Author Topic: Multiplayer idea - "Capital Ship encounter"  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Zombi

Multiplayer idea - "Capital Ship encounter"
I wonder if its possible to make such Team VS Team match type, where 2 npc capital ships in any combination(human vs cylon, cylon vs cylon, human vs human) fight eachother and the players job on both side is to assist its capital ship.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Multiplayer idea - "Capital Ship encounter"
it's perfectly possible, it's even a quite standard TvT combination from retail FS2 TvT missions (usually cruiser vs cruiser). Should be quite easy to FRED.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

The only problem right now is that the basestars are extremely underpowered.  I've done some fred tests and a single battlestar can fend off 3 basestars.  I should create a mission and just see how many basestars it takes to truly overwhelm a Sobek...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Nothing prevents you to switch the Light Missile launchers on the basestar for Heavy Missiles. Nor to use armor classes and/or special hitpoints to make them more resistant.

You can also lock some of the turrets of the Sobek and/or switch them to less powerful weapons and/or use armor classes to make it more vulnerable.

The possibilities are vast !
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The only problem right now is that the basestars are extremely underpowered.  I've done some fred tests and a single battlestar can fend off 3 basestars.  I should create a mission and just see how many basestars it takes to truly overwhelm a Sobek...
Wasn't it like that in the show, too? I'm pretty sure Galactica held against such odds at least once, and it's older than the Sobek. Basestar's most powerful weapon are it's Raiders, it's pretty wimpy by itself.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The Galactica is older but definitely more powerful than the Sobek. But yes, in the show the Cylons found it very difficult to land punches on the Galactica or Pegasus. We may have leaned a tiny bit too far in that direction but we're not being hugely unfair.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dukayn

I've actually got one of these half-FREDed up.  I should finish it...

Offline Cerebus

just look at the two side by side and consider their construction.  The battlestars are meant to be able to take abuse, the baseship wasn't designed with that in mind as much. 

Offline Cerebus

oh, and here's a "capital ship encounter" co-op for you, still a work in progress.  once it's done, I'm going to go in and try to set it up so humans can play on the cylon side

let me know about any problems you run into in the 3rd party mission thread below.   I just adapted it to co-op and it played fine for me...   

The lore concept I'm working around is that the fleet never really fully trusted the CMP and enough of the Colonials were able to regroup and fend of the cylon attack.  That being said, multiple worlds were nuked, with all the implications (humanitarian) that that involves.  The 12 colonies suffered a nuclear disaster, but not total annihilation...

The Mission:  Intelligence gathered from hundreds of biologically made cylons, we've been calling them skinjobs, has indicated that the cylons had intended a coup de gras with the CMP shut down virus, and did not have the resources to complete their plans of holocaust against our people while facing our defense.  While many of our resources are dedicating to saving the lives of our citizens and preparing for counter offensive, these skinjobs have given us some other poignant intelligence, they've indicated a weak spot. The Battlestar Cerberus has been sent on special assignment to locate a basestar containing original copies of many of the cylon biological models.  Our scientists have also provided us with an experimental "resurection jammer" so just maybe we can send these frakers strait to hades..  Once located our orders are clear, destroy that baseship and it's VIP targets, and inflict as much damage as possible while in enemy territory.  Once this VIP vessel is destroyed, return to Canceron for biovac ops.

Almost forgot to mention, we've put together a frigate group , call sign: Spectrum, to be within range for backup if required.  They'll be providing long range picketing in your area of operations but will keep an FTL fix during your mission.     

o
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82224.0

you'll note that the battlestar will do well if it's able to keep it's flak defenses up, and can take on quite a few baseships, but if it's bracketed like the pegasus was it'll get jacked up, you'll find it in here actually, it doesn't play out the same every time due to positioning of the ships, and what you do or dont do will effect what happens

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:06:58 pm by Cerebus »