The spam should be cleaned up now.  I ended up nuking all new users, new pages, page edits, and other changes since the first spam user arrived on 2017-11-24.  I have backups, so if you need something subsequent to that, let me know.

Next step will be some additional testing and validation of the spam cleanup, and after that will be fixing the technical issues such as thumbnails.

Thank you so much! I wish I could hug you right now!
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks! :)

If you feel generous, we can always use server donations.  None of it goes to line the pockets of the admins; it all goes toward covering the costs of the servers and our hosting.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
None of it goes to line the pockets of the admins

Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well hey, if I choose to play the stock market with the HLP money, I don't see how that's any of your business as long as I put it back when I'm done. :nervous:

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Well hey, if I choose to play the stock market with the HLP money, I don't see how that's any of your business as long as I put it back when I'm done. :nervous:

*expects that any day now he'll get a newsalert that Goober entered a 1960-version of the Grand Prix de Monaco* :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Thanks to a collaborative effort between rev_posix, niffiwan, and myself, thumbnails should now be working.  We'll be doing some extra checks to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Awesome, that's great news!

Thank you  :nod: