Author Topic: [RELEASE] Reunion Act 1  (Read 17875 times)

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
Re: [RELEASE] Reunion Open Beta
Major update!

Fixes:

- Replaced and rebalanced the Chiron, the Pantheon and the Rhea
- Added a save/load checkpoint feature to the longer missions
- Buffed the UD-10 Claymore
- Replaced some out-of-place music tracks
- Rebalanced the fighter AI in many combat encounters
- Replaced mission 7's skybox
- Modified the carrier launch sequence in Mission 3
- Gave a facelift to the new Vasudan weapons
- Fixed a rare bug where some mission-critical ships unexpectedly died
- Rearmed most of the civilian ships with their own weapon variants
- Made several other significant gameplay, mission and balance changes
- Updated the original post to reflect the current status of the mod more accurately

Many thanks once again to everyone who gave their thoughts on this project, either in the thread, on Discord or in PMs.

Offline Madeye

• Knowledge is power
Re: [RELEASE] Reunion Act 1
After update I no longer have access to the campaign (active campaign cannot be found) :(
I verified file integrity, got "no problems detected".

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I had the same issue -  the campaign doesn't show up.

The ships are still there in the F3 ship viewer, however one has a problem as you can see in the screenshot.

Hope this helps :-)

NB if the image doesn't show, it reads:

Error: There are 2 primary banks in the model file, but only 1 primary bank specified for GTF Sigyn. This must be fixed, as it will cause crashes.

File: ship.cpp
Line: 9489

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:06:10 am by Iain Baker »
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

When I load the mod, the campaign doesn't show up in the campaign room.

Yep...only the vanilla campaign was in the campaign room

Voelkel ppl needs hotfix

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
He might be a little busy ATM - he told me his wife was just about to have a baby so he wanted to get everything done before the patter of tiny feet and a chronic lack of sleep grinds mod deving to a halt  :) 
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
Sorry about that! A hotfix should be out now.

Also, apologies that I didn't get it fixed earlier, my kid was born this Friday.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Congrats on the new rugrat!

Looking forward to playing this as I finally get back to playing FS2 after a pretty long hiatus.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Congratulations on the little sproglet  :yes: :nod:

Just fired up the campaign and I can confirm it works, and the offending Sigyn has been removed (going by the F3 ship viewer thingy).

I'll play it properly during the week :-)

Let me know if/when you want me to proof-read it  :)

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
First off, I'm seriously having a blast so far! Really tight mission crafting, really having fun with this.

One thing that I'm struggling with (and this is by no means a problem unique to this campaign) is...how am i supposed to really decide between weapons? The UD-10 Claymore is listed as a "6 hull, 5 shield, standard issue" while the Prometheus X is listed as "5 hull 4 shield, medium energy usage". It's a) not at all clear how rate of fire plays into those ratings and b) not clear how either of them actually consume energy since "standard issue" and "medium energy usage" could easily both mean the same thing. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other besides personal preference of "shoot faster with less damage" versus "shoot slower with more damage"?

Another issue (and apologies, this is again not unique to your campaign)... is it possible to have instructions like "Press 1" read dynamically from user settings? For example I tend to rebind 1 to cycle primaries, but i know that mods with scripted commands use the "multiplayer message all", which defaults to 1...so I know to just use whatever button I've bound that to. Is it possible to have the objective/commands read the user bindings? That might be more of a SCP team question I guess...

Seriously though, awesome work.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:20:59 pm by theperfectdrugsk »

Hi, playing your mod right now, I really like it!

Looking through the tech room descriptions, I've encountered one bug: On the current nightly for Linux,
the game crashes when I select the GTFr Parthenon, being unable to read "sizif.pof"
I don't know if the same issue ocurs on other engine versions.

That model isn't used in the published ACT1 as far as I can tell, so this bug doesn't detract anything from a great experience yet.

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
Congrats on the new rugrat!

Looking forward to playing this as I finally get back to playing FS2 after a pretty long hiatus.

Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy it!

Congratulations on the little sproglet  :yes: :nod:

Just fired up the campaign and I can confirm it works, and the offending Sigyn has been removed (going by the F3 ship viewer thingy).

I'll play it properly during the week :-)

Let me know if/when you want me to proof-read it  :)

Thank you! I still have a few tweaks left, but I'll send it over once it's done :)

First off, I'm seriously having a blast so far! Really tight mission crafting, really having fun with this.

