Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856132 times)

Offline newman

Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
I doubt you'd find any member of our team who wouldn't agree it's (too) short. But the first release is always the hardest and it was really important to get R1 out already. The too short thing we can fix, that's the whole point of episodic releases :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Something

• Will Voice act for any mod
I hope R2 comes out soon, I loved the chaotic, messy, scary, *glorious* dogfights. It was just too gorram short. Great job all around although the lack of voice acting during briefing is odd (and no, it's not because of the memory bug you guys have talked about, I got the lack of VA for briefings the first time I played.)

Thanks for the compliments.
On the VA issue, do you mean to say that you heard no VA, ever? Because the VA bug will mean you will hear it for, say, the first 3 missions, then no longer if you play in one sitting.

In mission, the VA is utterly fine, never had it drop out. The mission brief beforehand though is silent. I played to the last level in one sitting without in mission problems.
Done voice work for :
TBP Relic mini-campaign - Released
Warzone Campaign
Olympus Burning

Very rarely do projects come along where people make successful presentations. Year after year, troves of games come out identical to each other, only to keep a huge profit margin regardless of user satisfaction....

And then, you get the few and rare independent developers that put passion, pain staking detail, and their own desire to do great into their product. This is where you guys sit. A game, released under a CC license, and not marketed to millions as Yet Another Game, has delivered where most fell short this past summer. My hats go off to all of you, once my frustration of being a crappy pilot subsided, I couldn't stop playing. I felt edge of my seat during the best battles and thoroughly addicted to the game. I cannot wait for the episodic releases of more campaigns, multiplayer to become stable, and to see where this goes!

PS, where can we donate for appreciation?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:22:36 am by thewizord »

Offline Blazar

Fracking Awesome.
I will be playing this for sure.
Thanks for making this!
 :)

Offline newman

PS, where can we donate for appreciation?

Taking any sort of money for this would, alas, be the fastest way to earn ourselves the wrong kind of attention and a C&D. This can't be said enough - none of us are making a dime out of this nor do we want to - because doing so would risk all those years of hard work we've put into this. You can always, however, donate to HLP to help the forum that gives us all a home cover it's hosting costs: http://www.hard-light.net/donate/

(the money donated in this way only covers HLP's hosting costs - none of our team members ever see that money but we do appreciate anyone who decides to help HLP stay afloat).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:48:31 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
my life!!

give me back my life dammit!   :p

just kidding, keep it.
el hombre vicio...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We've said that a few times ourselves. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Seeing our first newbie FREDder mission reminds me. There is actually a 9th Official Diaspora mission, it's in the FREDdocs folder and it's not balanced but if you want to try it, go ahead. :)

Just move it from FREDdocs to Missions and play it from the techroom.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Do you have any models done beside what is released? I remember a very pretty in-game screenshot of the Colonial One being shown a long, long time ago, maybe in the celebration thread. What happened to this model? I think it could come in handy for FREDers.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Since we have at least two more we've shown you pictures of, you can start fighting amongst yourselves about which one we're using for R2. :D
LOTS OF SPECULATION FOR EVERYONE

ENDING LIKE THE MATRIX?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Remember not to add a boss fight then, it would be too "video gamey." :P

Offline newman

Do you have any models done beside what is released? I remember a very pretty in-game screenshot of the Colonial One being shown a long, long time ago, maybe in the celebration thread. What happened to this model? I think it could come in handy for FREDers.

We have other models in various states of completion but in each case there was some reason for holding them back. Don't worry, R2 will expand the ship set nicely :)

Guys, I was there when BTRL went live. I loved EVERY SECOND of that mod. I religiously checked back for years, and was sad to see it go.

Imagine my surprise when I finally see that Diaspora was released! I had been skeptical, but my god was I in for a shocker. Loved it! You guys captured the new videogame feeling while dropping us right into the storyline of BSG. For a second I thought I was playing Ace Combat, but in SPACE!

You guys are awesome!

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
We have other models in various states of completion but in each case there was some reason for holding them back. Don't worry, R2 will expand the ship set nicely :)
I am curious about one certain ship, this one:

It was offered to BTRL back ages ago before the split, did it end up going with Diaspora, or staying with BTRL?
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
We never managed to get in contact with Hobbes. So unfortunately, that one isn't ours.

Of course he might be willing to reconsider now. :)

Offline newman

He was a very new member of BtRL when it split, and probably didn't really understand what was going on when it did so he might have been wary to pick sides, as it were. Just speculation, he was never really the talkative kind. I'm also a fan of his Vanguard class, if he should come back we'd love to have both him and the ship.

Offline crizza

Did I read something about a patch?
Maybe I overlooked it...but I wasn't able to find it.

Offline newman

There are some issues to fix, like the M6 CTD issues some people are having, so yes there'll be patches. But there haven't been any official announcements, we're not there yet.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Just finished. Did the cowardly thing in the final mission - was that setting up the battlestar that the next "Episode" will follow?

Loved it guys, I got afflicted by the crashing bug in M6, but the old collision model fixed it.

Utterly fantastic.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'd love to have the Vanguard in game, but we'd need Hobbes' permission and would want him ideally to do the in-game version.

We wanted to have an open for future releases if players wanted to consider their Galactica pilot as the one from R1. I can safely say R2 involves a different set of characters.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock