FreeSpace Releases > Mission & Campaign Releases

[Release] Walking On Ashes (mini-campaign)

(1/5) > >>

0rph3u5:
Alright, alright, alright. *slaps hands togehter* It's been a while  :D

Having plundered an ancient battlefield in the Nebula, the GVD Meretseger races to back to the safety of the allied lines. However the with the first ships of the Sathanas Armada ahead of them and the Ravana-class SD Malevolence behind them, the pilots and crew of the Meretseger will have to do their best. For the information they gathered is something the Shivans are quite unwilling to surrender...

Walking on Ashes started out as the three-mission-finale to the Jarin/Jaarin-storyline for the original The Lost Generation; Much has happened in terms of development history, most notable the split of The Lost Generation into two campaigns, Ashcorft and Jaarin, and most recently the complete re-working of the Jaarin-storyline.

Said re-working means that I can no longer re-use these missions but that is no reason to let them go to waste. And here they are re-titled and renovated.
(As part of the renovation the missions received new dialogue which was written as an adaptation of the characters from the new The Lost Generation - Jaarin, but should not be taken as in-continuity or final.)

A word of warning, before you play:
These mission are a marathon with only a single option in the beginning to pick your loadout. They are made to be a challenge -  after all, in the final missions of a campaign you should not expect any mercy. Take advantage of the option to go back a mission or even to restart the campaign fully if think that you need to improve the outcome from mission to mission.

Side Bar with regards to Accessibility:
The mod enforces my preference for smaller HUD elements. If you require the larger HUD elements for any reason, please make it known to me and I will strive to provide a patch as quickly as possible.

DOWNLOADS:

Knossos:

Manual Installation:
The manual installation package does not provide a FS_Open build version 3.8.1 or newer, which is required for some functions to work (error-free). During the final tests, the Nightly released on January 2nd was used and is therefor recommened (Link). Additionally, you will have check the list of dependencies in the mod.ini ("secondrylist =") to match your installation.
via ModDB

Credits:
- Mission Design & Story: Jan ''0rph3u5'' Dombert
- Story Editor: Iain ''Nomad'' Baker
- Scripts: ''Axem''
- "FuryAI": "Sushi"
- GVF Heset: "Aldo", with textures by "FreeSpaceKing"
- GVD Tyhon (HTL)/GVD Meretseger: "RagingLoli", with textures by "Galemp"
- GTF Myrmidon (MediaVPs)/GVF Myrmidon: unknown (Sorry!)
- SF Incubus/SF Tarasque: "Bobboau" and "Rampage"
- Fresspace 2: :v:

Special thanks to "Trashman" (who made the Typhon-model that was the first version of the Meretseger) and "Spoon" (for some of the motivation in the week up to release). And of course to all you wonderful people who run and frequent HLP!

ps. Apologies to Iain has I had to sneak a few additional lines into the missions between your last submission of feedback and the release.

Disclaimer: The following screenshots were made during early testing and may represent an unrealistic state of progression.

Hidden Text: Tipps for improving your odds: • Show- The GVF Heset is capable of directional, i.e. up-down-left-right, thrust of up to 7 m/s (up-down) and 12 m/s (left-right) . That doesn't sound like much but is more effective the further away you are from a target. At close quarters it can also slightly shift the centre of turn, giving you the effect of a wider or tighter turn.

- The Heset's first primary bank is suspiciously optimized for a Maxim.

- All enemy bombers will be grouped under F6, all enemy fighters under F7. Use this to improve your awareness of the battlefield when needed.

- The Meretseger is more capable than your average Typhon, and can project quite a lot of Flak around its command tower. This a good spot to re-arm.

- Support Ships launch from the Meretseger but can depart via subspace at any time. It might be favourable to just order a Support to depart and then call in a new one to avoid long waits.

Hidden Text: Known Issues: • Show- The Meretseger is able to fire some turrets with no regard to its own model; this slightly speeds up the events of Mission 2 and allows for a slightly more favourable outcome. Considering the overall difficulty, I decided to leave it for the time being.