One thing that I'm struggling with (and this is by no means a problem unique to this campaign) is...how am i supposed to really decide between weapons? The UD-10 Claymore is listed as a "6 hull, 5 shield, standard issue" while the Prometheus X is listed as "5 hull 4 shield, medium energy usage". It's a) not at all clear how rate of fire plays into those ratings and b) not clear how either of them actually consume energy since "standard issue" and "medium energy usage" could easily both mean the same thing. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other besides personal preference of "shoot faster with less damage" versus "shoot slower with more damage"?

Another issue (and apologies, this is again not unique to your campaign)... is it possible to have instructions like "Press 1" read dynamically from user settings? For example I tend to rebind 1 to cycle primaries, but i know that mods with scripted commands use the "multiplayer message all", which defaults to 1...so I know to just use whatever button I've bound that to. Is it possible to have the objective/commands read the user bindings? That might be more of a SCP team question I guess...

Seriously though, awesome work.

Thank you! Glad to hear you enjoy the campaign!

Tech descriptions in general are arguably the weakest aspect of the mod, I'll be working on enhancing this aspect when I get the time. With gun descriptions, I'll most likely go with calculating the same parameters for the Reunion guns that we can see in the MediaVPS upgrade.

Hi, playing your mod right now, I really like it!

Looking through the tech room descriptions, I've encountered one bug: On the current nightly for Linux,
the game crashes when I select the GTFr Parthenon, being unable to read "sizif.pof"
I don't know if the same issue ocurs on other engine versions.

That model isn't used in the published ACT1 as far as I can tell, so this bug doesn't detract anything from a great experience yet.

Thank you, I'm glad to hear you like the mod!

The offending ship is one I replaced with another freighter class, but I've yet to remove in from the tables as well! This issue should not be a problem during the campaign itself, but I'll fix it with the next update! :)

------------

I'll be enjoying a few weeks of hiatus due to parenting stuff, but I'll hopefully get back to working on Act 2 during the summer.

In the meantime, I'm looking for someone who has experience with custom fonts! It should not be much of an issue, but I seem to be unable to make progress on it, if you can help me, please contact me either here or via PMs! Thank you! :)

I FINALLY beat mission 5 tonight and proceeded to complete the rest of the campaign.  Hope to see part 2 not too long from now

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi there!

I have now played through the new and improved version f the campaign. Much better! Only thing I noticed was that the skyboxes on the last few levels had the hard edges and angles some of the earlier levels had in earlier builds. You fixed those so I'm confident you can fix these too when you have the time and aren't too sleep deprived?  :p

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
I FINALLY beat mission 5 tonight and proceeded to complete the rest of the campaign.  Hope to see part 2 not too long from now

Glad to hear that! I'm working on Act 2, but not sure when it'll be finished. It's about 10% complete right now.

Hi there!

I have now played through the new and improved version f the campaign. Much better! Only thing I noticed was that the skyboxes on the last few levels had the hard edges and angles some of the earlier levels had in earlier builds. You fixed those so I'm confident you can fix these too when you have the time and aren't too sleep deprived?  :p

Sure thing! I'll make sure to explore my options when I have the chance!

Also, just a quick heads up, I'm writing the SEXPs of Act 2 in a way that it's fully TTS-compatible.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:32:47 am by Voelkel »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'm a. It late to the party, but I'm a busy guy.   This is now added to my queue 😉😉
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
I'm a. It late to the party, but I'm a busy guy.   This is now added to my queue 😉😉

Enjoy! I'm also interested in hearing your feedback!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Just got around to playing this, and finished it yesterday.  Impressive work!

The Good:
  • The campaign shows a very high level of technical skill.  Mission design, event handling, mastery of the different aspects of FRED, etc.
  • Similarly, the gameplay works very well.  There are a variety of fun and interesting missions.  I'm sure that you learned quite a bit by practicing in your first three projects, because this fourth campaign feels mature and polished.
  • The characterization was effective and added some texture to the story.  (And the fact that Alpha wing had plot armor meant that I could send them into hazardous situations.)
  • There are several intriguing loose ends in Act I which I'm sure will be followed up in future Acts.  I'm looking forward to seeing where these go.
  • Spoiler:
    I also liked the double-meaning of "Reunion" that subverted your expectations.  And it was quite a twist to see what happened in the final mission.  That sort of twist had been discussed on HLP in the past, but I think you're the first person who has actually released a campaign where it happens.

