Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675657 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: A celebration of Freespace
I've toyed with attempting to contribute something of (minimal) worth to this community by trying to start up a Descent mod, since a few other people have made overtures at it in the past.  Descent was always much more of a multiplayer-centered community anyway, so the AI issues wouldn't be a problem if a mod took that route.  I did get as far as tabling the imported Pyro-GL model to something resembling its D3 mechanics; maybe I should try taking another crack at it.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So, I've been testing out something a little more unusual for FSO. Interior levels, and here's my little Proof of concept of being able to go from UnrealEd to FSO. I'm well aware of what Twisted Infinities is doing, but it won't hurt if I join in. :P

That was actually my question for a very long time
"Why hasn't anyone done any sort of interior levels?"
Afterall, we did fly into a space station in ST:R to prevent someone destroying the core, I'd of liked to see more of that in a far more complicated manner
This certainly does that
"No"

Offline starlord

Mongoose. Out of curiosity, would you consider to model the expediator?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Haaaa...you're assuming I have any modeling abilities. :lol:

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Mongoose. Out of curiosity, would you consider to model the expediator?

I could do that for you
It won't work in FSO since nothing I ever try to get to work in there does, but I can model it for you
"No"

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
For the heck of god, I love broadside engagements.

Beam'd up Solaris vs big stuff.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:35:38 am by Deadly in a Shadow »
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've toyed with attempting to contribute something of (minimal) worth to this community by trying to start up a Descent mod, since a few other people have made overtures at it in the past.  Descent was always much more of a multiplayer-centered community anyway, so the AI issues wouldn't be a problem if a mod took that route.  I did get as far as tabling the imported Pyro-GL model to something resembling its D3 mechanics; maybe I should try taking another crack at it.

The fact that you can't respawn inside an object would have ****ed you over last time most likely. Now you can just use SEXPs to move anything outside the object inside it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
where can i get those shockwaves?   :eek2:
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Deadly in a Shadow

• Buntu!
"Ka-BOOOOOOOOM!!!!"
"Uh, Sir we can hear the explosion."
"No you can't, there is no air in space. Sound can't travel through a vacuum!"

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Solaris using BEAMS? WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY? :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
****ing awesome blasphemy

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something

The fact that you can't respawn inside an object would have ****ed you over last time most likely. Now you can just use SEXPs to move anything outside the object inside it.
Heh, glad I never got that far before.  That's good to know.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
(Probably stupid) question:  How does Descent's AI handle working inside the mines?  Descent and FreeSpace share some (quite a bit maybe?) of code, and Descent 1 and II are now Open Source IIRC, can't you make an AI profile to emulate Descent robots' ability to handle this?

If not, what am I missing?

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
(Probably stupid) question:  How does Descent's AI handle working inside the mines?  Descent and FreeSpace share some (quite a bit maybe?) of code, and Descent 1 and II are now Open Source IIRC, can't you make an AI profile to emulate Descent robots' ability to handle this?

If not, what am I missing?

not sure about how much code the games share but I believe decent uses subtractive level creation, i.e. removes from the "solid mass" that the level uses by default to create player passable regions, FS I believe is additive levels i.e. it adds obstacles to a open by default space which makes for significant differences in how you handle things like collision avoidance
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
indeed -- my impression is that empty inner space can't really exist in freespace because even if there's a hole in the model it's contained within the bounding box that the AI looks at

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
not sure about how much code the games share but I believe decent uses subtractive level creation, i.e. removes from the "solid mass" that the level uses by default to create player passable regions, FS I believe is additive levels i.e. it adds obstacles to a open by default space which makes for significant differences in how you handle things like collision avoidance

So, would it be possible to make models (perhaps only capship or supercapship models if it's resource intensive) into solid mass and use the subtractive method within them?  Don't know if that's possible, feasible, or even desireable, but it's an idea.  Coding-wise, how much of a nightmare would that be?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

So, would it be possible to make models (perhaps only capship or supercapship models if it's resource intensive) into solid mass and use the subtractive method within them?  Don't know if that's possible, feasible, or even desireable, but it's an idea.  Coding-wise, how much of a nightmare would that be?

read what i said

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
what about them anti-bounding boxes? XD
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
yeah you'd have to teach the AI to look beyond 'help i'm inside a bounding box' *flip a *****

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

basically in FS the game makes the blanket assumption that all space in the level is passable unless an object exists in that space because that was the most efficient way to handle the level space.  When the game was developed there were very few situations where an object is surrounded on more than 2 sides due to hardware limitations of the era so the AI was never programmed to deal with internal spaces, lests face it if anyone told the devs the game engine would still be in use over a decade after launch you would have been laughed out of the building.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art