Author Topic: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I  (Read 204873 times)

Re: RELEASE: The Scroll of Atankharzim, Part I
I just hope there aren't as many scanning missions in part 2, or that they are at least easier and don't take place in nebulas

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just hope there aren't as many scanning missions in part 2, or that they are at least easier and don't take place in nebulas

:warp:

Well, uh... it should be easier, anyway...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I uploaded version 1.8.1 to both Knossos and FSO Installer.  This adds some maps that were removed in the latest MVPs, fixes the issue Trivial Psychic reported with the Lucifer's Cloak mission, fixes the Knossos rotation due to recent FSO changes, and makes a few other minor mission tweaks.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Version 1.8.2 is uploaded with the mission fixes described in this thread.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Version 1.8.3 has the following fixes:

• guardian Alpha 2 in The High Seas during his conversation
  • restore FSO 3.7.4 compatibility due to a scripting function that is unused in Part 1 but will be used in Part 2
  • fix the SEXP help on the shipsave script
  • change all the planet briefing icons to use the GTNB Pharos (to avoid custom ship icons replacing the planet icon)
  • fix the player's warpout sound in Through the Looking Glass
  • adjust freighter waypoint paths in Cloak and Dagger to reduce the risk of the freighters overshooting them

goober if theres news tell me

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The recent Scroll releases have all been patches.  If we have something bigger to show, I will let you know. :yes:

(Did you see the Part II Mystery Pic?)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
There are certain missions where you can only rearm once; even if you issue a direct order to support to rearm, you'll be ignored. You can observe this easily in Live Trapping and Irkalla Passes. This might be for storyline reasons, but there's a difference between "we can only deploy so many support ships" and "support will refuse to resupply you."
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
That shouldn't be happening.  The support restriction in Live Trapping shouldn't restrict you to only one support ship.  And there are no support ship restrictions in Irkalla Passes whatsoever.

Offline Antares

I did some testing to try and narrow this down. I was mistaken; it's not that you can only rearm once, it's that after a certain point in the mission, support stops responding to rearm requests. (You can still order support to depart.)

This is hard to pin down in Live Trapping, but it seems to happen late in the mission, around the time Kidnapper captures its third bomber. In Irkalla Passes, however, it can reliably be reproduced after the Lamarask is destroyed.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I stand corrected; there are support ship restrictions in Irkalla Passes.  Not sure why my search didn't pick it up before.

What happens is that support arrives from the Lamarask's hangar bay, so after it is destroyed there are no more support ships to send.  However, that shouldn't prevent a support ship from docking if it's already in the mission.  I'll have to work on that.

Offline Antares

In Live Trapping, support stops responding as soon as the Ishara jumps in.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Excellent detective work. :yes:  Live Trapping and Irkalla Passes are the only two missions where this bug could occur.  I've released a new version with a fix.

Offline Antares

- If you play Masks and then load up another mission, the default weapon selection in your briefing loadout will be the Shivan Advanced Laser.  :eek:

- This may be a bug or a feature, but you can issue orders to the Halifax during Irkalla Passes. This makes the mission a great deal more fun to play, as the Halifax is essentially a controllable beam weapon, but it also breaks some of the event sequencing; the Halifax's default waypoints lead it to a position near the Himnoltep, which both triggers some dialogue and the deployment of Pisces wing (Taurvi bombers). If you order the Halifax around, it won't get close enough to the Himnoltep for these triggers to fire until the end of the mission (meaning the dialogue will make less sense and you'll get an objective to intercept Pisces that can't be completed, since they were never deployed). This also means that the Kullab won't use its beam weapon against the Halifax if it deviates from its default flight path; the Kullab apparently has a very narrow field of fire and won't shoot at the Halifax even if the corvette attacks it head-on.

EDIT: In the same mission, the Irkalla will occasionally deploy "dead" Astaroth fighters in Aquarius wing. They kill their engines as soon as they leave the fighterbay and just sit around waiting to be shot at. This doesn't happen all the time and I have no idea what triggers it; maybe certain Shivan cruisers being destroyed?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 12:30:11 pm by Antares »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
1) Odd.  I didn't notice this in the campaign.  Did you play the mission in the tech room?

2) I'll remove the orders from the Halifax.

3) Not sure what could be causing this.  There aren't any ai orders being issued to that wing.

Offline Antares

1) Odd.  I didn't notice this in the campaign.  Did you play the mission in the tech room?

Yes. Note that you can't actually select the laser, as it's not really in your inventory; the weapon data is just left over from being loaded in Masks.

Offline Antares

Borked Terran speech file: "Hull integrity failing! Get me out outta here, Command!"

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a model issue or a weapon issue, but I'm running into instances of Stiletto IIs impacting enemy ships without causing subsystem damage. This is relatively easy to reproduce in Masks when trying to disable the Enki's engines, but it doesn't happen consistently and I think it might be based on the angle at which the missiles strike the ship. I know Stilettos can be shot down, but is it possible to have duds?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:59:16 am by Antares »

Borked Terran speech file: "Hull integrity failing! Get me out outta here, Command!"

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is a model issue or a weapon issue, but I'm running into instances of Stiletto IIs impacting enemy ships without causing subsystem damage. This is relatively easy to reproduce in Masks when trying to disable the Enki's engines, but it doesn't happen consistently and I think it might be based on the angle at which the missiles strike the ship. I know Stilettos can be shot down, but is it possible to have duds?

From my experience using stilettos, I think it is a model issue.  Some ships have subsystems that are really hard to damage with stilletos.  IN the case of engines, Orion and Demon Class destroyers are the worst offenders

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Weapons like that would have better effectiveness if they had a shock-wave associated with them, but then there'd be the risk of getting your subsystems fried by your own bomb if you fire from too close or it gets shot down near you.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Stilettos are honestly much better for taking out a ship's weapons rather than its subsystems.