Author Topic: Gender blindness  (Read 18829 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think it's PC if we argue about whether we should use 'sir' and 'ma'am' or just 'sir'.

I'm offended by your username. You might as well be called 'Indian killer'!

Maybe he's a Russian sniper.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
You do realize you're arguing about a culture that developed on another planet?  There could be any number of reasons why all officers are Sir, last time i checked we aren't exactly privy to the entire history of the colonies and the etymology of their language.  Who's to say when they were going through their feudal period their knights weren't made up of both genders and thus both were referred to as Sir? 

Arguments based on earth honorifics are moot
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:14:49 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Seems to be a contradiction here, seems like you're ignoring the fact that apparently some real militaries are shifting this way:
Well like everything in the military we hear about, the pencil-pushers have to umm and ahh about it and then the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' argument comes up and I wouldn't be surprised if this comes up in conversation five years later and it's still 'there's discussion in the navy about it!' I highly doubt anything will change until the rest of society starts to call men and women sir.

By the way NGTM-1R, which organisations actually make it the Officer in question's choice? I'm genuinely curious. I've never heard of any female officers kicking up a stink over being called ma'am.
I think it's ridiculously politically correct to use 'ma'am' and 'sir' separately, as clearly that represents an absurd level of concern with not offending women.
I can see where you're coming from, but it's not a view that I hold. Sir/Ma'am was like Mr/Mrs to us. And let me tell you, Ma'am has no feminine or weak traits associated with it when the Squadron's OC is a female. :P

I think it's PC if we argue about whether we should use 'sir' and 'ma'am' or just 'sir'.
I tend to agree actually, until a female officer in the ADF walks in one day and says she thinks being called ma'am is a massive blow to women, I won't bat an eyelid. As far as I'm concerned, calling a female officer ma'am is tradition and should stay that way until one of them decides it isn't okay.

There are far more important things to worry about in the military than which word you'd like to use to address your officers. If they took submissions for the next title, I'm sure at least a 1/3 would submit 'Lazy C*nt', but that's an entirely different story.  :D

Offline newman

What Slayer said. Jeez, you guys are capable of producing pages and pages of debate on the most irrelevant subjects possible. This is page 4 of a discussion on whether women in a non existent, made up sci-fi military should be referred to as "sir". Don't you people have like, jobs/homework to do? :P
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I was moving on from that in a more 'why should we bother changing years of military tradition in our world?' direction. I couldn't care less about BSG (a series I haven't seen much of). :P

Offline newman

I couldn't care less about BSG (a series I haven't seen much of). :P

You're not helping your case with this blasphemy. Burn him!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Uh oh.

:eek2:

I think I missed a +'s use of sir/ma'am somewhere in that sentence.

* Dilmah G runs before the Diaspora Team crucify him to Gaius Baltar's mystical deity.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:37:37 am by Dilmah G »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm watching the episode where Pegasus turns up during some downtime from family strife, all I have to say is. . . . I WANT TO MARRY ADMIRAL CAIN. <3
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
What Slayer said. Jeez, you guys are capable of producing pages and pages of debate on the most irrelevant subjects possible. This is page 4 of a discussion on whether women in a non existent, made up sci-fi military should be referred to as "sir". Don't you people have like, jobs/homework to do? :P

I miss the physics debates :(

Or maybe not really.

Offline CooperHawkes

• NippleNeck (at least i got something to play with)
I'm watching the episode where Pegasus turns up during some downtime from family strife, all I have to say is. . . . I WANT TO MARRY ADMIRAL CAIN. <3

Wow. Be prepared for a marriage full of joy and fun. If you've got a glutton for punishment. No matter if she wants it or not, no matter if military manners dictate it or not: i would call her "SIR!" always. In caps. With exclamatian mark. Font size 32 (the average "spoken" font size is 12).

I miss the physics debates :(
Me, too. But as long as we don't have those, we have to go with debates about "gender blindness". Carry on, guys. I want to see this thread reach at least page 10. Without derailing into a degenerated pointless mess.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 04:35:52 pm by CooperHawkes »
take me out to the black,
tell 'em i ain't coming back,
i don't care, i'm still free,
you can't take the sky from me

Offline newman

Wow. Be prepared for a marriage full of joy and fun. If you've got a glutton for punishment. No matter if she wants it or, no matter if military manners dictate it or not: i would call her "SIR!" always. In caps. With exclamatian mark. Font size 32 (the average "spoken" font size is 12).

I'm going to quote Jack here..

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all, I say, because this is true - if you haven't gotten a bj from a superior officer, well, you're just letting the best in life pass you by.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd still call her Ma'am, but i'd always be saluting:wakka:

Anyway, i've acquired Razor, and a working my way towards season 3. Razors after 3 right?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline newman

Yep, it came out as season 4 episode 0 - essentially to be watched between seasons 3 and 4. As far as bsg specials go, razor's a pretty good one.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Chronologically, Razor takes place between Episodes 17 and 18 of Season 2.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

True. It kinda jumps around, chronologically. I just can't remember if it contains any spoilers for pre-season 4 stuff so it's probably safest to watch in the order of release - that is between seasons 3 and 4.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't think there's any spoilerage for later seasons. The story is framed around what Lee does between 17 and 18, and is mostly flashbacks.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline MR_T3D

• Personal Text
I definitely think that this debate should be pilot chatter for the start of mission.

Offline Snagger

By the way NGTM-1R, which organisations actually make it the Officer in question's choice? I'm genuinely curious. I've never heard of any female officers kicking up a stink over being called ma'am.

Nor have I, but I've seen plenty of women get very upset about being confused for a man!

I definitely think that this debate should be pilot chatter for the start of mission.

Haha that's a beautiful idea =D