Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675280 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Maybe look into full screen super sampling? I do realize with the new shadow and deferred lighting code that FSO is getting pretty taxing on the GPU, so this might not be possible.
Problem is that typical super sampling anti-aliasing methods do not work with deferred shading, rendering or whatever you want to call it. You're in most cases restricted to anti-aliasing done with shaders. Especially if you want something that works with both NVIDIA and AMD hardware, and preferably with Intel too when they actually get something decent out.

But it's not like some clever people other than NVIDIA and AMD engineers haven't come up with solutions. As evidenced by http://jcgt.org/published/0002/01/01/

Offline Kolgena

My understanding of "hacked' full screen supersampling is basically rendering something at 7680x4800, then scale it down to 1920x1200. Nothing about deferred shading precludes doing this, aside from hilariously prohibitive performance costs (Witcher 2 ubersampling anyone?)

Here's an old thread detailing what I'm talking about.
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=366244
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:34:23 am by Kolgena »

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
It's called Downsampling. I use this in several games and as well in FSO. I don't notice any lost regarding post process and whatever graphical features.
However in FSO, when I try to take a screenshot, the game simply crash. :(

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Maybe look into full screen super sampling? I do realize with the new shadow and deferred lighting code that FSO is getting pretty taxing on the GPU, so this might not be possible.
Problem is that typical super sampling anti-aliasing methods do not work with deferred shading, rendering or whatever you want to call it. You're in most cases restricted to anti-aliasing done with shaders. Especially if you want something that works with both NVIDIA and AMD hardware, and preferably with Intel too when they actually get something decent out.

But it's not like some clever people other than NVIDIA and AMD engineers haven't come up with solutions. As evidenced by http://jcgt.org/published/0002/01/01/

Actually, supersampling is the only AA technique that will always work. Reason being that it is the simplest, most brute-force method available.

By that same token, however, SSAA is also the most inefficient technique, as it requires an enormous amount of memory bandwidth (especially in a deferred render setup). What you meant was Multisample AA (MSAA), which is an optimization of SSAA that does not require oversized render targets and downsampling to work (since it works by taking several samples for each pixel and averaging the result).

In essence, SSAA is easy to implement, but really really inefficient. My preferred solution would be something like 1.5x or 1.7x supersampling combined with an FXAA pass, this allows us to better capture stuff that is otherwise only a subpixel artefact that gets murdered by FXAA, or a solution similar to nvidia's proprietary TXAA. The latter is a variant of FXAA that takes into account temporal data (i.e. data from several preceding frames) in order to get subpixel detail right.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You're right, I had my terms mixed up. However, don't dismiss SMAA so quickly.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/03/12/crysis_3_video_card_performance_iq_review/8

Offline Kolgena

I don't think we are. SMAA will probably do a better job than our FXAA implementation for beams and missile trails. However, it's probably one of those cases where the feature is nice to have, but nobody is available to make it happen.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
For those who are scratching their heads as to what Kobrar's picture entails, it's something he's working on.

Its here. Well, almost. Gotta work out those issues.
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
wow, loving the cell effect guys
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mpez

Reminds me of the old cell shaded FSU texture packs (do we still have those?)

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.

Not enough nebula.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Firstdragon34

• Bowties = Awesomeness
Nice! That is an awesome nebula if you ask me.

PS: The ships are cool as well ;)
A small voice in my head tells me they are have followed us here in the Milky Way. They follow us until we are dead at their feet. We are nomands of the stars, no longer the race that was loved by the Great Elders. My name is Kyral and this is my story of survival.

There is no sanctuary for us, in this Universe. We will fight the Terror for one last time on this Shining World. May the Transcendent judge us kindly in the Life Stream.

Offline Axem

A two part WIP, right now the two halves of the effect don't work well. I'm hoping to find a way to make them play nice, but for now, enjoy these two videos!

Offline CKid

OH... My... GOD... That second video blew my mind!
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
wow, scary **** are those shivans doing.
el hombre vicio...

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event

If you can get it to work as it is, it would be excellent. If you can add the lightning along the arms as the arms move and the 'greeny-thingy' forms, it would be perfect.

After that it's just a matter of refining the animation so that the swap between stationary arms and moving arms is less notable... and of turning off the arm engines. :p

You most continue your work, Lord Axem.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:00:09 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
It would be awesome if you could combine the ripple effect from the frame-buffer shockwave/engine exhaust ripple effect.  Also, I think that the arm movement is a bit too quick.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Axem

Yeah, I still have a ton of refining to do. Its just after spending the day working on the effect scripting, and then chopping apart the Sath so the arms move correctly, my opinion of the arm movement was "this is close enough!"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
If you didn't have the ending cutscene score playing in your mind while watching those, you're a liar.

Offline Kie99

I've been waiting for someone to do that for about 14 years.  Great work.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"