Author Topic: What's the size of the SSD for this mod?  (Read 19009 times)

What's the size of the SSD for this mod?
It's just crossed my mind...How long is the SSD in this Campaign?

Because, In the pic in the Screenshots thread, the SSD looks to be 8 km long...

BUT!

It is in fact 17.6 km long[/I][/U]

Just to tell ya, oh and you can find the info on the length here:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/ssd.html

I hope this helps, and if the SSD is already 17.6 km long, you can lock this thread

Cor

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
No its not. That place is garbage when it comes to that. The SSD has never anywhere else been 17.km long. They try to measure using real life physics which is again wrong for sci fi in anyway other than trying to out nerd someone.

Besides, if it were that big, then the Eclipse would have been a hella pussy of a ship and would have had to made some significant advances in reactor tech and so on to be able to carry more weapons than the SSD and have a superlaser, carry 8x the amount of TIES and more Walkers, along with being smaller than the SSD.

Both of your answers were wrong.

The SSD is 12 KM long.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 06:13:26 pm by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
The mesh I currently have is scaled tot he 17.6km length, and honestly that's the most consistant tot he movies length that exists.

As for the Eclipse suddenly being any less powerful because it's a bit shorter, may I point out that mass is what matters in warship sizes and not length?

The Eclipse, even with a 17.6km long Executor is 4-5 times more massive.

As for garbage, what's garbage is the weak rationalization by SW.com to try and use a figure inbetween the fandom figure and the first official publication figure...The actual FILM MODEL has proportions that make it 11 times the length of the Imperator.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Yeah, you are right on some points (spose' it's a pet peeve of mine). The SSD was big, but I don't think it was that big. The only place I've seen it 17 km is the force. Everywhere else (encyclopedias, ship guides, etc) it has been 8 km (except SW.com) obviously.

I guess it just doesn't seem right. It was big, but it didn't seem that big.

while we're on it, I haven't played in a year; how big was the SSD in XWA?

Too Long, Didn't Read

That's it...I'm gone to play some XW:A...I'll reply back when I get the lengths from the game...

Cor

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
The X-wing games used the ship scaled to 8km, which made the ship somewhat disfigured.

In order to match some of the size-relations with the ISD, the tower was too big, they had to chop off a number of engines, and some other bits and pieces were missing as well.

Hmmm...I just checked it is 8 km...but that still doesn't add up...the ISDs in the game are 2 km...so...that ain't right...

11 ISDs are supposed to equal the length of 1 SSD...so...2x11...that's 22 km long...Ok...LucasArts f***ed up on the length big time...

But the length is supposed to be 17.6 km long...that would make a single ISD...hang on, lemme do the math...

1.6 km long for 1 star destroyer...that sounds about right.

Hmmm...LucasArts f***s up again!

Cor

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
isn't it supposed to have : 9 main engines, 4 'little' engines (2 on each side behind the main engines) The command tower begins at where the wings start and ends 1/4th the way down the 'coat tail'.

how many engines does the XWA have? and what other pieces are missing?

Cor: Yeah, ISD's are 1.6 km, not 2 :p And the only place i've seen the 11 thing is on theforce.net.

EDIT: If it is 17.6 km, then it seems to have alot of extra space compared to the ISD.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2003, 07:19:20 pm by 675 »

Too Long, Didn't Read

search google, for "super star destroyer length"

every link I've clicked has something pretaining to the 17.6 km length...be it by someone else, and ppl who have been contacted by theforce.net guy and agreed with him.

Here's a few examples just to prove myself:

found in the 3rd Paragraph: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/4733/empexctr.html

"according to calculations based on visual observation made by Curtis Saxton in his extensive Star Wars Technical Commentaries, the Executor was actually between eleven and twelve times the length of an Imperial-class Star Destroyer. This would then place its length at between 17,600 and 19,200 meters and make it even longer than the later Eclipse- and Sovereign-class Super Star Destroyers."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.hyperjump.net/swguides/sdguide/ssdstat.html

This site states the "8 km" length, but also has a note at the bottem of the page by the author of the site, about the 17.6 km length idea from again "Theforce.net guy"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, something from the official Star Wars Site:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/superstardestroyer/bts.html

They say it's 12.8 km in length, BUT, it started out as 8 km long.

I looked over the model of the SSD in XW:A it's missing 2 engines, and the hull is...well...rather smooth with just maps...there's supposed to be a whole bunch of greebles on it...but LucasArts skipped the greebling...too bad too...I really like the game other than that.

Now it's up to the campaign makers to see this info, and make up their own minds, should they change the length, or keep it?

That's my 2 cents worth for now.

Cor

Please go with what the real STAR WARS website said this other stuff is/not to be mean but it's "bull****". These are the people who have nothing better to do than whatch these movies over and over and pic out what THEY did not like about it.

I say go with LA's stuff and leave it at that all this other stuff and clames are nonsence, and should be forgotten.

I rest my cace.:ha:
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Alright, that sounds fair with me!

Offline NobAkimoto

• Rebel Hotshot
*Shrug* the only authoritive source on the subject matter is the actual filming model of the Executor.

Thus if a model's proportions make it scale to 11x the length of the Imperator, the other figures quoted anywhere else wouldn't matter.

Better to have an accurately proportioned model that matches the filming miniature than get panties in a bunch over a bunch of contradictory sites and sources.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
About the SSD size:

"
STAR WARS Exhibition
Several years ago many of the important props from the Lucasfilm Archives were put on public exhibition in San Francisco. According to Martyn Griffiths and Frank Bitterhof, many of the models were associated with in-house technical specification cards produced by ILM. The card relating to the Executor made an unambiguous statement that the vessel was eighteen kilometres long. The present fates of this card and others in its series are unknown to the general public
"
I think that settles the question.
SCREW CANON!

About the 12.8 km figure.  That came about because the WEG people were too timid to contradict an official source, so they took the real number (17.6km) and the bull**** number (8km) and just averaged them.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
SSD is 8.7km

that black ship in dark emperor  series is 16.3km
i got not any clue of that ship name
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by SILVER DRACON
SSD is 8.7km

No, it isn't.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
....does it really matter as long as it looks right?
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Some people don't care, some do.  It's always better to be correct and please both crowds.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Originally posted by SILVER DRACON
SSD is 8.7km

that black ship in dark emperor  series is 16.3km
i got not any clue of that ship name

Eclipse would be the uber-black ship.

*Still likes 8 km, but realises he won't win here*

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
my Friend who is Crazy SW Freak said that SSD is 8.7km but i thing it was bigger
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi