Author Topic: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice v1.0 (Windows, Mac & Linux)  (Read 856247 times)

Offline joncfc

Re: [RELEASE] Diaspora: Shattered Armistice
i check this forum every day for years and the first day i dont i find its been released!!

well done chaps :-)

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I have played the game up to mission 6, where it crashes so I guess I will wait for the patch.
Awesome work!

The only issue I have is with the new lead indicator.. why? This method of aiming involves putting two moving things on one another (the moving crosshair and the moving enemy fighter) instead of just putting stationary crosshair on moving lead indicator like in FS. Its harder to use than the old method since you have to track and sync two movements instead of just one.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Because Diaspora isn't Freespace. And because the immersion factor matters. And also because if you don't like it, you can fix it yourself ! That's the point of such a moddable engine.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline newman

Gameplay is supposed to differ from FS2. Not because that in itself was the goal, but because flight and combat in BSG are quite different to that universe. The gunsight we use is modeled after some real military fighters, so it's not like it's a system that couldn't ever work - it's just a matter of getting used to a different way of targeting. It has it's drawbacks and it has it's advantages.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I personally find it easier to use than FS2's method.  How hard would that be for me to add to the MediaVP's for use in the main FS2 campaign?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Thank the Gods I have been completely ignorant about BSG when I first heard about this project and had totally forgotten by the time I had sucked up the series and Caprica like a thirsty horse.
The wait would have killed me! But this really was an awesome surprise out of nowhere for me and I'm loving it!

Good job peeps, this truly is the BSG game no one in the commercial space had the sensibility to make.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The current gunsight system since it shows where your bullets are going is actually more accurate than a lead indicator.

But the Cylon HUD in MP uses a more traditional lead indicator and should overall feel more "gamey." (of course no one can see it until we get patch 1 out due to a silly last minute coding error :p )
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It's not the team's fault in the least, but I think just the act of downloading the installer made MS Security Essentials start choking and wheezing, since it started spiking to high CPU usage at random intervals.  I'm currently in the middle of the world's longest full system scan to try to get it to play nice, and I think it might be getting a false positive from the installer to boot. I guess security programs are wary of toasters. :D

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Sucks that security software vendors picked up on the CNP so quickly. :C

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I personally find it easier to use than FS2's method.  How hard would that be for me to add to the MediaVP's for use in the main FS2 campaign?
This shouldn't be too difficult, take a look at the wiki to see how to do it. I also prefer a realistic LCOS to FS-style lead indicator.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
I personally really like the aim technique.  It feels like I'm aiming at the enemy fighter instead of trying to hit some tiny lead indicator.

Also the subtle aim correction was a nice touch considering the needed engagement ranges.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
LCOS = "your rounds will hit here"  vs.  tradition FS = "you need to point here to hit target x"

With an LCOS a) you don't need to lock on to a target to hit it, and b) you can effectively place your shots where you calculate the enemy fighter will be at the time your rounds close in on him.

EDIT: Read this thread, very interesting:

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-1527.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:17:42 pm by jr2 »

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
That was another reason to go with it, you could keep another ship targeted while dogfighting.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
That was another reason to go with it, you could keep another ship targeted while dogfighting.
Though I think in Diaspora's implementation the indicator disappears when you are out of gun range, which makes that less useful than it could be.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

I just finished the final mission of Shattered Armistice, and man. My heart is racing and my hands are shaking from the adrenaline. The team has done an incredible job of capturing the feel of space battles from the show. That feeling of barely-controlled chaos, of tiny ships hurtling way too fast, of tracer fire and missile trails and flak blasts everywhere you look, it's superb. The visual flourishes are spot-on, the sound effects are perfect, and the original soundtrack is really authentic.

Fantastic work, everyone. I've desperately wanted a game like this since the first time I saw the show, and you've delivered in spades. I can't wait to see what the next episode has in store.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Though I think in Diaspora's implementation the indicator disappears when you are out of gun range, which makes that less useful than it could be.

Yeah, the current implementation basically takes the same distance algorithms of the lead indicator and applies them to the lead gunsight so it requires the current target's distance and velocity in order to work. It would be an interesting experiment to be able to actually implement EEGS as a HUD gauge. :P

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
It's not the team's fault in the least, but I think just the act of downloading the installer made MS Security Essentials start choking and wheezing, since it started spiking to high CPU usage at random intervals.  I'm currently in the middle of the world's longest full system scan to try to get it to play nice, and I think it might be getting a false positive from the installer to boot. I guess security programs are wary of toasters. :D

Yeah, Norton was giving me an "unsafe" call after I downloaded the installer. I basically told it to shut up. Nothing else horrid happened after that.

Yeah, the current implementation basically takes the same distance algorithms of the lead indicator and applies them to the lead gunsight so it requires the current target's distance and velocity in order to work. It would be an interesting experiment to be able to actually implement EEGS as a HUD gauge. :P

You guys remind me of how I was reading the manual for the DOS game F-15 Strike Eagle II, and how they talked about how the "historical gunsight" was used with the Vulcan cannon for a whole page.

Man, I should pull out some of my old combat flight sims again (then again, the sad reality is basically almost anything is doomed by an AMRAAM or a Paveway/Maverick fired right).
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Great job with what was there. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed because there wasn't more than eight missions there, but for a free game, I can't complain.

Is there more planned?
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh yes. We're already working on Release 2. You'll see more updates on the dev blog in the near future.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Holly crap! You guys were silent for so long, I hadn't visited the forum in many weeks!  Use to follow the BTRL every day. Now it was getting that I'd check once a month, and then once every 2 months. Just when I almost forget completely, BAM! It was released 3 days ago! XD Such a great job you all did.  I am having so much fun.  Great to finally see this project on the Partially/Fully Released side of the forums.   The non-released side is starting to get rather small now.