Author Topic: NBC Universal: ULTRA DIQUES  (Read 18266 times)

Offline newman

Re: NBC Universal: ULTRA DIQUES
It would help us a lot, artee, we'd be grateful for exactly that!
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep, that's exactly what I meant. If she needs any information about where BtRL/Diaspora has been featured tell her to not hesitate to contact us.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, crap.

Is the text of the law firm's comminuqué available anywhere?  Part of me wonders whether this was caused by a hotshot lawyer trying to make a name for himself, and acting on his own initiative rather than any orders from above.  The timing doesn't seem related to any particular event that would have triggered sudden attention from NBC, and the phrase "we were advised to pull all other BSG content" strikes me as suspiciously open-ended.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually it happened less than a week after Kotaku featured the Nexus mod (the ones who the C&D was actually aimed at).

The request appears to have come from a law firm representing NBCU rather than NBCU itself so the hotshot theory is possible.

Offline newman

Ace&Hall Legal Services Ltd.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Ace&Hall Legal Services Ltd.
More like Ass & Hole Unlimited

Offline newman

That's pretty much what I meant.. I have no idea what the company is really called :P

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
In that case I will buy a vowel.  Probably should not be posting on this amount of sleep.

p.s.-- go diaspora!  You show those corporofascists how a real game is made
p.p.s.-- the secret is more dakka

More dakka?  Usually more dakka is the best thing ever, but right now Diaspora is threatening to break FreeSpace Open with all the dakka it adds.  The only solution is for Valathil and Swifty to modify FSO to accept more dakka.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
More dakka?  Usually more dakka is the best thing ever, but right now Diaspora is threatening to break FreeSpace Open with all the dakka it adds.  The only solution is for Valathil and Swifty to modify FSO to accept more dakka.

You don't know how unfortunately true this is. :( The number of weapon particles seriously strains the object limits.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The one already bumped, or a different one?
Anyway, I'd welcome any increase in limits (since I'm a fan of more dakka too).

Offline arrtee

Kara, newman, I want this mod to get off the ground as much as you do, therefore I'll do whatever the hell I can to help. Please send me a PM with YOUR description/intentions with the mod, and how this is NON-PROFIT/FREE and I'll go from there. I'll have information for you as she gives it to me.

Thanks guys! Trying to get you answers ASAP

of this one i know, it is not quite active, but it exists and is quite advanced. somehow they overlooked it.
"Nulla est igitur haec amicitia, cum alter verum audire non vult, alter ad mentiendum paratus est."
- M. T. Cicero

Offline starlord

this borders on outrageous, if not downright ridiculous!

I'm sorry to say so (well actually, not that much), but diaspora and BTRL are amongst the best things that ever did happen to BSG fan communities, given the fact that current trends seem to overlook the potential an official BSG space sim would have (and not that isometric shooter crap).

now would be the time for some people to add two and two...

Anyhow, I think this fabulous community of which I am proud to now be a member deserves unlimited amounts of thanks (possibly veneration/adulation) for taking space sim in general (BSG included) to the always thought to be impossible to reach next level!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:40:42 am by starlord »

Amazingly ridiculous SMH.....
I hope the attorney handling this crap ends up fired for bad PR lmao!!
NBC really isn't doing itself any favors the last 10 years treating communities and fans like this.
I do not see Diaspora having any issues from it.
Plenty of Torrent shares to keep the stuff alive anyhow.
I got space for it too =)
Keep up the great work gents!!

Offline PhRey

• Composer
    • Ph.Rey Music
Although this doesn't prevent anything, it complicates things in a certain way, and spoils a bit the party...
I do not want to sound pessimistic, but it will be very difficult to change their minds...

Offline PhRey

• Composer
    • Ph.Rey Music
The more I think about it, the more I think it's really a strange attitude to ban a mod under the pretext that it can be a concurrency if any, for its own game This means that if someone does not like my game, I prefer him to go enrich concurrency (rather than allowing free play in a similar game) ?

It's a strange approach ... Unless it is a story of intellectual property, the strict (and stupid) enforcement of a right, without discernment... which could be more easily negotiable than a matter of concurrency...

It's irritating not to know which way came the shot, or who is holding the gun !

Offline joncfc

Is there any chance of an update? have you had the c&d yet?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If we get one, you'll know.

In the meanwhile I apologise if these events mean we go quieter than usual. It doesn't mean we're dead.

Offline starlord

yep! better safe than sorry!