The Bad:
  • There was an enormous difficulty spike on mission 6, Showdown.  I found the difficulty in the rest of the campaign to be manageable, but on this particular mission I tried multiple attempts, using multiple fighters and loadouts, without success.  There was just way too much going on and I kept either getting killed or losing some objective.  I issued plenty of orders to my wingmen, but it didn't seem to help.  I finally beat the mission by ignoring the mission recommendations and just telling everyone to guard the GVD Nekhen while sending Kappa's heavy bombers against the Forseti.
  • The briefings mention a few newly discovered star systems.  It would be nice to have more information on where they are and what canon systems they link to.
  • "Isolationists" is an odd name for a group that is a member of an alliance of two species and dozens of star systems.
  • Spelling! :P

The Ugly:
  • I found it very hard to believe that a Terran faction would be against the Sol Gate.  The NTF rebellion occurred because Bosch promised the Lost Generation a metaphorical Earth, which indicates that the desire for Earth is a core part of the identity of the Lost Generation, even the ones who didn't actually rebel.  So the desire for the actual Earth would be that much stronger.  And yet, the Isolationists represent a complete 180 degree turn from that.  It just doesn't make any sense.

Overall though, this was a lot of fun to play, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce next. :yes:

Offline Voelkel

• Reunion dev
Just got around to playing this, and finished it yesterday.  Impressive work!

The Good:
  • The campaign shows a very high level of technical skill.  Mission design, event handling, mastery of the different aspects of FRED, etc.
  • Similarly, the gameplay works very well.  There are a variety of fun and interesting missions.  I'm sure that you learned quite a bit by practicing in your first three projects, because this fourth campaign feels mature and polished.
  • The characterization was effective and added some texture to the story.  (And the fact that Alpha wing had plot armor meant that I could send them into hazardous situations.)
  • There are several intriguing loose ends in Act I which I'm sure will be followed up in future Acts.  I'm looking forward to seeing where these go.
  • Spoiler:
    I also liked the double-meaning of "Reunion" that subverted your expectations.  And it was quite a twist to see what happened in the final mission.  That sort of twist had been discussed on HLP in the past, but I think you're the first person who has actually released a campaign where it happens.

The Bad:
  • There was an enormous difficulty spike on mission 6, Showdown.  I found the difficulty in the rest of the campaign to be manageable, but on this particular mission I tried multiple attempts, using multiple fighters and loadouts, without success.  There was just way too much going on and I kept either getting killed or losing some objective.  I issued plenty of orders to my wingmen, but it didn't seem to help.  I finally beat the mission by ignoring the mission recommendations and just telling everyone to guard the GVD Nekhen while sending Kappa's heavy bombers against the Forseti.
  • The briefings mention a few newly discovered star systems.  It would be nice to have more information on where they are and what canon systems they link to.
  • "Isolationists" is an odd name for a group that is a member of an alliance of two species and dozens of star systems.
  • Spelling! :P

The Ugly:
  • I found it very hard to believe that a Terran faction would be against the Sol Gate.  The NTF rebellion occurred because Bosch promised the Lost Generation a metaphorical Earth, which indicates that the desire for Earth is a core part of the identity of the Lost Generation, even the ones who didn't actually rebel.  So the desire for the actual Earth would be that much stronger.  And yet, the Isolationists represent a complete 180 degree turn from that.  It just doesn't make any sense.

Overall though, this was a lot of fun to play, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce next. :yes:

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad to hear you've had an overall positive experience :)

I'll comment on the bad and ugly feedback:
  • Others have noted balance issues with missions 5 and 6 as well; I'm already exploring my options at making these missions more streamlined, but I don't want to make them too easy either  :)
  • The newly discovered star systems will be a highlight of the upcoming acts, I'll also make sure to elaborate the way they're connected to the canon star systems and how they were discovered.
  • Sorry about the occasional grammar and spelling mistakes, I'm not a native speaker, but I did my best. :) Iain has already offered his help with this issue, I'll take him up to it soon enough :)
  • I decided to explore the rise of an Isolationist faction because I wanted to create a civil war setting that has not been introduced by other campaigns yet. I tried to give it a believable in-game ideological backing, but I'll make sure to address the points you raised in the faction's upcoming in-depth tech description :).