- The data for the ships in Rho, Tau & Sigma wing doesn't correctly carry over into Mission 3. They will either not appear or launch from the Meretseger at 100%. Reason: Red Alert Carry Status does not apply to the second wave of a wing.

- The Meretseger's glow map looks off in places. It will be addressed at the same time as the issue above.

- Likewise, the shine map for the GVF Myrmidon is not up to standard.

- The floating debris of the Knossos Portal in Mission 1 are more plentiful than they need be.

- All Stilletto IIs fired by Omicron wing travel at 1500+ m/s after launch. Reason unknown.

Sorry for all those, but if you do all your testing yourself, you have to cut some corners. :sigh:

Hidden Text: Old Continuity Fragments • Show- The SD/SSD Aamon is the same that appears in the prologue/demo to the now cancelled Workings of the Warp (Wiki-page); it is later destroyed in Capella after its shields were disabled using a Shivan device that manipulated local subspace.

- "The Codex" was meant to be part of the programming required to make the ETAK technology function as intended. Its recovery was part of an effort by the GTVA to build its own version of the ETAK, prior to the acquisition of the original from the Iceni.

- In Workings of the Warp it was going to be mentioned that the misinformation that lead to the GTVA expedition "awakening" the Aamon was actually a decoy made by a defector who helped Bosch steal part of the GTVA's original research materials on the Shivans. The series of events would not have been planned to happen when the files were stolen, what happed was the result of that GTVA researchers failing to identify the forgeries that were left in place of the original material as such.

- The purpose of the "Inner Sanctum" aboard the Aamon would have been revealed. It would have been mentioned that like on the Aamon, the Sanctum aboard the original Lucifer it would have been "unoccupied for too long" and that it is a flawed design from a time "when to the Shivans the galaxy was a larger place". (Through all its development, working through what the idea of original Intent/purpose of a tool/technology meant was one of the closest thing Workings of the Warp had to a thematic underpinning.)

- Commodore/Admiral Phuun would have returned in Workings of the Warp as commander of the Vasudan contingent and possible antagonist during the finale of the story. The events of the original The Lost Generation would have been the key to understanding her position and possibly avoid conflict.

- The Meretseger's pilots would returned in Workings of the Warp as wingmen and possible enemy ace pilots in the finale of the story.

- Vice Admiral/Admiral Richter would have returned in Workings of the Warp as commander of a joint SOC-affiliated detachment, he would have been an antagonist in all but one version the story's finale. The GTCv Noir would still have been his flagship.

--- Code: ---$Created: 02/20/09 at 15:14:46
$Modified: 01/04/19 at 14:31:34
--- End code ---

... missed the ten year mark by 44 days appearenlty. Where did the time go...

HLD_Prophecy:
Cool nice work! I want to play this if I can. I especially like the second to last screenshot, it gets the mood going. I always felt something ominous, brooding, deep and dark about the Demon - the way it sort of hangs like a stony presence and floats slowly through space. Highlighted by the sun it's even more striking.  :D

Colonol Dekker:
Congrats on the release.   It reads like a golden age (derelict etc) campaign :nod:.   I look forward to getting a chance to play.  :yes:

CT27:
I tried to activate it and got this error:

Could not find index 'LuaSEXPs' in type 'Mission'

------------------------------------------------------------------
ADE Debug:

stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [string "markbox-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:283: in main chunk

1: Userdata [Mission]
2: String [LuaSEXPs]

0rph3u5:

--- Quote from: CT27 on January 04, 2019, 03:25:00 pm ---I tried to activate it and got this error*snip*

--- End quote ---

Knossos or Manual?

If Knossos please check which build you are launching (under FSO Setting, either via the Mod itself or your global settings), this error is associated with Axem's Mark Box-Script, which requires a 3.8.1 build to run.

If Manual, same applies - there is a link for build I used in testing this week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version