Author Topic: BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art  (Read 27305 times)

BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art
This is interesting. Some concept art for B and C has been posted up on Blastr. The Cylon robot snake reminds me of a mechanical version of the worms from Dune. And the new Cylon model looks somewhat like a missing link between the old Centurions and the modern ones. I just hope they still have the old Centurions and this isnt another redesign of the Cylons.

http://blastr.com/2010/12/-concept-art-from-battles1s.php

Re: BSG:Blood and Chrome concept art
I'm not feeling this art at all. It's like they're saying, "Hey, let's reboot the reboot!" That "Cython" is just hokey, and the fourth image, which I imagine is some version of a Centurion, looks nothing like the Centurions we already saw in Razor (which has scenes that would chronologically take place after B&C). The only thing I'm liking is the retro Raptor; the design seems sort of '50s to me, which I actually like, especially because it's not a huge leap from the "modern" Raptor.

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Yeah I'm not feeling any of that. It's like they've asked some guy who's never seen the show to do concept art. I'll have to put a little bit of faith in the *actual* 3d designers to make it not suck.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Yeah the Cython is bit of an over kill. And I pray that they keep the old centurions from Razor. Mabey that one will be a worker model and not a centurion?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I dunno, the Centurions from Razor were basically the ones from TOS but 3D, not to mention they're seriously ass ugly, I think I prefer that fourth image to them. :nervous:

EDIT: And is it just me or does that second image look sorta like an Asari from Mass Effect but robotic?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'm not feeling it.  I personally would prefer serious military take on it, RDM BSG was at its best when it was a carrier in space.  Colonials with Leopard/Challenger 2 esq MBTs and LAVs vs a similar conventional Cylon Forces in broken urban/industrial landscapes would be what I'd like to see, not Cylon Shai-Hulud. 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Snagger

I dunno, the Centurions from Razor were basically the ones from TOS but 3D, not to mention they're seriously ass ugly, I think I prefer that fourth image to them. :nervous:

EDIT: And is it just me or does that second image look sorta like an Asari from Mass Effect but robotic?
Those Centurions are canon, like them or not - regardless of their TOS originis, they are the original Centurions as established in "Caprica" and seen in "Razor" and "Daybreak".  They're even in the painting in Adama's quarters on the Galactica.  The new design in that fourth photo could be for some other function, as speculated already, or could be a second generation Centurion, with the tall models we saw in the majority of the new BSG being a third or later generation.  As long as B&C doesn't use that design as the predominant Centurion model of the war, then continuity might not be harmed.

The Raptor image is interesting - to the BSG modern Raptors  as the Viper MkII is to the MkVII.  It looks a lot like it's flying through a Battlestar flight pod, the shape of which resembles more the Mercury Class' than the older ships, but being mere concept art, I suppose that's incidental and not necessarily a plot line either.

Like StarSlayer, I'd be keen to see some planetary warfare, not just the fleets and fighter slugging it out in space - we know there were land battles, so I hope to see some.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Well, those are only concepts, which for every production are made and usually are... well... interresting.
Having BSG/ Razor already show FCW Centurions and Ships, which we all are thankfull for, i doubt that someone would be so stupid to implement Cylon snake-worms and Centurion-Skinjob hybrids with boobs.

That being said, i hope they not attempting to "awesome-ify" the BSG universe, 'cause that never ever worked out.
See Star Wars, see Star Trek and every other universe.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I hope they retcon the original Centurions and Raiders out completely and go with new designs. I like the killer gynoid in that concept art, as well as the centurion design.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I hope they retcon the original Centurions and Raiders out completely and go with new designs. I like the killer gynoid in that concept art, as well as the centurion design.

well, that Centurion concept, might work as work drone. You know, that sort of thing that was produced as prototype for a non-combat type. And then the war started and it was scrapped, and we see only the canon centurions. <--the bad ass ones.
The Centurion-Skonjob hybrid contradicts BSG canon.

Offline Hades

Definitely agreed.

And then the war started and it was scrapped, and we see only the canon centurions. <--the bad ass ones.
They're not really all that badass, they look like they were hastily-made, cheap costumes

Or are you talking about the re-imagined ones?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
:blah:

With some tweaks to the design to make it more robust/machine like and especially a T-600 esq blackened worn carapace look the traditional Centurion could look pretty badass.  I think they should stay the hell away from humanoid Cylons since it completely screws main series plot. I'd much prefer a more ground war centric show looking at the psychology of fighting an attrition war against an ruthless mechanical foe.  Especially if they could work in some of the social elements raised in World War Z like the "Redeker Plan."

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm not big on the classic centurions, they've always looked kinda goofy to me. We know the Cylons were working on skinjobs even before the 5 arrived, they just never quite got things right - I'm cool with some semiskinjob stuff.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
And then the war started and it was scrapped, and we see only the canon centurions. <--the bad ass ones.
They're not really all that badass, they look like they were hastily-made, cheap costumes

Or are you talking about the re-imagined ones?

the re-imaginated Centurions from BSG.

Yeah, that's the point - they never achieved something, apart from the Hybrids, as seen in Razor. And that was a evolutionary dead end.
Re-imaging the re-imaginated stuff is bad, it contradicts all we've seen in BSG.

Slayer should send them concepts.

How come there is so much hate for the original tos centurions? They were awesome. And like has just been said they are canon to BSG. But yeah although space battles are great ground battles could be epic in scale. Imagine it. Old school centurions storming a castle like in that painting with swords.

Offline Hades

Yeah, that's the point - they never achieved something, apart from the Hybrids, as seen in Razor. And that was a evolutionary dead end.
Re-imaging the re-imaginated stuff is bad, it contradicts all we've seen in BSG.

That fourth picture of the cylon isn't meant to replace the new, re-imagined cylon, it's to replace the old, ugly, goofy looking TOS Cylon.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel

That fourth picture of the cylon isn't meant to replace the new, re-imagined cylon, it's to replace the old, ugly, goofy looking TOS Cylon.

I'm not talking about the "new" re-imaginated Cylons, i'm talking about the TOS re-imaginated Cylons from Razor.

Offline Hades

They're not re-imagined considering they look exactly the same as the TOS Cylons, same as the old Hades-class battlestar and the old flying wing cylon raider.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline newman

You kids have no appreciation for classic sci fi :) Personally I want to see the razor style classic centurions in there, as well as the razor style flying wing raiders (which looked a lot better than the original 70's design). Doesn't mean there's no room for new designs - as long as it's not a damn mechanical anaconda, that'd be just silly.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
They're not re-imagined considering they look exactly the same as the TOS Cylons, same as the old Hades-class battlestar and the old flying wing cylon raider.

No, they don't look exactly the same. I don't mind new stuff, as long it predates the stuff we've seen in Razor ( remember it was the end of the War!)
and doesn't introduce ridiculous designs.

This is the only acceptable Cylon evolution:

:P